Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 20, 2024, 10:11:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Parents! Get help here!
Saying "I need help" is a huge first step. Here is what to do next.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: It's official, she's going to RTC  (Read 399 times)
Elbry

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« on: October 21, 2014, 04:08:36 PM »

DD15 is still in the crisis unit, she has been in there for 8 days now.  She has been accepted at a RTC where she will do a DBT/CBT based program.  The plan is for her to be admitted to the RTC sometime next week and she will remain in the crisis unit until then.  She will be allowed to leave the CCSU on pass to pack for RTC the day before we go down. 

The RTC is in a quaint little coastal town, tiny town actually.  6 bed home, girls only.  Unfortunately, it's 4.5 hours away, one way.  With family therapy once a week... .ugg.  It's gonna be hard.  It is possible to do some sessions by phone, but I think I will be making that long drive a lot.  After one month, if she does well, she will come home for one weekend a month.  If that goes well for a couple months, it gets bumped up to 2 weekends. 

Staff from the RTC came up to meet with us at the CCSU and to do an interview.  During the meeting, the clinician for the CCSU said that some of the staff there are actually intimidated by DD because she comes off so intelligent, and is so sarcastic and some of them don't know how to handle her or deal with her.  That kind of took me by surprise.  She is so non-violent that the idea of someone being intimidated by her is weird to me.  But then again, she is non-violent to others and very violent against herself, I guess they have to worry about that too. 

Anyways, it's official, she's going.  I'm a mess.  I'm so upset about it.  I don't want her to go.  I know she needs to go but I am going to miss her so much, and I am having to trust others to watch out for her.  I just hope I'm doing the right thing.

Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
SeaSprite

Relationship status: married, divorced from kids' dad

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 07:04:56 PM »

You are doing the best with what you have... .and that is always the right thing.

Some people are intimidated by smart-mouthed kids... .when I was a teen I had few filters and when I was feeling angry or upset, my brain and mouth seemed to run off ahead of adults around me, and not in a good way. I wasn't so quick with other kids though, probably because I cared what my peers thought but didn't give a rip about adults. They didn't even register as really human to me yet.

Hoping the best for you and your d! That drive sounds like a time management challenge. Any books you've been meaning to read that you can get on audio? 

pessim-optimist

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 08:13:55 PM »

Anyways, it's official, she's going.  I'm a mess.  I'm so upset about it.  I don't want her to go.  I know she needs to go but I am going to miss her so much, and I am having to trust others to watch out for her.  I just hope I'm doing the right thing.

Of course you are apprehensive... . 

Do you have Skype? Maybe you could do some sessions via Skype - it's better than phone, because everyone can see each other.

Do you trust this RTC? If it's the right place for her - you know that that's the decision you have been fighting for.
nzmum

Relationship status: Married 25 years

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 10:40:45 PM »

Elbry

The RTC sounds like a fantastic opportunity for your DD15 to get the help she needs and deserves. 

It is natural that you're sad and you will miss her but think of the outcome and all the possibilities and opportunities her future could hold when the program is done.

You are fortunate such programs are available in your part of the world.  In NZ it is all outpatients for the under 20's.   :'(

Kia-kaha (Maori = be strong)   
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest