Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 24, 2024, 03:47:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BPD and multiple personalities  (Read 476 times)
borderdude

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner

« on: October 04, 2014, 09:38:27 PM »

I got two BPD encounters in my life, both have signs of multiple personalities.

One thing to mention, where those personalities complete?

In a person with multiple personalities, I expect those to be fully working independent personas.

While in a BPD , in the cases I have encountered I remarked those personalities had more structure , they where correlated , dependent, you might say two aspects of the same person.

Another thing, personalities in BPD are not complete, sinse they crave narsisistic supply. They need supply from another external object to become complete.

So if I am right in my little theory, a BPD with npd cannot have completly dependent muliple personalities... .?

ANY COMMENT!
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Rockylove

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 05:47:06 PM »

... .While in a BPD , in the cases I have encountered I remarked those personalities had more structure , they where correlated , dependent, you might say two aspects of the same person.

Another thing, personalities in BPD are not complete, since they crave narcissistic supply. They need supply from another external object to become complete.

So if I am right in my little theory, a BPD with npd cannot have completely dependent multiple personalities... .?

I can only say what I know from my experience with my husband.  He is so uncertain of his identity that having two complete personalities almost seems a joke.  Yes, I do see him with 2 ALMOST distinct personalities (thus the Jekyll and Hyde), but they are so intertwined and are VERY aware of their connection~~unlike what I know of multiple personalities where they will not identify themselves with the other but manifest themselves as individuals.
christoff522

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 06:02:23 PM »

I got two BPD encounters in my life, both have signs of multiple personalities.

One thing to mention, where those personalities complete?

In a person with multiple personalities, I expect those to be fully working independent personas.

While in a BPD , in the cases I have encountered I remarked those personalities had more structure , they where correlated , dependent, you might say two aspects of the same person.

Another thing, personalities in BPD are not complete, sinse they crave narsisistic supply. They need supply from another external object to become complete.

So if I am right in my little theory, a BPD with npd cannot have completly dependent muliple personalities... .?

ANY COMMENT!

They're not multiple 'personalities' but multiple personality traits.

A personality is an identity, a consciousness with its own established emotional patterns. For example, a 60 year old white man could have multiple personalities including a 15 year old black girl, a spanish sailor, a 26 year old college student, They're all individuals with their own identities, beliefs and opinions.

A BPD who is one minute loving and happy, then the other hateful and angry is not the same thing... sure for us it's jarring, but they're personality traits that arise due to emotional instability (BPD is professionally known as emotional instability disorder). The way a BPD behaves is adaptations to compensate for this disorder, BPDs are narcisstic due to low self-esteem, seek out partners due to fear of being alone, hate weakness in others because they're weak themselves etc

BPD's have perpetual emptiness, and so seek relationships with others to make themselves complete. You've got to feel for them... the best way to look at a BPD is like somebody on autopilot, just trying to survive, acting robotically to internal and external stimuli. They don't know themselves and what they want - because their emotions flit constantly, they don't know what they love - because what they love changes all the time. You see, not only do their interpersonal relationships suffer, their entire lives and careers suffer.
waverider
Retired Staff

Relationship status: married 8 yrs, together 16yrs

If YOU don't change, things will stay the same

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 05:48:47 AM »

pwBPD rarely feel complete, this is half of their problem. The other half is trying to cover up the fear of discovery of this fact.

Reality is shared and open to debate, feelings are individual and real
borderdude

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 07:48:34 AM »

pwBPD rarely feel complete, this is half of their problem. The other half is trying to cover up the fear of discovery of this fact.

I actually experienced this , my BPD ex where suddenly "feeding" of me that day , since her bf left, few days later she was back to her old patterns with the bf back, and I was not in her reality anymore.

I am put in a backup guy category , when her rs is shaky , she need some new narcistic supply "at once", don't think she can handle the pain.

when I broke up with her she had went without supply for a while , she acted more and more child-like ... .spooky!
Wrongturn1

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2014, 09:01:36 AM »

For what it's worth, my sister is an M.D. psychiatrist, and one day I deftly turned a conversation with her to the topic of BPD (I have not told her I suspect my wife is BPD). 

My sister's professional opinion was that she does not view dissociative identity disorder (":)ID", formerly called "multiple personality disorder" as a separate/independent disorder in and of itself; rather, she considers DID to be an extreme manifestation of BPD, where the patient has no sense of self and so invents and simultaneously carries around lots of separate identities that they manifest at various times.
borderdude

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2014, 09:35:41 AM »

For what it's worth, my sister is an M.D. psychiatrist, and one day I deftly turned a conversation with her to the topic of BPD (I have not told her I suspect my wife is BPD).  

My sister's professional opinion was that she does not view dissociative identity disorder (":)ID", formerly called "multiple personality disorder" as a separate/independent disorder in and of itself; rather, she considers DID to be an extreme manifestation of BPD, where the patient has no sense of self and so invents and simultaneously carries around lots of separate identities that they manifest at various times.

I know a woman , she has 5 COMPLETE personalities, they are totally  independent as far as I know, she does not show NPD traits. She is sometimes multiplexing between them when she speaks to me, one person likes me, one are skeptic, one are neutral ... .etc, and I she her face is changing trough all the persons expressions.

My BPD person has two higly correlated personas , both?(at least one) needs narcisitic supply to be "complete" (or at least fuller). When she swaps to the "other" she got a strange energy about her, higly radiating or "dark cloud", like a hurt child, sad dark eyes. She did that when I met her , I felt the whoole room was filled with her energy, just like you could touch it,... .yes strange.

That other person = "her inner hurting child", is what I miss, like a caretaker or parent, just want to save that little child from making more problems, and gain more hurt. I know that if I take on a parental role , they will never experience , do thier errors and grow up.

... .but do they learn from their failures , if they are "arrested" in their development at 3yo, no idea, maybe with therapy.

Just a comment, I am not very skilled in this.

Wrongturn1

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2014, 01:32:27 PM »

I know a woman , she has 5 COMPLETE personalities, they are totally  independent as far as I know, she does not show NPD traits. She is sometimes multiplexing between them when she speaks to me, one person likes me, one are skeptic, one are neutral ... .etc, and I she her face is changing trough all the persons expressions.

Bizarre... .it might be interesting to meet someone like that at a bus stop or a cocktail party.  Can't imagine being in a close or romantic relationship with someone who behaved like that.
borderdude

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2014, 01:35:43 PM »

Bizarre... .it might be interesting to meet someone like that at a bus stop or a cocktail party.  Can't imagine being in a close or romantic relationship with someone who behaved like that.

what about sex life , who are you interactiong with , and how long will it take ?
Indyan

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: separated for 15 months, court 4 months ago

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2014, 02:12:12 PM »

a spanish sailor

Smiling (click to insert in post) Laugh out loud (click to insert in post) Smiling (click to insert in post)
christoff522

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2014, 04:07:05 PM »

hola senor! 
waverider
Retired Staff

Relationship status: married 8 yrs, together 16yrs

If YOU don't change, things will stay the same

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2014, 04:19:11 PM »

... .but do they learn from their failures , if they are "arrested" in their development at 3yo, no idea, maybe with therapy.

Living in the feeling of now and rewriting the past to validate how they feel now is the main hurdle for them to learn from past mistakes, they distance cause from consequence as the consequence is reattributed to something, or someone, else. The result is they repeat the cause not expecting the same result.

Their recollection of chains of events is corrupted

Reality is shared and open to debate, feelings are individual and real
borderdude

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2014, 04:20:47 PM »

Living in the feeling of now and rewriting the past to validate how they feel now is the main hurdle for them to learn from past mistakes, they distance cause from consequence as the consequence is reattributed to something, or someone, else. The result is they repeat the cause not expecting the same result.

Their recollection of chains of events is corrupted

I have to admit , I have never learned so much as when I start browsing this site.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest