Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 19, 2024, 11:02:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Near or in break-up mode?
What Does it Take to Be in a Relationship
Is Your Relationship Breaking Down?
Escaping Conflict and the Karpman Drama Triangle
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: diagnosis  (Read 373 times)
survivalmode27

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Relationship status: married

« on: October 23, 2014, 01:43:44 PM »

So we are going on our second round of T and it was suggested by our last T hat my H had BPD. It is now confirmed by the second. She called me in solo to get more on his background and such. Family dynamic, mom and BPD and dad a NP/alcoholic. She wants to "dismantle" my BPDH. I am more in shock than I thought. I was told before and read the materials and it did confirm BPD, but to hear it straight from a person that is an expert... .It hurts a little. It is like confirming cancer.

She is going to work on him and asked me to boost his ego as much as possible through the process. She suggest that if he quits therapy over it then I should consider divorcing as the relationship will never change.   

It just got more real and it has left me feeling hopeless.  I know that I have options, I am not a victim. But at the same time, it has crushed the last ounce of hope I had.                             
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

MissyM

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 02:33:49 PM »

Excerpt
But at the same time, it has crushed the last ounce of hope I had.                             

Your last shred of hope, how?  Hope that he didn't have BPD?  You knew something was wrong and it could've been something else that was worse or equally as bad, so I am not sure about the hope part.  For me, getting the diagnosis has led to the appropriate help and some change.  I tend to look at being in therapy with a BPD diagnosis as a step toward recovery. 
Rapt Reader
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 07:37:18 PM »

She suggest that if he quits therapy over it then I should consider divorcing as the relationship will never change.   

If this is why you are feeling hopeless, survivalmode27, I would like to encourage you to look at the possibilities:

1). He goes to Therapy, has a change in his outlook on life and you and your marriage, and things start to get better with him in Therapy, and you learning what you need to, also, to support him in his recovery.

2). He goes to Therapy, finds it difficult to deal with his own truth, and balks at it for awhile, missing appointments and threatening to not go anymore. And then he goes back, once he regulates again and feels that he really does need help and now will get it. And things start to get better (see above   )... .

3). He goes to Therapy, hates it and doesn't think he needs it, or doesn't want to face his truth, and never goes again. And you continue to learn what you need to, make some changes in how you communicate and deal with him, and things start to get better (because once you make changes in your dealings with him, he changes how he reacts to you).

4). He goes to Therapy, hates it and doesn't think he needs it, and nothing you do helps him make changes in any way, and nothing ever changes or ever gets better.

I'm not sure which of these scenarios is most likely, but only one of them warrants feeling hopeless... .75% of the possibilities warrant lots of hope, and only the last one seems pretty hopeless. I would go with the glass 3/4 full rule here, no? 

MissyM

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 09:54:12 PM »

Excerpt
He goes to Therapy, finds it difficult to deal with his own truth, and balks at it for awhile, missing appointments and threatening to not go anymore. And then he goes back, once he regulates again and feels that he really does need help and now will get it. And things start to get better (see above  wink )... .

Yep, that is how it has worked here!
survivalmode27

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 10:05:13 AM »

I am feeling better today. I think yesterday it just hit me to hear how screwed up it really is from an expert for the second time. It is not new stuff that I did not know. She basically has to convince him that his reality is not true. That would be like somebody telling me the sky is not blue. I can only imagine how hard that would be.

she has encouraged me to make him feel needed and wanted and try to befriend another couple that maybe we can feel close to. So he has somebody outside of his crazy BPDmother and NP father that he can relate to. 

Best case scenario, she breaks him done, brings me in and we can rebuild together. Worse case scenario he quits. then I will have to decide if it is something I want to keep working at.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest