Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 07:00:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things we can't ignore
What Does it Take to Be in a Relationship
Why We Struggle in Our Relationships
Is Your Relationship Breaking Down?
Codependency and Codependent Relationships
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: call or not to call  (Read 409 times)
4kidz

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Relationship status: married

« on: December 15, 2014, 09:35:12 AM »

Need some advice-  my uBPDw and I are in the midst of another period of dis association, painted black etc. We do go out 2 nights a week and have a good time. The other 5 days I barely see her due to her work schedule and social calendar. So heres my dilema- for the past month or so every effort to communicate have been initiated by me, mostly through phone calls sometimes via text. Unless I specifically ask her to call me I do not hear back from her. This behavior is the complete opposite of how she typically is. At this point do I hold back on the calls? I feel like I am chasing someone that may or may not want to be chased. Or do I continue calling and showing that I love her and am thinking about her. ? Would stopping the attempts to communicate feed the fire? Or perhaps awaken something within her to initiate a call to me? 
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

formflier
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 09:59:29 AM »

Tough one to answer... .I think we need more information.

Very general guidance:  Calling is ok... .just don't "chase".  So... .make plans... .call and invite her... and go on with your plans if she comes or not. 

Make sure you don't take the bait if she tries to provoke.

Again... I think a bit more info is needed.

How are you doing with being able to validate feelings?

4kidz

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 10:13:06 AM »

working like heck at validating. Problem is I get such limited responses to any dialogue I might start. Tough to validate when rarly being spoken too. One of the issues we have dealt with for years were her feelings that I never called enough or called to just say 'hello". I am trying very hard to work on some of the issues of our past. Me not getting frustrated and resentful at her for not responding is one of them... My heart says to continue showing love whether its reurned or not and keep reaching out. My ego says " I feel like a school kid chasing a crush". 
EaglesJuju
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 11:04:40 AM »

I was going through the same exact thing with my bf.  I agree with Formflier, do not chase her.  I sent him a few texts here and there to let him know I am still there for him and care. I did not call him every day and gave him the opportunity to call me.  I gave it a little bit of time.

I do not know the specifics of your situation, but I found that giving my pwBPD a little bit of space validated his needs when he was disassociating. 

"In order to take control of our lives and accomplish something of lasting value, sooner or later we need to Believe. We simply need to believe in the power that is within us, and use it." -Benjamin Hoff
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 11:11:13 AM »

working like heck at validating. Problem is I get such limited responses to any dialogue I might start. Tough to validate when rarly being spoken too. One of the issues we have dealt with for years were her feelings that I never called enough or called to just say 'hello". I am trying very hard to work on some of the issues of our past. Me not getting frustrated and resentful at her for not responding is one of them... My heart says to continue showing love whether its reurned or not and keep reaching out. My ego says " I feel like a school kid chasing a crush". 

Remember... .step 1 of validation is "don't invalidate"... .  if silence accomplishes that... .then you are ahead.

After that... validate what you can... .

Then... go on with your life... keep yourself strong... .openings will appear... you need to learn how to spot openings and use that for the benefit of your r/s

4kidz

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 11:23:31 AM »

thank you eagles/form...   fyi- I called earlier just to say hello, good morning, hope your days going well etc... left voicemail. received a text shortly thereafter- "hi... .hope ur having a great day... .njoy...   seems the more i reach out the further away she goes... Will take your advice about chasing... Thanks!  trying to keep myself strong. not the best
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 11:27:34 AM »

thank you eagles/form...   fyi- I called earlier just to say hello, good morning, hope your days going well etc... left voicemail. received a text shortly thereafter- "hi... .hope ur having a great day... .njoy...   seems the more i reach out the further away she goes... Will take your advice about chasing... Thanks!  trying to keep myself strong. not the best

Hey... I want to make sure we are not missing something here... .

So... .you left the voice mail... .and then you got a text back from her that you put in above.

Correct?

I'm not seeing how that is "further away"

I"ll hush and let you explain... .most likely I am missing something here.

4kidz

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2014, 11:48:15 AM »

yes. i left her a voicemail and she texted me back a little while later with the message I wrote. When i say further away its because she was never one to text. always told me how much she hated texting vs calling. Additionally wheneve I do see her at home she treats me like i barely exist. I f I dont go up to her she will not come to me to say hello or converse in any way... Maybe I am trying too hard? Being too sensitive?
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2014, 01:22:51 PM »

Being too sensitive?

Yes... .but... .let me rephrase this.

Don't take it personally.  This was a MASSIVE lightbulb moment from me... when I learned to not take things personally...  Not saying I'm perfect at it... .but I have made great strides.

The actions of your partner are not about you... .the actions are about their feelings.

Repeat that many... .many... many... .many... .times.

How will this change your outlook on the relationship?  

4kidz

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2014, 02:36:30 PM »

I agrere. In the past month or so within all the reading I have been doing I continually see the need to de personalize her emotions/outbursts. Easier said than done but I am definitely focusing on that... thanks!
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest