Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 23, 2024, 09:39:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Setting boundaries, will that make her come back one day?  (Read 371 times)
Issy

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: December 15, 2014, 10:14:30 AM »

Hi,

How much chance is there with setting firm boundaries she'll come back? She is now in silent treatment with me. I will have to take distance, but will tell her I'm here when she is willing to communicate in a loving and respectful way to me again.
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

maxsterling

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner
Relationship status: living together, engaged

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 10:42:04 AM »

Setting boundaries is necessary for you to maintain yourself and keep from being overrun in a dysfunctional relationship, whether it be this r/s, the next one, or relationships with your family.  Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do to make her come back.  What she decides to do with her life is completely up to her, and no matter how you change your behavior or attitudes, you can't force any kind of change in her.  I know how crushing that feels, because obviously you miss her and want her back - but I think that is the reality you must face.  About the best you can do is send a kind note her way that you care about her, and leave it at that. 

formflier
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 01:32:13 PM »

Can you describe the boundary use would like to use?

Issy

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 03:38:17 PM »

Can you describe the boundary use would like to use?

Well good you ask, because it's kind of new for me and I am not fully aware of my boundaries yet, but I think there have now been crossed (I've probably let it slip ): 3.

First one was I wasn't allowed to talk with her about crises we went through. (I've already adressed that to her, but without real consequences for her)

Second is she rages by using silent treatment (I've already adressed that to her, but without real consequences for her)

Third, she hurts me tremendously by sayings and actions on social media I'm trying to avoid but still get to me, for example it seems like I've been replaced or admitting to enjoy being crazy. (a.k.a. enjoying hurting me?)

I want to tell her I am hurt by seeing that stuff on social media and by her silent treatment and I wish to be heard, though I think I am just going to tell her the first reason (the social media thing) because that is what I am going to do, remove her from my social media accounts, so I don't have to see it anymore. I've held on for too long already, trying to avoid it and ignoring it but it hurts now so badly for the fifth time, I have to end this and this is hard for me, because I don't want to loose her at all.

So what do you think?

Thank you for your answers, much helpful
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 04:26:41 PM »

What is the difference in a boundary... .and a rule?

Issy

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 04:41:52 PM »

I know what that is, I've read a lot about that
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 05:01:48 PM »

I know what that is, I've read a lot about that

Good... then  work through your bigger post above... .and let us know what parts are boundaries that you will enforce... and what parts are rules... that you expect your partner to live by.

The difference is huge... .sometimes people get those a bit confused... .which is why I want to make sure that you have it right.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest