Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 23, 2024, 09:44:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Near or in break-up mode?
What Does it Take to Be in a Relationship
Is Your Relationship Breaking Down?
Escaping Conflict and the Karpman Drama Triangle
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My friend and I have taken a romantic turn  (Read 384 times)
littlenutbrownhare
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: November 19, 2014, 10:00:40 AM »

Boundaries... .Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)... .at 48 and after 3 years of good therapy and a much needed divorce from an NPD spouse of 19 yrs, I actually know what they are!  I'm not certain if this is the proper place for this question but here it is anyway:  I became good friends with a younger man (mutual friend introduction), and over the two years that we have been close, I became aware of his BPD and have subsequently scoured all information, talked in depth with my therapist, and have slowly but surely begun to learn about boundaries, mindfulness and wise mind.  Things bt my friend and I have taken a romantic turn... .and, after months of denial, running, and being miserable, we've recently decided to just 'mindfully' roll with it.  He is self aware and familiar with the practice of DBT.  He is also currently in therapy with a counsellor who is exoerienced with borderline patients. I guess I want to hear from someone out there that we have a chance... .that every relationship with a borderline disordered person isn't doomed to failure... .  we have learned to communicate very well over time and we enjoy being together so much... .  thoughts?

RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Skip
Site Director

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 01:03:08 AM »

I guess I want to hear from someone out there that we have a chance... .that every relationship with a borderline disordered person isn't doomed to failure... . we have learned to communicate very well over time and we enjoy being together so much... . thoughts?

Every relationship takes work.  A "BPD" relationship takes more.

It's really important to learn the tools and to have realistic expectations - like things will be difficult in times of stress.

It may be a difficult qestion - how much of an age difference is  there?

Haye

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: SO

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 05:28:36 AM »

Being realistic and open helps. BPD does give some extra challenges to a relationship. Ability to talk about them, even afterwards, helps. Him being self aware might mean he is able to reflect upon he's own behaviour. It does make odd situations a bit easier - like once i was getting really upset about my SO's words, on the verge of tear, and asked him why are you doing that? He paused and pondered. I don't konw, except BPD, he said. Apologized for his behaviour, saying that he is fully aware what he saying was hurtful for me, but somehow just had to continue. He's BPD making empiric tests on human psyche, that's what we call it.

Also i guess it is a question of what is good and enough? After years of living in NPD's shadow  just being together with someone and enjoying life as it comes might be enough. Getting married, or starting to build a house together, things like that might mean extra pressure.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest