Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 23, 2024, 09:01:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
VIDEO: "What is parental alienation?" Parental alienation is when a parent allows a child to participate or hear them degrade the other parent. This is not uncommon in divorces and the children often adjust. In severe cases, however, it can be devastating to the child. This video provides a helpful overview.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where do I start.  (Read 375 times)
jstevej
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: December 04, 2014, 12:25:29 PM »

Hey. I'm am expecting a girl in April with someone who has been diagnosed BPD. Was a very short relationship, amd I was pushed away as she needed to get herself better before having a relationship,which I suppose was honest amd mature of her, yet she fell pregnant. So now One minute she wants to be together she's lovely wants to chat see eachother, then it's just friends, then she goes balistic amd is rude blunt cold with me when I mention the way she acts and makes me feel. Now she will only talk about the baby instead of our problems amd just doesn't care...
ForeverDad
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: separated 2005 then divorced

You can't reason with the Voice of Unreason...

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 09:56:33 PM »

More will respond later but I can confirm that long term it may be that, in one aspect, she is right... .it may end up being just about the child.  Yes, you want her better and want to show her how to be better but you can't control that and worse still, she may refuse to listen to you.  Imagine how she sees it, that you're speaking through a tube and all she hears is the distortions of her perceptions.  The emotional connection is too much for her to truly listen, at least not consistently.  BPD is a disorder most evident in close relationships and what is closer than what you two had, however briefly?  Some emotional distance and the passage of time will hopefully reduce the distortions and blaming in her perceptions and moods.

A therapist will be more likely to help her much more than you can, a good therapist will avoid getting emotionally entangled with her.

While you can support her efforts to seek a measure of recovery and improvement, it will likely only be to the extent she allows.

It's very likely you will just have to focus on being a father - hopefully she won't obstruct that or use your child a leverage to abuse or control you - and accept that your relationship with her, if she allows any, will of necessity be secondary.

livednlearned
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 12:35:19 PM »

Hi jstevej,

These are confusing relationships -- have you had a chance to learn about BPD? The more you read, the easier it is to make sense of what often doesn't make sense.

Do you know if she received any treatment, like DBT therapy? Also curious if her family is involved at all in her life, and if so, do you have any relationship with them?

Breathe.
scraps66

Relationship status: Separated 9/2008, living apart since 1/2010

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2014, 06:38:57 AM »

Have you considered that she baited you into the pregnancy?  This is very common with BP's, it is one way of making sure you can't run far.  This is what happened to me, but it was more complex.  I actually think that my BP did not factor in that I would insist on staying after our now S10 was born, I think she felt that she would have the child all to herself and could mold him into her own life long advocate.  This burden is having an adverse impact on my S10 who has significant behavioral issues.  More on this scenario in an article "Blackmailed Into Fatherhood."

I'm just surmising without asking the question, so forgive me if this is inaccurate.  But, my ex, after becoming pregnant, became almost resentful with me, indifferent to my presence, I almost felt as if I shouldn't be with her.  Any type of affection, especially physical was gone.  One of my theories is that her thinking is so twisted nad unreal that she never fully considered the fact that she would have to "share" this child with the father.

BTW, the pregnancy "happened" just short of our fourth month together.  She claimed to be on the pill and "forgot."     
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest