Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 29, 2024, 12:55:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The disdain - contempt - and ugliness... can't stand it anymore - HELP  (Read 599 times)
jedimaster

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Married - 34 yrs; Separated - 2 weeks; Divorced - ASAP

« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2014, 08:41:54 PM »

I really didn't expect it to go on that long, as she was getting ready to leave for an appointment and it was time to go.  I considered getting up and leaving, but I knew she had a finite amount of time and I wasn't feeling under any stress.  I don't know if she was late getting where she was going, but she was about 20 minutes late leaving the house, and she knew she had caused it, as I had done nothing but sit and listen.  I do understand your point GK and I'm working to remind myself I don't have to listen to anything I choose not to.  Next time she starts if there's not a preexisting deadline like there was today, I'm prepared to give her some space to cool down.  Today actually wasn't heated, it was just a laundry list of her projecting everything she was feeling on to me.  I just sat there in my Force-bubble and let her get it all out.  By the time she left I think she figured out she wasn't going to get any reaction today.

"Do.  Or do not.  There is no try."  | "Train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose.”  |  "Anger, fear, aggression; the dark side of the Force are they. Easily they flow, quick to join you in a fight. If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny." ~ Yoda
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Jack_50

« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2014, 01:03:55 AM »

My solution : blame it on the hormones (quietly), and have a good day  Being cool (click to insert in post)

I wouldn't recommend that. It would be very dismissive, invalidating and likely to be a huge trigger.

But the principle of just accepting it was one of those things you cant control is similar

As a woman that has been struggling with hormonal stuff lately, it would be very invalidating and would likely cause a trigger. I think I have been pretty good and keeping myself in check when struggling with hormone surges and cramps but I am not a saint and nothing feels worse than somebody chalking things up to hormones and ignoring you.

Hi there,

Thank you for your opinion, it's always good to hear the other side as well.

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but I brought it up because in my marriage the worst abuse always happens around that time, no exceptions yet in 13 years; it might apply to the situation of some of the people posting here.

And I've been frustrated to no end about this, hence my escapism.  

The thing that makes me ignore her entire "issue", is that I do not see any reward for suffering and supporting her through that week.  A simple "Thank you" afterwards would mean the world to me, and make me try even harder next time, as she shows awareness of and responsibility for her actions.  But no, according to her I'm supposed to do this by default because I am a man... .

Part of the problem is probably a man-woman communication thing : I need direct feedback, while she maybe indirectly pampers me sometime later; just that I do not link that to this issue.

It's not easy... .

Jack
Theo41

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2014, 02:24:30 AM »

Night moves, the first step is to begin to internalize that it IS an illness... .like depression, alcoholism, diabetes, etc.

Second step is for them to receive treatment for the illness: DBT Therapy. Unfortunately most high functioning BPDs are in denial and refuse treatment.

Third step is to figure out how and if you can live with it . I think for the present I am able to do that with the boundries that I wrote you about earlier.

Final step is either to go down with the ship or leave.

One final note, again: make sure the children are protected from the toxicity of BPD behavior. It can ruin their young lives and create emotional  issues that can cripple them as adults. Theo
enlighten me

« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2014, 02:28:31 AM »

I appologise if this has already been said as I havent read all the posts yet.

just wanted to put my spin on it from what I went through and what I read.

I have a short sleep pattern and cant just lay in bed. I would get up before exgf and sort things out fot the day. My ex would normally come doen in a bad mood. I now believe this is due to abandonment. When she wakes up and im not there then in her eyes I have abandoned her. She msybe fretted that I have left her and when sje saw I was there still she got angry for putting her through it.

Grey Kitty

Relationship status: Separated

« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2014, 07:00:26 AM »

My solution : blame it on the hormones (quietly), and have a good day  Being cool (click to insert in post)

I wouldn't recommend that. It would be very dismissive, invalidating and likely to be a huge trigger.

But the principle of just accepting it was one of those things you cant control is similar

As a woman that has been struggling with hormonal stuff lately, it would be very invalidating and would likely cause a trigger. I think I have been pretty good and keeping myself in check when struggling with hormone surges and cramps but I am not a saint and nothing feels worse than somebody chalking things up to hormones and ignoring you.

My wife did have hormonal mood swings over the years. She was on the pill (prescribed for cramps!), and went to antidepressants partially due to the side effects. Then she quit both at once(!) and the natural monthly cycle of moods restarted. In the last couple years of peri-menopause, the mood swings were there, but no longer on a regular schedule. She seems to be settling down a little bit on the other side now.

Since she was able to acknowledge the mood swings, I did sometimes ASK her if she could be feeling irritable due hormonal reasons, especially if I'd noticed any of the physical changes that happened at that time of the month. I did tread lightly in this area whenever I went there.

If she didn't acknowledge this, I agree 100% that for me to say anything would be invalidating... .AND STUPID! If I know she's irritable, saying something invalidating is a HORRIBLE idea!

For the rest of you guys... .it *IS* worth paying attention to, and saying very little about, if anything.
waverider
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: married 8 yrs, together 16yrs

If YOU don't change, things will stay the same

« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2014, 07:27:15 PM »

Hormonal mood swings are no doubt another source of trigger. Likewise they can also mask the real issue. Hence it is easier to accept "it happens' rather than trying to put a diagnosis on individual episodes.

Assumption is the mother of all stuff ups.

Reality is shared and open to debate, feelings are individual and real
nightmoves

« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2014, 12:27:33 PM »

Excerpt
Night moves, the first step is to begin to internalize that it IS an illness... .like depression, alcoholism, diabetes, etc.

Second step is for them to receive treatment for the illness: DBT Therapy. Unfortunately most high functioning BPDs are in denial and refuse treatment.

Third step is to figure out how and if you can live with it . I think for the present I am able to do that with the boundries that I wrote you about earlier.

Final step is either to go down with the ship or leave.

One final note, again: make sure the children are protected from the toxicity of BPD behavior. It can ruin their young lives and create emotional  issues that can cripple them as adults. Theo

Theo - poignant.

Thank you very much.

Night

PS... .I did note that ... .there was no "saving the ship"in the multiple choices... .

I assume that was intentional... .;-)
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest