Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 24, 2024, 07:40:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm so burned out by dealing with my husband's BPD  (Read 361 times)
Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: November 16, 2014, 12:01:52 PM »

I want to make our relationship better but I 'm frustrated and angry that I always have to be the grownup.

“The Four Agreements  1. Be impeccable with your word.  2. Don’t take anything personally.  3. Don’t make assumptions.  4. Always do your best. ”     ― Miguel Ruiz, The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

flowerpath

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 01:12:06 PM »

Hi, Cat Familiar.  I'm feeling the same way.  Yesterday I had the perfect opportunity to relax and recover from the work week and take care of some little projects at home that will make my life easier, and within an hour of waking, I was hit with projections, snide comments, and his talking to me through comments he addressed to the dog. 

This morning he awakened me with a loud and rude tone of voice, complaining about an appliance that doesn't work correctly. 

This is life as it is.  I want to have a peaceful inner life that this disorder cannot touch.  I am working at letting the behaviors just fall to the ground.  I know why I choose to stay, but it would be nice to not have to deal with it at all.  A peaceful life.  What a beautiful thought.   
Olinda

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Relationship status: Engaged - 3 years, living together

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 01:23:27 PM »

I hear you and second that motion.

Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 03:36:11 PM »

Hi flower path and Olinda,

It's becoming an interesting journey to learn more about BPD, which I suspected my husband had for a few years. We did some couples counseling, but it wasn't very helpful, but it did open up an avenue to begin to communicate a little better.

The irony is that he is very articulate, just not about his emotions. I had hoped to have a relationship where I could be completely candid, but now I'm realizing that all my attempts at communication about our dysfunction are perceived as criticism of him.

We had a wonderful honeymoon phase which lasted several years until i got so fed up with him getting drunk and taking pills. I was truly afraid that I'd wake up and find him cold, dead and blue. Fortunately he's not abusing substances as much now and he did a weeklong program with the Hoffman Institute which I think helped him see that childhood wounds weren't exclusive to him.

Flowerpath, I truly understand the desire to have a peaceful life. I wake up early just to have "me time" and when I hear him enter the room, sometimes I cringe. I had to laugh (pardon me) about the comments your husband addressed to the dog. I can really imagine just how that played out. I like what you said about "letting the behaviors just fall to the ground."

Recently I started seeing our therapist individually in order to get strategies to help me manage his behavior. It was nice to see the same therapist because she really has a good sense of him and has seen his sudden bursts of anger. Basically she's helped me feel more compassionate towards him--he had the father from hell. And I had an epiphany when I realized that my mother and former husband both had BPD and some other variations of personality disorders. Apparently this is what I've mistaken love for... .

So what I'm learning from therapy is that I have to treat my husband the same way as I train my horses--make the wrong thing hard and the right thing easy--that's the horse training motto that I have to adapt to my personal life.

The grief I feel comes from the realization that I'm alone in this relationship. I've got to be the adult and self-comfort. I just lost one of my cats yesterday and I was amazed that this self-identified "sensitive man" had no clue how to comfort me or even that I needed that. It's always all about him.

“The Four Agreements  1. Be impeccable with your word.  2. Don’t take anything personally.  3. Don’t make assumptions.  4. Always do your best. ”     ― Miguel Ruiz, The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
Mie

Relationship status: Living together since Dec 2004

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 12:10:56 PM »

'It's always all about him'. I know what you mean. It's very exhausting. My partner has been terrible recent 2 months. It always gets worse this time of the year, I don't know why (darkness? knowing that x-mas is coming and one is supposed to enjoy it but he can't? ) .

I wish you strength.
Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2014, 08:45:16 AM »

Hi Mie,

Mine gets worse around this time of year too. And my ex-husband, who was even more BPD was just a nightmare around the holidays--his birthday was New Year's Eve and I always dreaded that day.

I really think it has a lot to do with light--and of course how much cultural emphasis we place on the holidays. It can be a very sad time for adults who have lost family members.

I know that because I spend so much time outside, I rarely get the seasonal blues--unless I'm stuck indoors for an extended period of time. However, I would welcome a long rainy season, living in dry dry California.

Much strength and peace of mind to you too!

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest