Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 19, 2024, 07:17:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BPD question  (Read 413 times)
BrokenFamily

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: October 11, 2014, 06:02:08 PM »

Can someone have BPD if they don't drink, use drugs or self harm?
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

EaglesJuju
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 06:11:21 PM »

Yes. Diagnostic criteria per the DSM-V requires 5 of the 9 criteria. Self-harm is only one of the diagnostic criteria.

"In order to take control of our lives and accomplish something of lasting value, sooner or later we need to Believe. We simply need to believe in the power that is within us, and use it." -Benjamin Hoff
anxiety5

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 11:55:07 PM »

Absolutely! The things you describe are not the root cause, they are present in a lot of cases BECAUSE of the condition. They often self medicate with drugs and alcohol to deal with the anxiety and turmoil that is ever present in their lives. The cutting is also an outlet. When your pain is out of control or not able to be expressed, one may resort to harming themselves as a release of this pain. As an added bonus, they get to be in charge of it as every BPD I've ever known is an unmitigated control freak.

BPD I dated drank socially, and did no drugs. She did not self harm either. I would describe a dead ringer to BPD as a general sense of dysfunctional emotional regulation. When they are stressed, under pressure, hurried, etc you can almost see their lip quiver in a mix of anxiety and rage brewing. Everything is a crisis. Everything is chaotic. Even small stuff. It may also be expressed as sadness. Victimization. Woe is me.

My BPD had overlapping narcissistic traits. Everything was about her. She would ask about my day as an interlude so she could talk about her day for 10 hours. There is also a theme wherein they always will make light of your job, your life, your worries, etc. They always have it worse. Your issues are nothing compared to theirs.

A general lack of empathy as well. An odd silence when you are having a bad day, as if they don't know what to even tell you. This despite you talked them off the ledge when they had a bad day the week before.

No reciprocation. It's a take for me, while I let you give to me, relationship. They also NEVER admit fault or accept blame.

I noticed they seem to say and do really odd things as well. Their brains are wired strangely.
drummerboy

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2014, 01:09:38 AM »

This is identical to my uBPDexgf. Her main outward manifestation was chronic anxiety. There was nothing that she could not worry about. Most of her anxiety was about crisis that she herself had created. She was a teacher and would put off marking her students work, then be in stress city because it had to be done and she would spend more time stressing about it than actually getting it done. She hated going to the store, major stress for her, she once phoned her mum asking if she should get soft or extra soft butter. And yes, everything was always someone else's fault. Her idea of a conversation was talking about herself, her issues, her crisis, total woe is me. I can't recall her once asking me "So how are things going for you?" I have never met a person so self absorbed. She even said once that her life was the "(her name) show" Even on the last day when we were supposed to be talking about us breaking up she was asking me if she should take on another student to tutor. She could call her mom for an hour at a time, several times per day and even though her mom was in poor health the conversations were always about her (the ex) The funny thing is that to people they are not close to she appeared totally normal and well adjusted, only those they are close to see a glimpse of the real person. She drank only socially, didn't do any drugs and was not a self harmer although she did attempt suicide a few months before I met her. It must be hell living their lives.

BPD I dated drank socially, and did no drugs. She did not self harm either. I would describe a dead ringer to BPD as a general sense of dysfunctional emotional regulation. When they are stressed, under pressure, hurried, etc you can almost see their lip quiver in a mix of anxiety and rage brewing. Everything is a crisis. Everything is chaotic. Even small stuff. It may also be expressed as sadness. Victimization. Woe is me.

My BPD had overlapping narcissistic traits. Everything was about her. She would ask about my day as an interlude so she could talk about her day for 10 hours. There is also a theme wherein they always will make light of your job, your life, your worries, etc. They always have it worse. Your issues are nothing compared to theirs.

anxiety5

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2014, 02:29:43 AM »

I feel your pain. I don't think it's hell living their lives though. They are the prototypical spoiled brat. They are a 3 year old throwing a tantrum because he wants another toy. They have zero concept of the fact they have it better than 99% of other people, the thought that you may not have the money for it never enters their mind. And god forbid you don't do what they want when they want.

They are a walking contradiction of do as I say, not as I do. And the perfect match for them ends up just like them, hollow. Someone who has been eaten from the inside out and no longer possesses the will to fight back, or even care about their own needs. It's sad. There are millions of people trapped in this struggle. Emotional prisoners destined to live for decades in a mental prison that is created around them. I pray for these people. The silent and stoic people who are out there right now. God help them. Life is so short. And the tragedy is in the fact that this type of abuse is akin to a prison sentence, but it isn't noticeable or distinguishable. So the victim, never even has a harrowing tale of survival. They end up either emotionally broken, or perhaps live out their lives and eventually die having never really known what true reciprocated love even feels like.
sweetheart

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married, together 11 years. Not living together since June 2017, but still in a relationship.

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2014, 03:53:26 AM »

Hello DavidJulius,

Click on the link "What is Borderline Personality Disorder?" on the right hand side of the page. If you haven't already this will help with your question and much more.

Take your time and read around the disorder and learn as much as you can. It can really help to make sense of some of the craziness and in turn that can help you focus on your own emotional well-being.

Emotional strength and resilience are definitely required when you have someone with BPD in your life or behavioural traits that fit without a diagnosis.

From my own personal experience a combination of BPD and either drugs or alcohol exacerbate symptoms exponentially. My dBPDh has a history of codeine dependency and when he was caught up in this the disorder was at its worst. He returned to self-harming, our lives were in chaos. He has now stopped codeine use and is noticeably more stable, with less aggressive outbursts. He used the codeine as a way of self-medicating emotional pain. 

Substance misuse is very often symptomatic of the disorder. BPD and co-morbid addiction are very prevalent on these boards also.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest