Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 10:47:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things we can't ignore
What Does it Take to Be in a Relationship
Why We Struggle in Our Relationships
Is Your Relationship Breaking Down?
Codependency and Codependent Relationships
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Refused to discuss issues or even argue - high functioning quiet borderline  (Read 370 times)
Hawk Ridge

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb

« on: November 04, 2014, 07:35:14 PM »

My exPWBPD refused to discuss issues with me or even have a civil argument when we were together, blaming me for "overcommunicating."  I believe she is a high functioning quiet borderline.  I am sure she must be doing the same with my replacement. Is this common?

RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

MaybeSo
Distinguished Member

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Relationship status: Together five years, ended suddenly June 2011

Players only love you when they're playing...

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 09:46:34 PM »

Hmmm…it’s not what I think of as typical of a pwBPD. Borderline traits tend to correlate more with an anxious attachment style that relies heavily on verbal expression fueled by the anxiety.

Some people have an Avoidant attachment style (generally correlates with a more narcissistic style) and a lot of talking or need to connect through talk by a partner would generally cause this kind of person to want to get away from it or refuse to engage at all. They tend to ‘go away’ and shut-down to regulate themselves.  

Not always, but often, men are thought of as having a more shut-down, avoidant style, and it is women who often get the rap for being too verbal or too emotionally expressive in relationships, but there certainly can be role reversals, too.

Anyway…everyone is different and every situation is unique, not really enough information to give anything but a very general answer.

Hawk Ridge

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 10:01:56 PM »

Thank you for trying.  If we are ever able to try again, I would like to solve this puzzle.   She is quite masculine in her personality and habits, often subscribing to the avoidant style while presenting as anxious.  When I read the book about attachments, her attachment style fell in both grids.  As a quiet BPD, I can see why my tendency to want to discuss the purple elephant in the living room would irritate her; however,when I trusted her desire for quiet space, she left me and it appears was trolling online prior to her departure. No win situation... .

Verbena

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 10:28:27 AM »

I've read a few threads on here about "quiet borderlines" but think that is definitely not the norm with a pwBPD.  It's certainly not the case for my DD.  I have only come to realize recently (after 32 years of marriage) that my H's issues  seem to parallel some of the stories here.  While he does not fit most of the BPD criteria, he is one angry,miserable, negative, never-wrong individual.  That description is one I see often here.

The "shut-down, avoidant" style that Maybeso mentioned is my husband to a tee.  Responding to me at all is a major imposition to him--unless it's something negative.  Then he has lots to say and gets loud.  He will even often claim he answered me and tells me what he said when he actually completely ignored me.  And he BELIEVES that he spoke to me.

My advice would be to keep your ex an ex.  If I knew in 1982 what I know now, I would have  walked away.  Thirty-two years of his anger and miserable attitude has sucked the life out of me. 
Cloudy Days

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 12:19:11 PM »

Some people have an Avoidant attachment style (generally correlates with a more narcissistic style) and a lot of talking or need to connect through talk by a partner would generally cause this kind of person to want to get away from it or refuse to engage at all. They tend to ‘go away’ and shut-down to regulate themselves.  

I have to say, I am not a borderline and this is totally my attachment style and my husband is pure BPD anxious attachment style. I have a tendency to shut down when my husband wants to talk. Of course it doesn't help that he tends to use put downs and just all around general warfare when he gets upset during our conversations. But being female I was always told this is not the normal, I don't like talking about feelings and tend to avoid it. It's a reason why I can get along with my husband because I don't pressure him about how I feel, which is detrimental to me and makes us focus on all his stuff. Don't know if this helps at all, just wanted to put in my 2 cents. I'm sure there are Borderlines that have avoidant styles too and I can imagine the upset it would cause to try and talk about feelings. Because I know how I feel when I am forced to talk about certain things with my husband. If it's hard for someone who can control their emotions, it would be even more difficult for someone who can't.

It's not the future you are afraid of, it's repeating the past that makes you anxious.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest