Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 18, 2024, 07:43:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Survey: How do you compare?
Adult Children Sensitivity
67% are highly sensitive
Romantic Break-ups
73% have five or more recycles
Physical Hitting
66% of members were hit
Depression Test
61% of members are moderate-severe
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Was your ex in treatment for BPD? Did it make a difference?  (Read 362 times)
kc sunshine

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb

« on: October 05, 2014, 09:59:26 AM »

Mine was, and I think it made a difference in our relationship (we could talk about it, try to come up with strategies, etc) but not so much in our break up (that's when I felt the illness in full force-- the intractability of the black/white thinking, the victim/blaming, and the intense anger parts of it in particular). If I brought up the possibility that BPD stuff was playing a role in our interaction at that point, it would make her more angry. What was your experience?

RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

freedom33

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Single

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 10:03:24 AM »

Mine was in therapy for 10+ years. She never acknowledged she had BPD. She would blame me for everything. Did it make a difference? I don't know I can't imagine how worse she was 10 years ago. Perhaps she used to rage often before? Now she didn't rage often - only on a few occasions throwing things etc - but she would hold her anger and then engage in punishing, vindictive behaviours. So perhaps therapy taught her to appear more functional than she really is, in effect more dangerous.
kc sunshine

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2014, 11:33:51 AM »

Wow, yes that makes sense.

Mine was in therapy for 10+ years. She never acknowledged she had BPD. She would blame me for everything. Did it make a difference? I don't know I can't imagine how worse she was 10 years ago. Perhaps she used to rage often before? Now she didn't rage often - only on a few occasions throwing things etc - but she would hold her anger and then engage in punishing, vindictive behaviours. So perhaps therapy taught her to appear more functional than she really is, in effect more dangerous.

MissyM

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2014, 02:43:40 PM »

It has made a difference for my dBPDh.  He has been diagnosed with BPD and is in many different kinds of  therapy, as well as 12 step recovery.  He is dysregulated less often and able to calm himself down more quickly than before.  Only time will tell if he is going to stay with this or not.
waverider
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: married 8 yrs, together 16yrs

If YOU don't change, things will stay the same

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2014, 04:34:30 PM »

Keep in mind the more YOU learn about BPD the more you see how it influences all areas of your life that you were previously oblivious to. You loose your innocence and along with that can come a feeling of hopelessness.

It is important to be able to look back at where you came from with discernible benchmarks in order to judge progress.

It is also good to be able to enjoy the process and dont have a win/lose mentality based on total "cure". Learning to live with and manage a RS were dysfunctionality is a factor is important.

It is a genuine disability and not just a collection of passing bad habits

Reality is shared and open to debate, feelings are individual and real
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest