Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 23, 2024, 11:03:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Depression = 72% of members
Take the test, read about the implications, and check out the remedies.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Urgent advice needed - we are/were meeting to talk  (Read 591 times)
formflier
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2014, 06:43:42 AM »

but sometimes necessary when he refuses to talk. I don't even like to discuss important things with him over the phone.

Why is it necessary?  Why not let it be... .if he refuses to talk... .you don't talk.  He may actually be sparing you a big load of frustration... .as in he realizes he not in good position to talk... .and pushing it is not a good think.

Sorta happened to me last night.  I was triggered by some kids behavior... .nothing huge... .but I was not on my A game.  My wife kept pressing to talk... I told her I needed some time... .we tried to talk some and she got frustrated with  me that I was not making sense... .and was not calm.    Umm... .duhh... .I already told her I was not in shape to talk.

was to call him on this behavior

Generally a bad plan.  He knows how he behaved... .so do you.  Going over it again... .rarely brings good results.

RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

mitti

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Broken up no contact 100% detached

« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2014, 07:11:29 AM »

You called him with an urgent matter from the mall, but couldn't talk about it at the time because it was a busy place that you called from.  He called you back while you were on the other line and you purposely didn't answer his call because you've "relaxed" on these rules of engagement.  He said he'd call you in the morning.  All kinds of thoughts swirled through your head about why you couldn't/shouldn't call him back.  Then he canceled the meet up.  More swirling thoughts ensued... . Along with a strained text exchange.

To me, it's making mountains out of molehills.

First, this is a situation that we have needed to talk about for some time (around which some new issues had arisen) that he is avoiding bc he is avoiding having to take responsibility. He is also avoiding talking about the terms around the dance for the same reason. He is aware that all this needs to be discussed and has accepted that but he keeps ignoring that wanting to arrange dance practice and I have said we need to talk first. So this was what was going to be discussed on Mon or Tue.

No I didn't want to have a phone convo with him, this is true, bc I am convinced he would misconstrue something and dysregulate. When he called me I was one the phone. Had I not been on the phone I would have picked up but as he left a message that he would call me back and I didn't want to discuss it on the phone - which he is aware of - I didn't call him back. As I mentioned to formflier, discussing important things on the phone with him is not a good idea and usually does not work out to anybody's advantage. I rang and was totally flexible as to when we could meet. We live only a 5-minute walk from each other and he could have come around had he wanted to.

When I say I have relaxed these former 'rules' I mean his rules bc they are unreasonable and also only work one way, his way. He once threw a fit bc I had the phone on charger when he called me and I had milk on the stove that was about to boil over and I asked him to hang on for just a second.

If I have already told him I am not willing to discuss this over the phone, he knows the gist of it anyway, I have been flexible as to when, he has the option of coming around to my house that same evening, and he leaves a message that he will call me the next day, I still have to accommodate him and second guess what he might be feeling? That doesn't sound like a very healthy approach to me.

All I did was hold him to his own words that he would call back the next day. He knows what this concerns just not the details, though it may obviously seem as though he doesn't since I have not revealed that in this thread, but he does know.

Excerpt
I wonder what would have happened if you had sent a text (after listening to his voicemail) saying, "Hi! Got your message, thanks for calling back.  In brief, it's concerning exact details about such and such, which is important and so much easier for me to explain in person.  Looking forward to seeing you tomorrow! Smiling (click to insert in post) Hope you're having a nice night."

Like I have said, what it was about I had already told him over the phone just not these new details, that I only wanted to talk about in person. He knows why.

Excerpt
This is something that cannot easily be discussed over the phone which he also knows and we have talked about that several times. He has agreed to meet before about this situation but then always changed or cancelled or wanted to discuss it over the phone or otherwise been difficult. He is not an easy person to talk to over the phone. So he knew this.

If this is something that has been discussed several times in the past, then what makes you think it will be different this time around?

Because we still haven't met to talk about this. All we have talked about is that it needs to be talked about. I am sorry if this is confusing bc I am not revealing what it is, but I really don't feel comfortable doing that here.
mitti

« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2014, 07:16:04 AM »

"Hi! Got your message, thanks for calling back.  In brief, it's concerning exact details about such and such, which is important and so much easier for me to explain in person.  Looking forward to seeing you tomorrow! Smiling (click to insert in post) Hope you're having a nice night." 

123Phoebe... .I think you are on to something.

Two schools of thought... .

Expressing a sentiment and "ending it"... .or expressing a sentiment and putting the ball in his court to "hit back".

Either one is fine... .you sort of have to figure out which works best in this r/s.

Putting the ball back in his court would be something like... "I'm ready to talk... .please call when you are ready... "

Mitti,

Which approach do you think would be best in your r/s?

I understand what Phoebe is saying but in this particular situation discussing it over the phone just isn't an option. I am starting to feel I never should have started this thread bc my not revealing what this is about is causing all sorts of confusion

I had been as flexible as I could be. He had not been.
mitti

« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2014, 07:30:28 AM »

but sometimes necessary when he refuses to talk. I don't even like to discuss important things with him over the phone.

Why is it necessary?  Why not let it be... .if he refuses to talk... .you don't talk.  He may actually be sparing you a big load of frustration... .as in he realizes he not in good position to talk... .and pushing it is not a good think.

Sometimes I do discuss things with him over the phone despite it not being a good idea, to accommodate him, because he has such low tolerance for waiting. And we may even decide on something, that he then usually will not remember or have changed in his mind and then it takes another 3 phone calls to get straight or texts or potentially things just not happening bc he misunderstood.

This is necessary to talk about whether we dance together or not actually. It is something quite delicate that could potentially have some grave consequences, I just don't know at this stage but I needed to discuss it with him, in person.

Excerpt
  was to call him on this behavior

Generally a bad plan.  He knows how he behaved... .so do you.  Going over it again... .rarely brings good results.

Actually, since he started T and we got back in touch and have talked heaps about the past and his issues and my issues we have both changed a lot how we relate to each other and react. He wants to talk about this generally and is wanting to understand the dynamic. Usually he is the one to start talking about it.
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2014, 07:43:12 AM »

If it is needed to talk about... .but he is "avoidant"... .you have your answer.

"Chasing" and pwBPD to get them to interact with you generally fuels bad behavior.  If there are consequences from them being "avoidant"... .don't save them from those consequences.

mitti

« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2014, 08:08:13 AM »

If it is needed to talk about... .but he is "avoidant"... .you have your answer.

"Chasing" and pwBPD to get them to interact with you generally fuels bad behavior.  If there are consequences from them being "avoidant"... .don't save them from those consequences.

The consequences might be grave for me also, but sure I get that when he has reacted like this there is little I can do. Of course when I started the thread it hadn't come to this yet.

formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2014, 09:15:44 AM »

Right... the consequences could be grave for you.  But that is for you... .and not for him to decide.

So... .if he has proven unreliable to make plans with in the past... .and is not being reliable now.  Instead of trying to "force" him to be reliable... .use a boundary on yourself... .and don't make plans with him where the consequences of him "busting" those plans are "grave" on you.

Or... .if you choose to make those plans... .you have your eyes wide open about the risks you are taking... .

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest