Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 08:00:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fostering consistent reality--sharing what we do  (Read 398 times)
whitebulldog

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: November 18, 2014, 01:18:41 PM »

I'm three months into a relationship and I am the partner with BPD.

Unsurprisingly, we struggle already, and my lack of trust is the primary issue. Building that trust is another topic for discussion, but I want to share something that we do that seems to be helping me come back to center a little when I go off the rails:

Since before our first date, my guy has been tracking our relationship with near daily selfies of him that he texts to me, photos of us when we go out, and a spreadsheet of our dates / events. He posts all of this online for us to access privately. In doing this, he has created a special and tangible place for demonstrating the love in our relationship that I cherish. He is quick to capture ANYTHING positive and logs almost nothing negative. Further, when we are in turmoil or we break up, he has agreed not to remove or limit my access to any of it.

How this helps me:

1. When I go off the rails and turn the whole world black, I can look back and see tangible proof that we have good times too, and that we are planning more good times

2. Having a timeline of our dates/events helps give me a sense of consistent, objective reality (if that makes sense)

3. When I  experience that HORRIBLE panicky feeling that he's cheating on me right this minute!,  I can see in his face how much he cares for me via those pics

4. I can't deny the expression of caring and effort he's gone to in order to create and maintain this special place for us.

5. Knowing that I  will always have access to this place gives me comfort. Even if he leaves, I still have all of this--it is proof that I'm cared about.

6. While I hate pics of myself (surprised?), I can't deny the happiness I see in my own face... .

P.S.:

1. Perhaps this would need to be a 'read-only' place for the person with BPD so that s/he can't sabotage it in times of churn.

2. I know that this idea is challenging if there is little positive going on/LOTS of daily churn.

3. I get that believing what is captured will likely be disputed, but if the BPD person contributes during 'white' times, maybe this would help?

4. I can also imagine that something like this could be highly inflammatory during dark periods and provoke a person with BPD to act out (trust me, I GET that)... .but over time maybe it could contribute to a solid, consistent foundation for the relationship as well as provide a safe haven (after the BPD person has jackhammered the hell out of it first  Smiling (click to insert in post))

anyway, just a thought. It's a great way to honor our relationship and  seems to be helping me a little--
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Olinda

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner
Relationship status: Engaged - 3 years, living together

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 01:21:56 PM »

I love this idea!

Can you give me the app or way he is doing it and how it is kept private?

whitebulldog

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 02:26:15 PM »

There are a number of apps you could use for this but we are using just a simple (and free) Google drive.

Links to instructions:

1.   www.gcflearnfree.org/googledriveanddocs/2/print

2.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Sv9ocaRXB8

I should have mentioned in my first post that the regular, ongoing effort required to maintain a space like this also demonstrates *consistent commitment* to the relationship and shows the BPD person on a regular basis that you find the relationship/person valuable.

My guy and I also share inspirational quotes, self-help information, projects, etc. in our space

Other relationship apps include Avocado and Couple

Good luck and I hope this helps!

frizz

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 02:33:55 PM »

What a novel idea. I can see how this would help create a solid foundation to remind us in times of trouble that we do have a good relationship.

This actually sounds like a fun couple's activity regardless,  BPD or none
ColdEthyl

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married 2 years

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 03:14:12 PM »

Thank you so very much for sharing this! If you ever notice anything else that helps, please share! I look forward to doing this with my dBPDh, and I hope it makes him feel loved. Smiling (click to insert in post)
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest