Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 23, 2024, 09:15:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I don't know how to help.  (Read 378 times)
Heavenly

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: September 20, 2014, 10:13:20 AM »

How do I help my daughter who has recently been diagnosed with BPD. The hospitals keep discharging her home and say there is nothing they can do, she is the resistant type. I can't get her to get help. She is making frequent suicide attempts and I don't know what each weekend will bring. I am so frustrated! My hear is aching and feels like it is breaking. Some days I feel like selling everything and walking away. I am loosing friends cause they say that this is what I should do... .Touch love, other say that it is my fault because I "pandered to her as a child", other say it's my fault because I have not been loving and king enough to her. I don't know what to think any more, or what do do any more. I am so frightened of loosing her all together. I am hoping that someone will understand.
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
MammaMia

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 12:08:18 PM »

Heavenly

Welcome to BPDF.  There are so many of us here with the exact situation you are facing.  It is so difficult to love someone with BPD because their disorder affects everyone around them.  It is a very serious mental illness, but there are methods to attempt to manage the symptoms, and this website is a wonderful resource to help with communication, what to expect, how to deal with it, and importantly, how to protect yourself and others from the chaos that is BPD.

Have you read up on BPD?  This is a must.  You will get honest and accurate information here. Please check out the Resources Board which includes workshops, videos, and reading lists.  The best source of information, once you have done that, is to chat with other parents on this board.  You will find that the symptoms of BPD are identical, despite the background and environment in which the sufferer grew up. There is a definite genetic factor at play.  Parents are often blamed for BPD in a child but studies have shown even the most wonderful, loving, and supportive parents have children with this disorder.  Bpd is malfunctioning of the brain.

How old is your daughter and when was she diagnosed?  It sounds as if she has been resistant to treatment, which, frankly, is very common.  Your dd is perfectly normal in her view, and the rest of humanity is crazy.  Right?  The perception of someone with BPD is skewed, and all that matters to them is their perception and their needs... .they can be quite cruel.

You are not alone.  We all understand BPD.  Please fill us in on the details and we will work on helping you.  You will find comfort and support here.  We are all in the same boat.

Thank you so much for joining us.  We look forward to hearing from you on the Parenting Board.
Elbry

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 03:16:15 PM »

Welcome

We understand.  My DD15 has also resisted treatment, for 2 years we have tried everything.  One T basically showed her to the door after sitting me down, handing me a printout on BPD, telling me there was nothing she could do and saying goodbye.  I understand your fear, my DD keeps trying to kill herself, the last 2 attempts were very serious and landed her in the ICU.  One of these times, if she keeps trying, she will succeed.  That is my biggest fear.  You will also find many parents here that have faced that blame game that is played, so many of us go through it.  You will find a lot of information and support here and you will find you are not alone.   
Heavenly

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 11:27:16 AM »

Thank you so much mammaMia and Elbry. It is such a relief to talk to someone that understands! My d was diagnosed only 6 months ago. My heart goes out to you Elbry. Tell me more about you and your family / journey. I have started to check out the board and videos. I am still trying to make sense of it all. Is there evidence  of neuro changes? I have studied neuroscience a little and this may help me to grasp big pieces of the picture that I feel I am not seeing. Thank you so much. I already value you as precious souls,
mama72

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 12:32:41 PM »

Welcome

Hi, Heavenly! I have an upbdd17 and I know just how you feel, as do many here. I am not sure about the neuro data. In my reading, I think there has been some evidence of frontal cortex disfunction? This is me playing armchair psychiatrist, but with all the research over the years on mental illness, I feel like I could pass the psychiatric boards! You would probably have a hard time finding a doctor that would order the imaging though.

This site is a wonderful source of information for dealing with your dd. Each child is different, though, and each matures at their own pace. Life with my dd had been relatively quite, so either WE are learning or the next shoe will be dropped. I am just enjoying the peace, and trying to ignore the constant underlying fear.

Cannot stress enough to find time for yourself. Running helps me cope with my stress, as well as nature.
qcarolr
Distinguished Member

Relationship status: Married to DH since 1976

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 05:18:30 PM »

Hi Heavenly,

I am glad you found us. There is a lot of info here. It is a good idea to get a book too. I have read several and "Overcoming BPD" by Valerie Porr has a really good focus on parents loving their kids of all ages with BPD. She incorporates the current neuroscience research into her book. I really appreciated that. There is a review under Foundation Reading in the sidebar to the right.

My fantasy is to fill the car with gas and drive until it runs out. That is where I will start my life over. When this fantasy starts to take on a 'real life' in my mind, that is when I know to reach out to my support network. Who do you have in your life that can help you during this really difficult time? Self-care is necessary to find the energy and courage to put all these tools and info to work.

Excerpt
Hi I have a 23 yr old daughter, recently diagnosed. She has been on and off suicidal since 16, and I have been trying to get her to engage in therapy. Her attempts usually coincide with binge drinking ? Drugs and nights on the town. The next day she says she doesn't  want to talk about it and gets angry. I really feel like I am walking on eye shells in my own home. She still lives at home. Each times she moves out it doesn't last long and she attempts suicide again.

I copied this from your post "Newbie". Do you know of any dual-dx programs in your area? They focus on both the alcohol/drug use and the mental health issues. They really do seem to 'feed' off of each other.  I have experienced with my DD28 that if she gets off the street drugs she is better able to respond to treatment. She has a 6-8 week pattern of putting effort into getting better, then she gets overwhelmed and returns to the friends with drugs. Down the spiral she slips.

Amazingly though our relationship has improved over the past couple of years. Still a roller coaster ride; I still get depressed and distressed; she ends up with serious consequences for her raging anger. Yet, when she is clean, there is a sense of self-reflection and accepting her part in the trouble she has been in. She desires to live a better lifestyle. I am hopeful that the mental health team she has right now will stick together for her and her with them.

Working through the resources here and then practicing the tools everywhere in my life has contributed to the improvements, little by little. Building a support network for myself has been a life saver as well. T's, dh, faith, friends, mentor with support group... .  What do you have for yourself? This disease takes so much out of us -- we have to become willing to take care of ourselves. This is so hard after years of putting DD's needs first.

Excerpt
She tried anti depressants and was a little better but put on weight so stopped taking them. She was then even more miserable and hypersensitive since she has not been able to loose weight. Partly because her eating is also so erratic and she gets up in the night to eat sweets.

My DD has struggled with this too. She has learned to be very clear with her pdoc's about this side effect. There are some to try that do not cause weight gain. Meds. don't work if our kids don't take them! Is your D currently seeing a therapist? Does she allow you to speak to the T? Our young adult kids need their family to be there. This is so hard with all the privacy laws now - starting in mental health at 16 in our state.

Excerpt
When she is suicidal she usually calls her dad and his partner and gives them a tirade of abuse. She was very close to him before our marriage broke down when she was 11. He very quickly  moved on with another lady and her kids. This seems to be a big trigger for her. She loves him but he keeps letting her down with empty promises that things will change.

This sounds like a very big trigger for her. When she is distressed and reaches out to him in a way that pushes him away. This is one of the hardest lessons for me to learn. That DD's raging and anger push me away when she most needs to feel worthy of my love. Even when I understand this as a projection of her own feelings against herself it is hard to stay safely connected to her.

It is easy as a loving parent to try and carry the entire burden of our child's BPD as if it is something we could have prevented or at least made better. Sadly, our culture supports the guilt and shame instead of supporting the parents in connecting in healthier ways with their kids.

Please be kind to yourself with this. As you read and learn here I hope you can experience that understanding and relief of letting go of this burden. Please come back and let us know how things are going. If you have any questions, need support, or just need to vent, we are here for you. We understand. We care.

qcr

The best criticism of the bad is the practice of the better. (Dom Helder)
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest