Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 03:09:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jumbled thought and ideas from pwBPD  (Read 459 times)
ColdEthyl

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married 2 years

« on: November 25, 2014, 05:23:10 PM »

I had a brief disagreement with my husband last night until I could understand what he was saying... .he sometimes will get upset, then rattle things off that don't seem connected... .until later on.

I was talking to my children about what was going on in Ferguson, I wanted them to understand so we talked about it. My husband motioned me to the bedroom, and at first is saying something about how when I get home from work, I've had people to talk to all day and he has no one (I hear this one a lot), so don't think for a second what I have to say is more important... .huh? (I've been home 4 hours at this point) Then he goes on to say when he went to the store earlier he made a joke with the kids he wasn't coming back, and my D14 playfully said "Noo you gotta come back!" and he said how great that made him feel, but he doesn't care about them at all. ... .Huh? I said honey I'm sorry I'm not following you... .well THEN he said when I talked to the kids about Ferguson, he wanted to be included, and me talking to them about it without him made him feel like he didn't matter and his thoughts didn't matter. DING DING DING!

He gets frustrated when I don't understand him right away, but sometimes his thoughts are just jumbled up... .I think he's grasping at many ideas... .trying to weave them all together to justify how he feels O.o

Overtime, will I be able to pick these things up quicker? Does anyone have any good strategies on this?
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

maxsterling

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner
Relationship status: living together, engaged

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 05:43:51 PM »

I want to laugh because I can relate.  She may be upset about something and claim one thing that really makes little sense to me, but the real reason is something that happened hours or days ago that does make sense.  An example was the other day - she started going off criticizing this friend of hers, claiming the friend was unhealthy and had all kinds of personal issues.  The real issue was that my SO has asked the friend to keep in touch with her after her dental surgery, and the friend only sent one text message "hope you feel better".  Being upset at how someone else lives her life doesn't make much sense, but being upset because a friend did not call when she asked her to makes sense.

You asked how to pick up on these things quicker. First and foremost remember rule #1:  It's almost never about you or what they claim it to be about.  As to uncovering what the real issue is - that takes time and experience.  Ask the right questions, learn the pwBPDs patterns, take a guess, listen... .  But also bear in mind that their problems aren't yours to fix.  If they are upset, they are upset, and to not take it personally.

Jessica84

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 06:01:21 PM »

Jumbled thoughts come from jumbled feelings and come out as jumbled statements.

Sounds like "sorry I'm not following you" did the trick! This got him to state his real feelings so you could validate. Honest and sincere approach without having to mind-read. I'm gonna try that in the future!

Mie

Relationship status: Living together since Dec 2004

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 09:01:57 AM »

He gets frustrated when I don't understand him right away, but sometimes his thoughts are just jumbled up... .I think he's grasping at many ideas... .trying to weave them all together to justify how he feels O.o

How familiar 

My partner (uBPD) has been very 'obscure' last few weeks and seems to talk about many things at the same time - while he's blaming me for being unclear and very bad in communicating. Sometimes I have had a hunch of what he might be really upset about, and I asked him, which is a risk. I have been mostly right and he admits that yes, that is actually what bothers him and he calms down immediately! However, if I make a wrong guess, that triggers him more... .

ColdEthyl

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 12:59:50 PM »

Oh yeah... .gotta be careful about guessing and especially guessing wrong. I've noticed when I state my questions like "This is what I am hearing... ." that usually goes better.

Even when I did finally figure out what he meant, I was like "whoa ok baby... .so sorry I made you feel that way. I'm used from my previous marriage of doing everything myself, and I wasn't mindful and didn't think about how you felt. I will work on that." Which I mean. I certainly didn't mean to leave him out, I jut straight up didn't think about it.

I went through "are you just saying that are you just saying that" about 3 times before he finally believed me, then he started crying, and saying thank you for listening to him, and he was sorry he got upset.

Max: I know I'm not going to be able to 'fix' him or his issues, I don't bother with a lot of things, like his fading his parents or throwing a fit about someone didn't put cheese on his burger. However, when I don't know right away what the problem is... .that's the part that's tricky. In this case, I do feel like I could have handled that situation differently. Yes... .his reaction is blown out of proportion... .but it always will be. I can accept that because he's been working on that, and had gotten pretty good to where I can get him to lower his voice and clam down down within seconds.

I guess with time and practice, my SETfu will get better Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)

How familiar 

My partner (uBPD) has been very 'obscure' last few weeks and seems to talk about many things at the same time - while he's blaming me for being unclear and very bad in communicating. Sometimes I have had a hunch of what he might be really upset about, and I asked him, which is a risk. I have been mostly right and he admits that yes, that is actually what bothers him and he calms down immediately! However, if I make a wrong guess, that triggers him more... .

Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2014, 09:22:43 AM »

I had a brief disagreement with my husband last night until I could understand what he was saying... .he sometimes will get upset, then rattle things off that don't seem connected... .until later on.

... .I've had people to talk to all day and he has no one (I hear this one a lot), so don't think for a second what I have to say is more important... .huh? he wanted to be included, and me talking to them about it without him made him feel like he didn't matter and his thoughts didn't matter. DING DING DING!

Ethyl, some of these words I've heard verbatim from my husband, particularly the "not included" business. Sometimes if I'm talking to people in a group and I don't make an effort "to include" him, then he'll get upset and I'll hear about it later. I think What the heck? If he wanted to be included, he should just "include" himself. It's very frustrating--it's not like he's an English as second language speaker. He's a lawyer and he can talk circles around me. Speak the ___ up, dude! Rant over. Thanks!

“The Four Agreements  1. Be impeccable with your word.  2. Don’t take anything personally.  3. Don’t make assumptions.  4. Always do your best. ”     ― Miguel Ruiz, The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
bruceli

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2014, 01:16:00 PM »

Jumbled thoughts come from jumbled feelings and come out as jumbled statements.

Sounds like "sorry I'm not following you" did the trick! This got him to state his real feelings so you could validate. Honest and sincere approach without having to mind-read. I'm gonna try that in the future!

Very well put, what I think though with my pwPD is jumbled statements come from strong feelings and strong thoughts that make them uncomfortable because of the fear of engulfment.  The jumbled statements are their attempt to not have to say how they really feel due to possible rejection and abandonment.
ColdEthyl

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 12:18:38 PM »

... .I've had people to talk to all day and he has no one (I hear this one a lot), so don't think for a second what I have to say is more important... .huh? he wanted to be included, and me talking to them about it without him made him feel like he didn't matter and his thoughts didn't matter. DING DING DING!

Ethyl, some of these words I've heard verbatim from my husband, particularly the "not included" business. Sometimes if I'm talking to people in a group and I don't make an effort "to include" him, then he'll get upset and I'll hear about it later. I think What the heck? If he wanted to be included, he should just "include" himself. It's very frustrating--it's not like he's an English as second language speaker. He's a lawyer and he can talk circles around me. Speak the ___ up, dude! Rant over. Thanks!

I know! It's so frustrating! >.< He's more than welcome to jump in there anytime he wants. But I have to take a step back and say ok... .this is not how his brain works, so how can we work on this issue together with that in mind.

Sometimes I do feel like I have to put on a different face for him, like a "talking to a pwBPD" face. I can't flat out say what I want, because it won't be translated the way I mean it. Almost like dealing with someone who speaks a different language. Perhaps that's how i should look at it... .not a different face, but a different language for him.
Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2014, 07:02:54 PM »

I know! It's so frustrating! >.< He's more than welcome to jump in there anytime he wants. But I have to take a step back and say ok... .this is not how his brain works, so how can we work on this issue together with that in mind.

Sometimes I do feel like I have to put on a different face for him, like a "talking to a pwBPD" face. I can't flat out say what I want, because it won't be translated the way I mean it. Almost like dealing with someone who speaks a different language. Perhaps that's how i should look at it... .not a different face, but a different language for him.

This helps me have more compassion for my BPDh. It's like words (and facial expressions) mean something different to him than they do to me. It really is like speaking with someone who doesn't share my language.

And when he misunderstands, he always frames it as anger or not being liked. It is so tiresome and childish, and he's got to be incredibly wounded to keep thinking along those lines. 

“The Four Agreements  1. Be impeccable with your word.  2. Don’t take anything personally.  3. Don’t make assumptions.  4. Always do your best. ”     ― Miguel Ruiz, The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
Mie

Relationship status: Living together since Dec 2004

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2014, 09:39:33 PM »

]

This helps me have more compassion for my BPDh. It's like words (and facial expressions) mean something different to him than they do to me. It really is like speaking with someone who doesn't share my language.

And when he misunderstands, he always frames it as anger or not being liked. It is so tiresome and childish, and he's got to be incredibly wounded to keep thinking along those lines. 

Spot on! 'BPD language' indeed. It's also about trying to avoid taboos and triggers, which you possibly can't know beforehand, because there's no logic.

We are busy with trying to save our company and surviving off season. This extremely stressful to him which means normal communication is technically impossible, every second word is potential trigger, so I try to speak as little as possible. Normally, in the time of crisis, I would like to discuss all options, develop ideas and come up with solutions, while he is in turmoil, telling me he wants to get rid of the s... .t and me and be free.

I told him my idea of discussing with the landlord about dividing yearly rent so that we would pay more in high season and less in low season, when the end result would be same but much easier for us. WHOA! Jekyll turns to Hyde. Would you make any sense of this response... .'Haaa! You are a sucker. You are ALL suckers! I'm sick and tired your attitude! F... .off. F... .with your mr x. You can't even f... .you sucker. You  are SO greedy. You people are all greedy suckers! You should suck your own tits. Oh, but you don't have any! God you are pathetic... .'. 

Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2014, 11:01:31 AM »

... .normal communication is technically impossible, every second word is potential trigger, so I try to speak as little as possible. Normally, in the time of crisis, I would like to discuss all options, develop ideas and come up with solutions, while he is in turmoil, telling me he wants to get rid of the s... .t and me and be free.

It's so frustrating not to be able to have a normal communication with someone, especially when running a business together. I know how difficult that was with my BPDxh. As badly as he acted out, somehow we were able to communicate better than I can with my current BPDh, who is typically a sweetheart, except when he feels that no one likes him and gets depressed.

Last night we were talking and against better judgment, I attempted to tell him that he's been keeping me at a distance when I try to express love or even positive feelings for him. The conversation actually started with him telling me that I didn't want to spend time with him, after we had just watched a stupid movie together (his choice). I realized that I was heading towards JADE territory, but I wanted to tell him that I felt rejected because when I try to hug him he becomes distant and often pushes me away.

It was an interesting experiment because I tried to tell him, using I statements, how I felt being rejected. Therefore it makes sense that I get involved in my own interests and projects because who would continually subject themselves to repeated rejection? I tried very hard to explain that it was about my feelings, yet he took it as a criticism and that he was "all bad."

It was a great example of why JADEing doesn't work and I saw him get dysregulated and more and more illogical, which is interesting coming from an attorney.

The double standard really became evident: that he didn't care about my feelings, while his are sacrosanct. But I saw how counterproductive it was trying to explain how I felt, even though I remained calm and logical and diligently kept repeating that these were my feelings and I wasn't criticizing him. The nuance was completely lost on him.

ColdEthyl

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2014, 03:46:23 PM »

The Go-to feeling for them is anger. Defensiveness and anger. And that's the problem... .emotionally they ARE forever toddlers.
ColdEthyl

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2014, 03:50:40 PM »

... .normal communication is technically impossible, every second word is potential trigger, so I try to speak as little as possible. Normally, in the time of crisis, I would like to discuss all options, develop ideas and come up with solutions, while he is in turmoil, telling me he wants to get rid of the s... .t and me and be free.

It's so frustrating not to be able to have a normal communication with someone, especially when running a business together. I know how difficult that was with my BPDxh. As badly as he acted out, somehow we were able to communicate better than I can with my current BPDh, who is typically a sweetheart, except when he feels that no one likes him and gets depressed.

Last night we were talking and against better judgment, I attempted to tell him that he's been keeping me at a distance when I try to express love or even positive feelings for him. The conversation actually started with him telling me that I didn't want to spend time with him, after we had just watched a stupid movie together (his choice). I realized that I was heading towards JADE territory, but I wanted to tell him that I felt rejected because when I try to hug him he becomes distant and often pushes me away.

It was an interesting experiment because I tried to tell him, using I statements, how I felt being rejected. Therefore it makes sense that I get involved in my own interests and projects because who would continually subject themselves to repeated rejection? I tried very hard to explain that it was about my feelings, yet he took it as a criticism and that he was "all bad."

It was a great example of why JADEing doesn't work and I saw him get dysregulated and more and more illogical, which is interesting coming from an attorney.

The double standard really became evident: that he didn't care about my feelings, while his are sacrosanct. But I saw how counterproductive it was trying to explain how I felt, even though I remained calm and logical and diligently kept repeating that these were my feelings and I wasn't criticizing him. The nuance was completely lost on him.

That's tricky because sometimes my husband can hear me... sometimes he cannot. When he cannot hear me, he assumed attacks against him. He drinks 2-3 times a week, and those are days he most likely will dysregulate. On some of those occasions, he would yell  "I'm not drunk! I'm right on this! My feelings are my own and no one can tell how to feel!"

At no time did I say anything of the sort. I didn't bring up the drinking, nor did I say he "can't" feel something. So sometimes, they just go off on the voices in their heads that tells them they are useless and wrong sometimes. The drinking bit I think is probably guilt.
ColdEthyl

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2014, 03:57:14 PM »

Sorry Mie, I didn't see your post right away.

Yep... .that's pretty close to the rants I hear occasionally. His favorite thing to call me is stupid. There isn't any logic to it, and when my husband gets like that, I just tell him "You're right! It's total BS!" and "I'm sorry you are angry, I know this is frustrating"

The last blow up he had I talked about on here somewhere... .while he was ranting I just kept looking into his eyes, touching his face and smiling. It threw him off at first he was like ":)on't touch me! I hate you!" and I just said I love you hunny, I'm sorry you are hurting... .and he sort of sputtered a bit and calmed down. I dunno if that will work for everyone, or every time, but I will try it again next time.

]

Spot on! 'BPD language' indeed. It's also about trying to avoid taboos and triggers, which you possibly can't know beforehand, because there's no logic.

We are busy with trying to save our company and surviving off season. This extremely stressful to him which means normal communication is technically impossible, every second word is potential trigger, so I try to speak as little as possible. Normally, in the time of crisis, I would like to discuss all options, develop ideas and come up with solutions, while he is in turmoil, telling me he wants to get rid of the s... .t and me and be free.

I told him my idea of discussing with the landlord about dividing yearly rent so that we would pay more in high season and less in low season, when the end result would be same but much easier for us. WHOA! Jekyll turns to Hyde. Would you make any sense of this response... .'Haaa! You are a sucker. You are ALL suckers! I'm sick and tired your attitude! F... .off. F... .with your mr x. You can't even f... .you sucker. You  are SO greedy. You people are all greedy suckers! You should suck your own tits. Oh, but you don't have any! God you are pathetic... .'. 

Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2014, 04:44:18 PM »

... .sometimes my husband can hear me... sometimes he cannot. When he cannot hear me, he assumed attacks against him. He drinks 2-3 times a week, and those are days he most likely will dysregulate. On some of those occasions, he would yell  "I'm not drunk! I'm right on this! My feelings are my own and no one can tell how to feel!"

At no time did I say anything of the sort. I didn't bring up the drinking, nor did I say he "can't" feel something. So sometimes, they just go off on the voices in their heads that tells them they are useless and wrong sometimes. The drinking bit I think is probably guilt.

One time, when he wasn't drinking at the moment, I asked my husband what drinking does for him. He said it was like the only friend he had and comforted him in his loneliness. I can see why it's hard to give up.

Yep... .that's pretty close to the rants I hear occasionally. His favorite thing to call me is stupid. There isn't any logic to it, and when my husband gets like that, I just tell him "You're right! It's total BS!" and "I'm sorry you are angry, I know this is frustrating"

The last blow up he had I talked about on here somewhere... .while he was ranting I just kept looking into his eyes, touching his face and smiling. It threw him off at first he was like ":)on't touch me! I hate you!" and I just said I love you hunny, I'm sorry you are hurting... .and he sort of sputtered a bit and calmed down. I dunno if that will work for everyone, or every time, but I will try it again next time.

Wow! I'd have to be a good actress to pull that off--or at least get over being p!ssed at him. Does sound like something interesting to try when I'm centered enough.

ColdEthyl

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2014, 05:15:58 PM »

I'm pretty good at detaching myself from his behavior now that I know where the bile is coming from. I don't take it personal, especially when he's not even coherent with his thoughts... .I know he's just lashing out.

Yes, the drinking. My husband says his brain has 1,000 thoughts a minute, and it helps slow it down. He was drinking when we met, I accepted it then because he's not out of control with it, and I have my own vices. No reason, IMO, to dog him for his when I have mine. If he ever goes too far by drinking too much or too often, I let him know and he cuts it back.

I don't promote self medication by any means, but I'm not going to pretend I don't do it, either.

... .sometimes my husband can hear me... sometimes he cannot. When he cannot hear me, he assumed attacks against him. He drinks 2-3 times a week, and those are days he most likely will dysregulate. On some of those occasions, he would yell  "I'm not drunk! I'm right on this! My feelings are my own and no one can tell how to feel!"

One time, when he wasn't drinking at the moment, I asked my husband what drinking does for him. He said it was like the only friend he had and comforted him in his loneliness. I can see why it's hard to give up.

Wow! I'd have to be a good actress to pull that off--or at least get over being p!ssed at him. Does sound like something interesting to try when I'm centered enough.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest