Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 25, 2024, 11:26:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things we can't ignore
What Does it Take to Be in a Relationship
Why We Struggle in Our Relationships
Is Your Relationship Breaking Down?
Codependency and Codependent Relationships
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Casual  (Read 385 times)
Rollercoaster1

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: November 16, 2014, 08:59:49 AM »

Anybody else who's 'casually dating' (as if!) a BPD? I find it very complicated. He says he doesn't want a relationship because he doesn't want to hurt me. Then when we're together, everything is okay. Then it all feels like a relationship, it's just the label that's missing. I figured he needs the idea of being free to do whatever he wants. It's hard for me to deal with the BPD-stuff (occasional silent treatment etc, the tips on this website helped a lot with avoiding rages) if you don't really have a relationship.
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

shatra

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 08:21:57 PM »

What do you mean by silent treatment? He stops contact, or he stops talking while you are with him?

What does he mean by not wanting a relat. because it would hurt you?
Rollercoaster1

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 11:51:17 PM »

He stops contact for a while (couple of days mostly). Every argument we've ever had was when we weren't physically together. When we're together everything's fine.

He says it will hurt me if we get together because first things will be great, but then maybe he will have to leave this country and that'll hurt me. He doesn't get that it would hurt no matter what because it's not about the label but about the feelings.
Infern0

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 01:40:38 AM »

My relationship began this way until I basically said if we don't become official then I'm out. At that point she drove straight to my house and we were in a full blown relationship.
waverider
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: married 8 yrs, together 16yrs

If YOU don't change, things will stay the same

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 04:44:06 AM »

If you allow indecision to drift, then everything thereafter will drift.

Reality is shared and open to debate, feelings are individual and real
shatra

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 11:38:29 AM »

Hi

Roller wrote

He stops contact for a while (couple of days mostly). Every argument we've ever had was when we weren't physically together. When we're together everything's fine

----Do yo have a sense of why the arguments only happen over the phone and not in person?

----Sounds like he wants to "keep it casual" so as not to hurt you, because he knows it may not last, so why get closely involved? BPs often assume it will end, so they fear getting close---it hurts less to lose a casual relationship---yet my issue is I wonder if they ever HAVE a casual relationship?  They have the underlying feelings and strong attachment, so Iwonder if he is just not talking about what's underneath.

SHatra
Rollercoaster1

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 12:31:42 PM »

I'm not sure why the arguments only happen over the phone. To me it feels like it's easier for him to get mad when he doesn't see my face.

I agree... I don't think a BPD is capable of keeping it casual. He gets jealous way to fast haha. But he does act as if it's something casual. Only when I don't contact him for a little while (1-2 days) he stops acting as if it's casual.
maxsterling

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner
Relationship status: living together, engaged

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2014, 01:30:08 PM »

He says he doesn't want a relationship because he doesn't want to hurt me.

Just wanted to pull this out there because this is a huge insight into the BPD mind.  He knows who he is.  That's one of the mind-boggling things about BPD.  Many pwBPD seem quite self aware.  They know their behavior gets them into trouble.  They know they have self-esteem and identity issues. Yet the behavior continues.  Often the bad behavior tends to be negative-reinforcing: they ruin one r/s, feel shame over it, and the next r/s ramp up the bad behavior for fear the same thing will happen again.  He's telling you he would be a bad boyfriend/husband.  Listen to him.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest