Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 19, 2024, 01:26:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Depression = 72% of members
Take the test, read about the implications, and check out the remedies.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: will a BPD , being abused understand she is being abused?  (Read 372 times)
borderdude

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner

« on: September 25, 2014, 01:23:01 PM »

Does she even have the mental capasity, confirm she is being abused?

So lets say she does not , will she experience some impact later on like depression , etc, and make the connection?

I know a relationship where she is exploiyed  when he need sex, she might abuse him too, not shure.

She has a history of abusive relationships, beating and mental assaults.
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

HappyChappy

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 03:37:05 AM »

My BPDm has taken abuse from her GC NPD son (my B). Yet she will defend his clearly indefensible behaviour time and time again. My Dad has said many times, my NPD isn't allowed in his house - my BPDm just laughs that off, overrulles and opens up to more abuse from him. He once slapped her and raged because his Dinner wasn't on the table when he wanted it. She has also done this with a neighbour spinster who lived alone, no friends. Every time she was invited over she would be abusive to us all, especially my BPDm. We would say no she isn't coming over, she again would overrule and invite this (possible NPD) woman back. So in answer to your question, I believe this is an example of the conflict a BPD has between the real world and her fantasy world. Between her conscious and unconscious thoughts and behaviour. Aware of some things and not others.

In terms of how abuse effects a BPD, I think it’s markedly different. Consider the vampire analogy, a BPD will thrive on an argument, nons get drained. Consider Rianna’s song lyric “I like it when it hurts”. I know my BPDm had a harrowing upbringing, and goes calm when things kick off, as she’s in her element. She normaly kicks things off. But in peace time, she’s restless, irritable and aggressive. Always trying to provoke someone. I've often read, a BPD may not be aware of where her provokactions lead her, but she's aware.

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go. Wilde.
AnnaK

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 04:42:46 AM »

My BPDm has taken abuse from her GC NPD son (my B). Yet she will defend his clearly indefensible behaviour time and time again. My Dad has said many times, my NPD isn't allowed in his house - my BPDm just laughs that off, overrulles and opens up to more abuse from him. He once slapped her and raged because his Dinner wasn't on the table when he wanted it. She has also done this with a neighbour spinster who lived alone, no friends. Every time she was invited over she would be abusive to us all, especially my BPDm. We would say no she isn't coming over, she again would overrule and invite this (possible NPD) woman back. So in answer to your question, I believe this is an example of the conflict a BPD has between the real world and her fantasy world. Between her conscious and unconscious thoughts and behaviour. Aware of some things and not others.

In terms of how abuse effects a BPD, I think it’s markedly different. Consider the vampire analogy, a BPD will thrive on an argument, nons get drained. Consider Rianna’s song lyric “I like it when it hurts”. I know my BPDm had a harrowing upbringing, and goes calm when things kick off, as she’s in her element. She normaly kicks things off. But in peace time, she’s restless, irritable and aggressive. Always trying to provoke someone. I've often read, a BPD may not be aware of where her provokactions lead her, but she's aware.

It´s very strange, my BPD-bf finally attacked me drunk, but being a muay thai fighter (he´s a boxer), I kept him out of range, so he could not touch me. Nobody got hurt. But I swear, since then he looked at me as if now I am going to abuse him. Like in his system of coordinate, whoever is stronger is supposed to abuse the other, and I was in position to kick him, while he could not use his fists... .

Obviously in my system of coordinates, it´s irrelevant for the most household purposes, who has a better punch.

hope2727

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2014, 02:20:04 PM »

"Like in his system of coordinate, whoever is stronger is supposed to abuse the other"

That is so interesting. My BPD was in a long term abusive marriage where he was the victim. It wouldn't surprise me if she was BPD too. Then he was stable with me for a long time. Then he went to a new job with a NPD person who treats him like an abused spouse. Uses him then throws him away. He immediately started treating me with verbal and emotional abuse. I pointed out that he has turned from victim to perpetrator and for a moment he recognized it. Then he projected it onto me and said I abused him. Interesting. Perhaps they simply can't stand baseline normal healthy interactions. They have to have either the victim or abuser role not ever having learned any other.
waverider
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: married 8 yrs, together 16yrs

If YOU don't change, things will stay the same

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2014, 04:46:46 PM »

Lack of a sense of self and accordingly lack of their own boundaries commonly puts them in this situation. Almost like self degradation is a form of self harm, or even validating their own sense of worthlessness.

At times bad attention is better than no attention, the focus is still on them. He hits ME, or yells at ME, he blames ME. "I" am worthless.

They can welcome or accept the abuse because it fits in with their view of the world at that time. Later they will see it for what it is, and then add some. Hence the histories of how they have been mistreated by everyone they ever knew. It is what they expect, and why they freely accuse you of being no different.

Fight or flight makes them feel alive. They dont do indifference or middle ground very well, everything is extreme.

This abuse they can then project onto someone else, often in a different form, but that is often the origins of the abuse they dish out.

Reality is shared and open to debate, feelings are individual and real
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest