Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 23, 2024, 03:50:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Before you can make things better, you have to stop making them worse... Have you considered that being critical, judgmental, or invalidating toward the other parent, no matter what she or he just did will only make matters worse? Someone has to be do something. This means finding the motivation to stop making things worse, learning how to interrupt your own negative responses, body language, facial expressions, voice tone, and learning how to inhibit your urges to do things that you later realize are contributing to the tensions.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bad day yesterday  (Read 359 times)
7yearsdrained

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner
Relationship status: separated

« on: December 30, 2014, 01:21:41 PM »

Yesterday was a bad day. Quick background - my SO and I are seperated and have a D5. I myself have been situationally depressed for a long time and our separation is helping me. I am not working but have a sister who is supporting me right now and she removed any fear I might have by pointing out that she understands and trusts that I will get back on my feet. Not so much from SO. Yesterday my SO went on one of her blame storms via text messages to me mentioning that I am a terrible father to my daughter (which is not true - emotionally I am very good with her though I have not made money is a long time). I think her attack is that when she took our D5 out of state to see her parents for Christmas, I went to our old house and removed more of my things. I am sure that I am never going back but having read a lot of books/notes on how to act around a BPD - I think I crossed some boundaries after having gone a long time seemingly doing everything right. This interruption does not surprise me but I'm posting because I have no desire to do anything today. Some of it is physical, I did not get enough sleep last night. But some is that old feeling that I will never get back to the way my life used to be before getting involved with my SO. Everything shuts down and all I can do is go for a walk. I'm currently at the library and unable to get things I need to get done (have a presentation soon, turn of the new year).

I hope I'm posting this in the right area, it sounds more like my woes than about worries about my D5. But the whole reason for getting out of this relationship is so I can start to function and live and be a solid support for my D5. I am worried that my SO will start using her to get back at me. I have seen signs and am worried about a  full explosion once my SO realizes I'm not coming back.

I'm still moving forward, just need to share this and get some support. I get shocked at how the bottom of me drops out after her blame storm, it becomes difficult to determine if I am a trouble case or if my trouble is just from this unhealthy relationship. All become grey.

livednlearned
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 01:45:38 PM »

Hi 7yearsdrained,

You're in exactly the right place. Welcome to the coparenting board! A lot of members here suffer from depression, both clinical and situational is my guess. My therapist told me the other day that depression is often the other side of anxiety, which is a form of imagination. It's strange to think of anxiety as a form of imagination, but it is when you think about it. Your future feels uncertain, you have a sense of dread that things aren't going to go well, or be easy, and so you imagine the worst. Depressing! I'm glad your sister is in your life, supporting you and believing in you. And the economy appears to be picking up and gas prices are low, at least in the US.  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

You're in the darkest, deepest hardest part right now, and it might feel like everything is going to always be this way. But it won't. Going for a walk when you feel shut down is actually an excellent idea.

You probably won't get back to the old you, the way you were before you met your SO. My experience is that you can actually get even better. You're motivated to support your D5, and that can be an amazing journey. It got me to the best place I've ever been. I had to ask myself what it meant to raise an emotionally healthy child when one parent was mentally ill, and that took me to places that were both painful and healing.

N/BPDx turned out to be my greatest teacher.   Never in a million years did I ever think I would say that when I was in the darkness years ago.

Breathe.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest