Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 05:03:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Near or in break-up mode?
What Does it Take to Be in a Relationship
Is Your Relationship Breaking Down?
Escaping Conflict and the Karpman Drama Triangle
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ideas please  (Read 390 times)
caregiver

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: November 25, 2014, 12:28:18 PM »

Hi,

I believe that my spouse has BPD.  She changes moods quickly.  When she is angry, it is severe.  I am very happy that I discovered this site.  I want someone to talk to, to get ideas.  Right now, it is 3 days before Thanksgiving and she talks to me at night after work and during the days when I am at work she becomes quiet,  has yet to take my phone calls or respond to them.  I think that her silence is "tag, you're it", performing acts - cold shoulder - and in the past I would have reciprocated with my cold shoulder, and therefore "I am "it", and then go and try to tag her.    I have changed; now I call continue to call her every 4 or 5 hours and leave a message so she knows that I love her and that I am the same with or without her cold shoulder. 

What does anyone think about this?    What do you suggest that I do or do not do?

PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Rapt Reader
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: married

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 01:13:33 PM »

Hello, caregiver &  Welcome

I think that her silence is "tag, you're it", performing acts - cold shoulder - and in the past I would have reciprocated with my cold shoulder, and therefore "I am "it", and then go and try to tag her. I have changed; now I call continue to call her every 4 or 5 hours and leave a message so she knows that I love her and that I am the same with or without her cold shoulder. 

What does anyone think about this?  What do you suggest that I do or do not do?

I think you are doing the right thing, actually  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

In our relationships with our loved ones--BPD or not, really--when things are complicated and stressful and hurtful, we can't change them in any way. We can however, change ourselves and the way we deal with them... .and when we do that, they in turn will react differently to us, oftentimes making things better. You've taken a first step by extricating yourself from the tangle of hurting each other, distancing yourself from your own hurt feelings and detaching from the conflict. That's good  Being cool (click to insert in post)

In order to continue learning about your wife's disorder, gaining a better understanding of how her mind works and what you can do to communicate and deal with her better, I suggest you check out every one of the links to the right-hand side of this page, paying special attention to Tools: Communication, Validation, and reinforcement of good behavior so you can continue to put a plan in place to see if you can make the relationship better.

You are in the right place, caregiver, for the support and insights you are looking for. Keep reading all you can, and telling us your story and asking your questions... .We want to help 

maxsterling

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner
Relationship status: living together, engaged

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 02:02:43 PM »

I think similar has worked for me.  She may want nothing to do with me, and I might be tired of the drama, yet me completely avoiding her makes things worse.  But I want to avoid her, because I need a break, and I feel hurt.  Following suggestions on here and from our counselor, I have tried staying present, and periodically making gestures to let her know I haven't gone away.  So, I may ask her if she needs a glass of water or something to drink.  Or I may send a text message just checking in.  And I use her response to feel out if she is receptive to more communication. 

caregiver

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 06:26:05 PM »

Thank you everyone.   I am very happy when I found this site.   Someone else said and I agree:  "I felt the same amazement as Tarzan might have felt walking out of the jungle and seeing humans."
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest