Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 24, 2024, 08:23:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Success/Breakthrough  (Read 419 times)
hopeful+trying

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Relationship status: in a relationship with pwBPD

« on: December 04, 2014, 06:28:37 PM »

Had a really good breakthrough with my girlfriend who has BPD. Last week I arranged a free counselling session for myself, to talk about my relationship struggles - in particular her self-harm/suicidal problems and the way she treats me in general (everything has been extremely unstable recently). I've put up with a lot for nearly a year, and its getting a lot to deal with recently. Anyway, she has always had major problems validating and accepting that I have my own feelings too. She always thinks that I should be able to deal perfectly well with being in a relationship with her - only her feelings matter and I should always put her first not myself. So I got this counselling appointment and did not tell her - obviously she wouldn't understand and it would cause a BPD frenzy.

However she spotted a text on my phone from the counselling team (I was on my phone, she wasn't searching through it), and she asked me about it.  I came clean as lying would have made the matter worse. I explained that I'd booked myself an appointment to vent my feelings and thoughts as it can be overwhelming to be with her. SHE WENT MENTAL. We argued for half an hour before she left my house. We continued to argue over the phone. She said that if I went for counselling then she would end the relationship. I did not back down, I made it clear that I was going to be attending this appointment (I need to for my own sake and our relationship). I spent time explaining to her why I needed to talk to somebody else. I was very careful not to become verbally aggressive with her (sometimes she really drives me crazy and I can get a bit harsh with my tone). She was very upset that I'd gone behind her back - understandable, but she knows she lacks any empathy towards me, so it seemed a bad idea to tell her.

Anyway, I expressed my feelings on why I want a counselling session, how this doesn't mean that I think my feelings are worse than hers, and why I didn't tell her in the first place. I told her that I was doing this purely for myself and our relationship, how I don't want to lose her. Being so open and honest, and not backing down to what she wanted (me to not go for counselling), worked really well. She gradually grew to understand  where I was coming from. This is one of first boundaries I've set with her that has been successful. Now she understands why I want to go to counselling, and she is letting me go without any issues. It took several hours of arguing but I cannot believe that she is accepting what I want. She even said that she struggles to see things outside of her bubble and that as long as she's in the loop then counselling might be a good thing. For someone who has a major problem validating my emotions, she has amazed me tonight.

Basically I've learned how to stay strong and get what I need in this relationship. And at the same time, keeping her calm and sane.  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

waverider
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: married 8 yrs, together 16yrs

If YOU don't change, things will stay the same

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 01:49:20 AM »

Well done Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

Succeeding with your first boundaries is like your first bungy jump. Scary, hair raising, feel like you are going to hit the bottom then pleasantly relieved when what seems inevitable doesn't happen

Reality is shared and open to debate, feelings are individual and real
jedimaster

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Married - 34 yrs; Separated - 2 weeks; Divorced - ASAP

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 08:52:34 AM »

Wow, great job!  I think waverider has a pretty good description of setting boundaries.  IMO, I think being up front was the right thing to do under those circumstances.  Remember that your counseling is your counseling and you are under no obligation to justify how/when/why you go to anyone, including (especially?) your GF. 

Just goes to show how every pwBPD is different even though they share a lot of common traits.  My BPDw pretty much ordered me into counseling to "get myself straightened out" and "fix our marriage."  Little did she know    Even a person with BPD should be careful what they wish for, they might get it.

"Do.  Or do not.  There is no try."  | "Train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose.”  |  "Anger, fear, aggression; the dark side of the Force are they. Easily they flow, quick to join you in a fight. If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny." ~ Yoda
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest