Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 25, 2024, 09:22:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Near or in break-up mode?
What Does it Take to Be in a Relationship
Is Your Relationship Breaking Down?
Escaping Conflict and the Karpman Drama Triangle
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: nearing the end...  (Read 422 times)
dog_star

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner
Relationship status: married

« on: September 07, 2014, 09:28:13 PM »

I have a wife who has diagnosed BPD. our therapist of 4 years has just about give up on her. she will not accept the diagnosis. today after my wife walked out of our couples session the therapist all but recommend divorce. something I have been thinking about for sometime.

so I am thinking of asking her to do inpatient treatment for it. the therapist did suggest it to her a few months ago but she did not go for it (at the time of diagnosis). but this time I was thinking about an ultimatum around it. I know this will probably not work and set her off.

I want to give it one last shot before I ask her for a divorce.

if people feel comfortable, I would be interested in recommendations on programs. and or people experience with the value of inpatient treatment. or any other thoughts for that matter... .like, "that does not sound like a good idea." Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)

thanks
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

waverider
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: married 8 yrs, together 16yrs

If YOU don't change, things will stay the same

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 06:31:51 AM »

Therapy of any kind will not do any good until she is open and ready for it.

Ultimatums are ultimately about trying to control and that is how she will see it.

If you can't continue the RS without positive steps for recovery then that is OK for a boundary if it is important to you. But you will need to be willing to go through with any action, bluffing with ultimatums will set you back further.

has your wife been seeing a therapists on her own rather than as a couple, which usually ends up combative and blame shifting getting nowhere

Reality is shared and open to debate, feelings are individual and real
maxsterling

Relationship status: living together, engaged

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 08:56:38 AM »

Waverider makes a good point.  If you say "get help or I'll leave", she's likely to just leave herself and make hell for you in the process.  Even if you do push her into some sort of therapy, she's likely to just put her butt in a chair to satisfy you. 

Honestly, I would not be with my fiance right now if she was not seeking therapy in her own.  And if she wasn't, or decides to stop, I would see no value of me trying to force her, because that is not the relationship I want. 

My advice is to make a decision about what to do based upon what you know now, without any expectations of change or "what ifs".

dog_star

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 11:43:18 AM »

thx for taking the time to reply wiverider and maxsterling.

yes she is going to therapy appointments on her own as well as the couples stuff.

unfortunately I am totally serious about a divorce, with all the pain emotional and financial that it will bring. at this point i would toss everything I have worked for over the past ten years away. every time we make up I feel sick becouse the relationship is going to continue.

ok so I did try the ultimatum. predictably it did not work and I am in a hotel. I do not know what to do. but I can not live the rest of my life like this... .
JohnLove

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 04:54:29 PM »

Hello dog_star. You already know what to do next. The next step. One foot at a time. I never said it would be easy.

Public inpatient treatment in my country revolves around removing people from society and medicating them. That's about it. It is only about protecting others and protecting them from themselves. It can give them a break from reality, to regroup, that's about it. There is no "treatment"... .it can feel like cruelty and reminds me of something out of the dark ages. The commonly prescribed medication can have some mind blowing side effects.

This is a VERY difficult disorder to treat, especially in the short term.

Just my experience.
dog_star

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 08:40:07 PM »

hmmmm... .  that does not sound positive.

here is an update on my situation. just had a face to face with her. tried to do a lot of validating and keep away from the drama of my somewhat ill conceived ultimatum/boundary. this did work some what - we got to a point where she could talk about her feeling with less rage. but still wants to lay the problems at my feet.

she volunteered that she is certain that she doesn't have BPD and that the diagnosis is only the opinion of our therapist (she got the diagnosis in the spring so she has had some time to think about it). she talked to one of her friends who has a bs in psychology who, of course, thought the idea of BPD was laughable. so she wants to stop seeing our therapist and go to some person who her friend suggested.

as maxsterling suggested she now wants to leave me unless I change.

man she can trun it around fast Smiling (click to insert in post)

she also say that the situation is largely my fault becouse I don't want to work on the relationship. if only she knew what I have been going though over the years... .  and especially the last six months after BPD became part of my vocabulary. of course this lack of understanding is all part of the BPD in my opinion. she is totally incapable of putting herself in my shoes.

waverider I never thought of an ultimatum as an attempt to control. but i see totally how that can be the case. she does it with me all the time. "love me how I derive... ." or x bad thing is going to happen. but I need to some how make a cut off point here becouse it is clear that I can not spend another year in this situation. I need some way so say my boundary without making it sound controlling. she is off to the interior of our state for a few days. so I plan on letting it rest until then.

maxsterling you are right. I want her to want to get better for herself, not becouse I am forcing to do it. as if I could. I was hopeful a few months ago that she would slowly warm up to the BPD idea and grab the bull by it horns. I feel very hopeless now. if she is in total denial about BPD. I don't see how she can ever heal. which means I have to accept more or less the current state. i can and have made changes that have improved things based on this site and other research. validation, boundaries, etc. this has slowed the screening matches on the phone and in the house. also I don't get sucked into the text game when she is deregulated. something I used to do all the time. i am certain that i have much more to learn. and with time this could improve more by working on my self.  but once again if she will not accept that she has a problem then I see no future for our family.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest