Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 18, 2024, 11:46:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Depression = 72% of members
Take the test, read about the implications, and check out the remedies.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: my partner wants to break up... and i am pushing her away  (Read 376 times)
itgirl

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: 4 years living together

« on: October 06, 2014, 03:30:06 PM »

I need help.  My partner of 3 years is ready to leave.  She has been dysregulated for about two months.

She were also diagnosed with depression less than two weeks ago.  She is now on meds for that but only 12 days.

Yesterday was my birthday party and she went out of her way to make it super nice.  The thing is the night before my party she went out with friends and came home after 4:00 AM.  This is very out of th norm for us as we always go out together.  I was very upset with that but put my feelings aside as it was my bday.  

We had a lovely day and for the first time in months she were affectionate with me.  

I bought the book codependent no more and started today to do the activities.  

I have major issues with her leaving me.  I have been fine my whole life before her so I do not understand why I cant deal with the thought of her leaving.

Tonight I made dinner and she took a bath.  She was online chatting with someone on the phone.  I let my emotions get the better of me and I asked her who is she chatting with?  She got very upset and said she is looking for other places to stay.  Ends up she was chatting with her mom.  So I made a massive mistake.  I just am so weary of her chatting so late at night.  (its late where I live).

I guess I don’t have a question.  I just need help with detaching with love and I have been frantically researching online.  But I have been on these boards for a while now and I feel I want some encouragement from you guys?

How can I change so I don’t push her away even further by being so “controlling”.  I put that word in quotes as I don’t believe I try and control to be malicious.  

Should I move out while she looks for another place?  It feels like I am being used.  

Should we just call it off as this would be the third breakup in 3 years.  I cant handle the recycles.

I love her so very much but sometimes I think BPD is very selfish.  Am I holding on to the hope that things will get better?

PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

123Phoebe
Staying and Undecided

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 05:57:57 PM »

Hi itgirl, sorry to hear this is going on right now; it is no walk in the park, that's for sure

Should we just call it off as this would be the third breakup in 3 years.  I cant handle the recycles.

How long did the other breakups last?  What were the issues leading up to the breakups?  Is there a pattern that you're aware of?  Same time of year?  Before a big event?  After a period of closeness?

Is there a way for you to not think in terms of "breaking up"?  Do you think she's serious about finding a new place to live?  Is that her style?

Questions, questions... .

takingandsending

Relationship status: Married, 15 years; together 18 years

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 12:36:41 AM »

Hey, itgirl. I had read your post earlier today, but didn't have an opportunity to let you know that I hear your plea for support. 

First, wanted to say I am reading that book, too, and also hoping to learn how to detach without being resentful or just an automaton.
I bought the book codependent no more and started today to do the activities. 

I have major issues with her leaving me.  I have been fine my whole life before her so I do not understand why I cant deal with the thought of her leaving.

I think there are some good things to think about here. I can't recall if you are seeing a T for yourself, but maybe working with someone, if that is a possibility, could help you to gain insight into this question. I know that as I began re-examining my whole life before my uBPDw, I could see that I was stable and working my coping skills, but perhaps not as fine as I thought I was. I am having to work really hard at accepting my own neediness, insecurity and weakness that led me into this RS, and see that really, they have been lifelong traits I developed as a child. So that really sucks.    BUT it is helping me to stop repeating these behaviors that have led to so much of my acceptance of responsibility and blame in this RS.

And I think, in turn, that changing myself by just working on even a few boundaries is precipitating some change in my wife's dysregulations. She still has them, but they are not lasting as long. It may all change tomorrow - I know that. Is there anything you have read within the book that has helped you to identify some of your core values, your sacred truths and trusts that cannot be violated?

I also noticed some language that you used about your birthday, which struck me as something I might have said.

Yesterday was my birthday party and she went out of her way to make it super nice.  The thing is the night before my party she went out with friends and came home after 4:00 AM.  This is very out of th norm for us as we always go out together.  I was very upset with that but put my feelings aside as it was my bday. 

We had a lovely day and for the first time in months she were affectionate with me. 

I think that's kind of the key when we are co-dependent. We learned somewhere, usually within our FOO, to set aside our feelings to get the pay out. It doesn't work. It doesn't work for the people you are trying to get to love you, and it doesn't work for the person that you most need to love you, which is yourself. I often find myself saying, "I wish ... ." that my SO could love me, that she could see how she hurts me and feel sorry about it, that she would stop hurting her children, that she could own her feelings, that she could validate my life and how much I have given to her. Doesn't work that way. Can't make her do any of those things. So now what?

For me, I am learning that I have to be uncomfortably honest with myself, a lot. Give up expecting the pay day. Stop trying for it. And, things are getting a little less ragey and hostile, things are getting a little more liveable, I get a few more moments where I can actually see and remember the girl that I love. Not sure if this is helping you, but I want to let you know that I hear you. "I wish it were otherwise, but mostly, these days, I wish I can love myself enough to not need to enable her illness any longer."

Let us know how you are doing going through this, and this community will be here to support you through whatever comes. 

itgirl

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 08:01:14 AM »

Phoebe,

To answer your questions:

How long did the other breakups last? 

1st in 2012 was one month

2nd in 2013 was six months.  she moved to a city 1000 miles away to get away from me.  After some silent treatment and she realizing she made a mistake she moved back.

3rd  I am in it right now.  Well actually the splitting black part.  She knows that if she leaves now I wont be taking her back and she knows there is a huge chance she is making a mistake.  Some days she will ask "what is wrong with me, am I crazy" and most other days the blame is laid on my feet for everything miserable in her life.

What were the issues leading up to the breakups?

It is always about one thing and one thing only.  My best friend.  She cant stand her and to be honest they cant stand each other.  I have been friends with her for almost 18 years.  After the last recycle I screwed up and promised to let my friend go.  well I did break almost all contact but then she was diagnosed with cancer.  I told my partner it is a rocky road ahead but together we will get through it.  She agreed but after the second week into me supporting my friend through chemo the dysregulation started.  Off course I didn't notice till it was too late.  She has been off anti-depressants for 6 months.  I at least got her to see a doctor 2 weeks ago and now she is on meds.

Is there a pattern that you're aware of?

Yes, April each year.  But this year she is not leaving so quick as previous times however it is dragging on and not getting any better.  Mainly because of my insecurity and issues as well.

Is there a way for you to not think in terms of "breaking up"?  Do you think she's serious about finding a new place to live?  Is that her style?

Oh yes that is her style through and through.  However after the last breakup she knew she made such a big mistake that I think now she is scared it might be again.  My mom tells me to ignore the breakup talk as she might "enjoy" watching me cry.  I say enjoy for lack of a better word I hope you guys catch my drift.

She told me this weekend... .she is not IN love any more and there is no magic between us.  that is because she is depressed and isolating herself. 

I wrote the post last night after the fight.  However I have calmed down and realized that I react a lot!  not only do I JADE I react to everything she does and it is driving her insane.  My questions I asked last night is not so relevant anymore today. 

My new questions are:

1.  My best friend.  How to set up a boundary that I can see her without losing my partner.

2.  If someone is dysregulated should I not give her so much space so that she can work through her issues and I can work on mine separately.  However every time I pack a overnight bag she begs me to stay.  But when I am home she ignores me.

itgirl

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 08:12:23 AM »

@takingandsending

Thank you so much for your beautiful inspirational post.  I have read it again and again as you talk so much truth.  I have only been working through the book for two days now.  I don't want to read to fast as I am doing the activities and trying to soak it all up. 

What I realized is that I react.  Because she is not committed at the moment my insecurity is sky high.  So every little thing she does makes me react.  And soon after I blurted out what was bugging me I always know I made a mistake. 

I am learning to:

1.  Slow down

2.  to not feel so frightened

3.  keep things in perspective

Let's say I am learning this but still have a lot of practice to do!

I am not seeing a T at the moment cause of financial reasons.  The boards here will have to do for now.

takingandsending

Relationship status: Married, 15 years; together 18 years

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 10:29:29 AM »

Hi itgirl.

I'm with you on the practice part.  Smiling (click to insert in post) Hang in there. If you keep working that approach, I know that, come what may, you will be better for it. I have been trying, when I can remember it, to use Wilsonian's approach of Stop, Look and Listen before reacting. It's just so darned easy to flare up and be irritated and unhappy.

I am glad that you have gained a little perspective and breathing space. You're worth it! 

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest