Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 20, 2024, 12:38:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Survey: How do you compare?
Adult Children Sensitivity
67% are highly sensitive
Romantic Break-ups
73% have five or more recycles
Physical Hitting
66% of members were hit
Depression Test
61% of members are moderate-severe
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stay on the boards or take a break?  (Read 370 times)
reluctanthusband

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: December 11, 2014, 02:35:44 PM »

Should  I stay on the boards or take a break?  So there has been some measureable difference in the last few months.  I have been disengaging in a positive manner and that has seriously reduced the flare ups and freak out sessions.  She has agreed(her idea) to start going back to church as a family at our original church(but different campus).  She has also had moments of self reflection where she has admitted to making a mess of the finances.  So I have been at this point before where things have gotten somewhat better and going to the MC seems like it is not doing much.  The disengaging has worked for the both of us but mostly for me as I am not at my wits end every time she disregulates.  The difference between the other times and now is I know exactly what I am doing(disengaging) that is making the difference.  Where I wonder if I should stay on the boards is that I read the posts and it triggers my memories of bad emotional times and I get angry or upset.  I know I will never be rid of having to deal with it, but at least right now it seems manageable
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Pou

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Non existent. Co-habitat. She is extremely abusive and manipulative.

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 03:04:36 PM »

Should  I stay on the boards or take a break?  So there has been some measureable difference in the last few months.  I have been disengaging in a positive manner and that has seriously reduced the flare ups and freak out sessions.  She has agreed(her idea) to start going back to church as a family at our original church(but different campus).  She has also had moments of self reflection where she has admitted to making a mess of the finances.  So I have been at this point before where things have gotten somewhat better and going to the MC seems like it is not doing much.  The disengaging has worked for the both of us but mostly for me as I am not at my wits end every time she disregulates.  The difference between the other times and now is I know exactly what I am doing(disengaging) that is making the difference.  Where I wonder if I should stay on the boards is that I read the posts and it triggers my memories of bad emotional times and I get angry or upset.  I know I will never be rid of having to deal with it, but at least right now it seems manageable

I think you need to be reminded so you are prepared for anything, staying on board or not.

Grey Kitty

Relationship status: Separated

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 07:06:10 AM »

reluctanthusband, your own growth and progress will come in fits and spurts, and times where you take a break and consolidate things.

(And the same is true of any progress your wife makes!)

What I've experienced here and seen in others came in phases:

1. Desperation and total ignorance of the cause and pattern of my wife's behavior.

2. Learning about BPD and hope that something can change.

3. Initial damage control: Learning to enforce boundaries, and learning not to invalidate my wife.

4. Next steps improving my marriage: Learning to validate more, working on detaching and de-enmeshing from my wife.

I've also found times where I had to back up a step or two and revisit something I thought I was 'done' with.

I'm going through a new phase now, and it isn't quite as clear as the above steps. I'm more in touch with my own feelings and values, and I'm more reflective about how I got myself into this mess in the first place. It is a bit harder to describe or guide someone else on for me at this point.

I read the posts and it triggers my memories of bad emotional times and I get angry or upset.

You have two choices about this. The balance may shift, so allow yourself to do whatever you need to take good care of yourself.

1. Protect yourself by avoiding the triggering thing, when you will only harm yourself if you let yourself get triggered.

2. Allow yourself to experience those feelings of anger or hurt that come up. Sit with those feelings and experience them without stuffing the feelings, and without getting caught up in reacting to them.

It is hard work, and you will find that you can only take so much of it. (Go back to choice #1 for a while)

I've found that by helping guide others going through similar things I've managed to heal myself and cement my knowledge and skills.
Vindi

Relationship status: Living together

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 08:47:29 AM »

taking breaks from the board is ok, just don't take too long of a break... .cuz then you may not come back for a long time, and things with your wife could spin out of control.

I know I took breaks for a bit, maybe 2 weeks tops, but I always come back, i have to, i like to hear others and know that I am not alone.

I even read b4 in the past about someone who ended a relationship, then wanted to leave the boards since the relationship ended... .someone mentioned not to cuz even when relationships end, you still have a process to go thru and feelings... .

Wishing you the best!
Wrongturn1

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 11:59:01 AM »

I occasionally take breaks from the boards b/c reading them sometimes makes BPD take up too much space inside my head.  Still, I come back as this site is really my only form of support and validation that I am actually the sane one.   Smiling (click to insert in post)
Grey Kitty

Relationship status: Separated

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2014, 12:17:30 PM »

Glad you keep coming back. This site is fantastic that way.

Still, I come back as this site is really my only form of support and validation... .

Uhm... .DUDE... .I don't want to knock this site, it is amazing... .but really? Change this. NOW.

It will take time to develop your network of friends (and possibly family) who can support you. Look at the people around you, and try to spend time with the ones you respect the most. If you left close people behind when your partner pushed them away or persuaded you to do so, start repairing and rebuilding those relationships. Be there for good people. Be a little vulnerable and reach out, in small ways at first; that's how you build healthier relationships.

I honestly don't know how I would have managed to make it through when my wife started cheating a couple months ago if I hadn't had nearly a dozen people I could talk to. I reached out to various ones at different times. I got some support from every one of them. I honestly didn't know who would really rise to the occasion for me. Two of them REALLY did. They have helped me more than this community did!

Plant a few seeds now. You have no idea how soon you will discover that you are hanging on by a thread, and have to reach out. Or perhaps you will be the one reaching out with a lifeline for them.
waverider
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: married 8 yrs, together 16yrs

If YOU don't change, things will stay the same

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2014, 07:32:51 AM »

I've found that by helping guide others going through similar things I've managed to heal myself and cement my knowledge and skills.

This^^^^

Helping others reinforces and validates us the most. Especially if you try to reduce the the amount of "me too" responses, which can feed the self pity, which I think is what is concerning you.

Reality is shared and open to debate, feelings are individual and real
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest