Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 12:39:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Survey: How do you compare?
Adult Children Sensitivity
67% are highly sensitive
Romantic Break-ups
73% have five or more recycles
Physical Hitting
66% of members were hit
Depression Test
61% of members are moderate-severe
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New experience, watching him simultaneously dysregulate/reregulate  (Read 367 times)
ColdEthyl

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married 2 years

« on: November 07, 2014, 01:46:09 PM »

Has anyone experienced this situation? My dBPDh was in quite a tizzy yesterday because he felt slighted by my daughter. (Her friend's mom brought her a new shirt to school instead of her calling him and asking, to him that=a slap in the face)

Long story short, we didn't fight/argue right away, we were discussing this issue and another (I had a bad day at work, I made the mistake of talking about myself for 2-3 minutes), and he was jumping back and forth from what I would call "dysregulation" language, and "regulation language" IE in one breath, he would say he knows in his heart that he should listen to my issues more, and that in a caring, loving husband he should be the one I can talk to. (regulated) and 2 sentences later, he says I never have his back, and whenever he has an issue with the children I betray his confidence by telling them everything he said (complete fabrication, never happened. Dysregulation) Only to break down and cry a minute or 2 later, saying he's sorry he knows his anger is out of control, he knows he's making too much out of it but he's depressed and sick of it. Toward the middle of it there, I caught myself trying to JADE some silly issues he was bringing up, but within a few min I realized what I was doing, and went back into SET which did calm him.

I'm used to "normal" days, and I'm used to "dysregulatuion" days, but I haven't experienced a time until now where it seemed like Jekyll and Hyde were on the battlefield right in front me.

RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Mr. Solo

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner
Relationship status: Married for 18 years. Separated for 1.

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 04:56:01 PM »

Oh yeah. When my dBPDw was really "off" she would contradict herself by the minute. She would tell me she loved me and was sorry for everything she has done and then a few minutes later tell me she hated me and I was a monster. It is very frustrating because you don't know which is real. Or, I guess, to them, both are real at the time. I would always try and encourage her to try not to get too high emotionally or too low but she couldn't handle it.
formflier
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2014, 06:43:06 AM »

This is good that this is happening... .try to validate when dysregulating... .

When regulating... a little SE... and try to use truth to move things forward a bit.

You will have to stay on your toes an be nimble to do this!  Think it through... .

ColdEthyl

Relationship status: Married 2 years

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 05:10:25 PM »

In lieu of the winter season coming up... .I'm wondering that's part of it. He's always more depressed in winter. Perhaps he's fighting within himself to maintain. /sigh poor guy.

I think you are right Mr. Solo, it's both at the same time. How very confusing it must be for them to feel all of those emotions at once, stuck between what they know they should do versus what their brains scream at them to do.

TY for the advice, formflier. I will have to practice my SETfu for this Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)

This is good that this is happening... .try to validate when dysregulating... .

When regulating... a little SE... and try to use truth to move things forward a bit.

You will have to stay on your toes an be nimble to do this!  Think it through... .

maxsterling

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner
Relationship status: living together, engaged

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 05:20:28 PM »

I think I see this quite often where she starts on what looks like a full blown dysreg, then catches herself and just feels sorry for herself, until it becomes a convoluted mess.  Actually, I see this almost daily.  And I agree, wading through this and figuring out what to SET, what to validate, not to JADE - you will need headache medicine!

I've started to just stay present with her, remind her to stay present, and then just listening.  She goes through the whole cycle herself - blame me or others, while I listen, maybe validate a little of her emotion.  Then she turns it around on herself, then back around again, and eventually ends in tears and me holding her.  And I've barely said anything. 

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest