Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 20, 2024, 06:25:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: He Doesn't Like Counseling  (Read 577 times)
Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2014, 05:59:34 PM »

No matter what happens, the relationship will never be what I had wanted it to be or what I pretended it was. No matter what happens moving forward, my husband and I have a history together and there will always be wounds and baggage that we have to work with on a daily basis. I can rethink what it is that I want or will accept out of a relationship but that is never going to be what I wanted out of a relationship up to this point. I will be perfectly honest and admit that I struggle with accepting the reality of my situation. I have always known things under the surface but was able to deny or pretend that it wasn't there.

I really understand the grief that comes with the acceptance that the relationship may never even approximate what one might have believed it to be in the beginning. That sounds really abstract and convoluted. Perhaps a better way for me to express it would be that somewhere love died and in its place there's an angry stranger. Fortunately my stranger is not overtly angry very often, but he turns the anger within and is regularly depressed. Kind of sucks the life out of the room when he enters. So much for the warm and loving man he was at the beginning. I guess I'm now aloof and removed, so he has something to gripe about too.

Condolences on the loss of your aunt. 

“The Four Agreements  1. Be impeccable with your word.  2. Don’t take anything personally.  3. Don’t make assumptions.  4. Always do your best. ”     ― Miguel Ruiz, The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

vortex of confusion

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2014, 08:24:36 PM »

Thank you all for the condolences!

Excerpt
I really understand the grief that comes with the acceptance that the relationship may never even approximate what one might have believed it to be in the beginning. That sounds really abstract and convoluted. Perhaps a better way for me to express it would be that somewhere love died and in its place there's an angry stranger. Fortunately my stranger is not overtly angry very often, but he turns the anger within and is regularly depressed. Kind of sucks the life out of the room when he enters. So much for the warm and loving man he was at the beginning. I guess I'm now aloof and removed, so he has something to gripe about too.

I keep reading about how in the beginning things were all great and wonderful with a partner. Yes, my husband and I got along in the beginning and at different parts during our marriage but there was never the love bombing. Heck, he wouldn't even ask me to be his girlfriend. I am the one that had to ask him if we were boyfriend and girlfriend or what. I feel like there has always been something missing between us, like maybe a basic lack of compatibility. I sometimes wonder if we are both BPD or if we are both suffering from PTSD from a natural disaster that happened early on. And then there are other days when I wonder if both of our behavior is due to the fact that we chose each other because we were afraid to be alone. Now that we have 4 kids, we are trying to make the best of the situation. I cope with it by trying to fix myself and everything around me and he copes by withdrawing into his computer and stuff like that.

Excerpt
You sure had hopes and dreams that your H would be capable of things that (as of today) he's obviously not capable of. I don't think you were really hoping for a fantasy that walked off the screen of a Disney princess movie  Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)

I was going to make a joke about Shrek but I don't think Shrek was Disney. Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)

Again, thanks for the condolences. It was due to natural causes but it was still unexpected and there has been some FOO drama.
Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2014, 10:41:50 PM »

I keep reading about how in the beginning things were all great and wonderful with a partner. Yes, my husband and I got along in the beginning and at different parts during our marriage but there was never the love bombing. Heck, he wouldn't even ask me to be his girlfriend. I am the one that had to ask him if we were boyfriend and girlfriend or what. I feel like there has always been something missing between us, like maybe a basic lack of compatibility. I sometimes wonder if we are both BPD or if we are both suffering from PTSD from a natural disaster that happened early on. And then there are other days when I wonder if both of our behavior is due to the fact that we chose each other because we were afraid to be alone. Now that we have 4 kids, we are trying to make the best of the situation. I cope with it by trying to fix myself and everything around me and he copes by withdrawing into his computer and stuff like that.

Excerpt
Nope, nope, nope! I've been reading your posts, Vortex, and no way are you BPD.

“The Four Agreements  1. Be impeccable with your word.  2. Don’t take anything personally.  3. Don’t make assumptions.  4. Always do your best. ”     ― Miguel Ruiz, The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
Grey Kitty

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Separated

« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2014, 11:42:15 PM »

I concur. You are nowhere near BPD.

As for your H... .I consider the question ":)oes he have BPD?" to be much less important than this question: ":)o the tools and lessons and support I'm getting here help me improve my marriage?"
formflier
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2014, 07:12:08 AM »

I'm with GK.  Don't focus on yes or no to BPD.  There is no doubt he displays traits... .or behaviors.  There may be many reasons why he does this... .if the reasons are different... .you still use the tools the same for the behavior.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest