Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 23, 2024, 11:40:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How should I handle this?  (Read 764 times)
EaglesJuju
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« on: January 07, 2015, 10:32:25 AM »

Since my bf left about 4 months ago, I have not received any pictures from him.  I asked him last night to text me a current picture.  When I saw it, I was completely shocked.  I did not recognize him. He looked like a completely different person. I never saw him look like that or want to look that before. I find the new "look" very odd. 

He kept asking me what I thought.  I told him that he looks different.  I did not know what to really say. Thankfully, it was late and I had to go to bed, so the conversation stopped. 

I can tell he wants to talk about this. He was really persistent and I know he has terrible self esteem.  I have no idea what to do. I do not want to lie nor do I want to trigger him.  It is kind of a no win situation.  Any advice on how to answer his questions?

"In order to take control of our lives and accomplish something of lasting value, sooner or later we need to Believe. We simply need to believe in the power that is within us, and use it." -Benjamin Hoff
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Rapt Reader
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: married

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 11:22:17 AM »

Well, you've got me curious, EaglesJuJu 

How is he different? New clothes? New hairstyle? Piercings? Lost or gained weight?

I guess if you are just looking to validate him and not hurt his feelings (and I concur with that, especially since he seems to approve of his own changes), you might just point out what you see, in a non-judgmental way? Acknowledge his "new look" and ask him how he feels about it? Then you would have a bit of a handle on how to react further? And more clues as to how to further validate?

I admit it will be tricky; at least you aren't doing this in person, so you can monitor your voice and words, without having to worry so much about your facial expressions and body language.

And if you think he wants to talk more about this, I would suggest letting him talk... .And just using non-judgmental questions to help him do that... .I'm sure it will be an interesting experience for you 

EaglesJuju
Retired Staff

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 11:41:51 AM »

Thanks for the reply RR.   Smiling (click to insert in post)

He is wearing a new style of clothes and glasses, very hipster like.  When he was here, he told me many times that he does not like that style and I agreed that I did not like it either. I think that is why I was so shocked. I think he is mirroring his brother.

That is what is going to make it so hard to validate him. 

He did gain a lot of weight. Honestly, that did not surprise me.  I know he tends to gain a lot of weight,

when he is very depressed. 

He looked really depressed in the pictures. His eyes looked dark, like there was no light or happiness. I never saw him look like this before.  Of course, my first instinct was to be a "fixer/helper," but I stopped myself.

I will let him talk about this but, I know he will be persistent with questions. I do not know how he will react if I ask him about the new "look."  In a way it seems like he wants me to say it is unattractive.

"In order to take control of our lives and accomplish something of lasting value, sooner or later we need to Believe. We simply need to believe in the power that is within us, and use it." -Benjamin Hoff
Rapt Reader
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 12:00:24 PM »

Don't forget that you don't need to validate that the changes are "good", just that he made the changes and that you see them. And then listen to his reasons why, and what he sees regarding them. You can validate all of that without passing judgment on them... .And if he seems to be looking for your disapproval, you can turn that around and see if he disapproves of them, and validate that for him (his own disapproval, not yours). If he mentions his depression, you can ask him about it and validate how he feels--let him know you understand and sympathize.

That's one way of doing it 

formflier
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 04:22:52 PM »

You can use the word interesting... .he may see through that.

Ask him how he feels... .if he says happy... then you can be happy for his changes...

EaglesJuju
Retired Staff

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2015, 10:55:14 AM »

You can use the word interesting... .he may see through that.

Ask him how he feels... .if he says happy... then you can be happy for his changes...

Thanks FF. I used the word interesting when he asked me again. As you said, he questioned what that meant. 

After I originally posted, I came out with it and told him that he looks a completely different person than when I last saw him.  He said, "I don't know maybe I am not who or what you remember me to be. I don't know the real me anymore and that's who I am trying to find and be." 

He diverted the topic and started talking about and making plans to visit me on Valentines Day weekend.

Then yesterday,he told me that he has been smoking weed everyday. I was shocked since, he used to have long discussions with me about how much he hates weed.

He did mention that he was unhappy and self conscious. I tried to validate him the best I could without lying.

I showed my therapist the before and after pictures to make sure I was not overreacting, and he was shocked too. He said he has never seen anything like that or did not know what to tell me. 

This is absolutely scary and confusing for me. I have no idea what to do. 

formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2015, 12:08:34 PM »

You can tell him it means you are amazed at his changes... .a truthful honest answer.

You need time to process it...

EaglesJuju
Retired Staff

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2015, 01:10:10 PM »

You can tell him it means you are amazed at his changes... .a truthful honest answer.

You need time to process it...

I am going to try saying that I am amazed. The way he is, he is going to ask me what that means too. As I said before, he is almost pushing me to say that I am not attracted to him anymore. He has told me many times, that he is a terrible person that deserves to be alone in his own misery and depression.

It is almost a no-win situation.

I do not know how to even begin to process this. My mind is filled with confusion, uncertainty, and fear.   

formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2015, 04:13:09 PM »

Tell him you are amazed and need time... .

Grey Kitty

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Separated

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2015, 07:02:27 PM »

I showed my therapist the before and after pictures to make sure I was not overreacting, and he was shocked too. He said he has never seen anything like that or did not know what to tell me. 

This is absolutely scary and confusing for me. I have no idea what to do. 

Back up a step here: You are worrying about how HE will feel about YOUR reaction to HIS new appearance.

Start with this... .what are you really feeling about him now? Does he seem to be changing into somebody you are more or less interested in/attracted to? Do you want to see him around Valentines day?

Sort out your own feelings first... .then worry about what you want to share and how he might react!
patientandclear

Relationship status: single

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2015, 09:02:41 PM »

To go along with the last post: what is your reaction to "maybe I am not who or what you remember me to be," and "I don't know the real me anymore?"

Even more than the appearance, those statements seem like unsettling (though honest) information.

My ex moved from our city 18 months ago. I saw him a few times after and he looked like I expected him to. But a few months after that, I saw online pics of him with his new gf. He looked really different. I could see how he was there but not there, if that makes sense. He probably was like that when he was here and we were together. But seeing him in this new context, I could see how apart from the scene he really was. Weird.

I came to see that he was almost always putting on an act to a greater or lesser degree. So unsettling to realize that.
EaglesJuju
Retired Staff

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2015, 06:14:15 AM »

Back up a step here: You are worrying about how HE will feel about YOUR reaction to HIS new appearance.

Start with this... .what are you really feeling about him now? Does he seem to be changing into somebody you are more or less interested in/attracted to? Do you want to see him around Valentines day?

Sort out your own feelings first... .then worry about what you want to share and how he might react!

He knows I am not thrilled about the weed smoking.

I am worried about upsetting him further.

I love him and that has not changed. He still has the same goals in life. He still wants to come back and continue our relationship. Everything else is the same.

I do want to see him on Valentines Day.  

I don't know if this new look is a phase or something he is doing to fit in.  

AnnaK

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2015, 06:32:08 AM »

When we resumed contact after 5 yrs, my then-ex was very peculiar showing his changes on webcam. Like: "Look - I got a tummy, and I lost some hairs... .look, right here!"

I reacted quite sincerely - "come on, man, main thing you are ALIVE!"

----

Besides I have a feeling that he does not want to know if you like changes - he wants to know if you still like HIM, regardless of those changes.
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2015, 09:16:33 AM »

Besides I have a feeling that he does not want to know if you like changes - he wants to know if you still like HIM, regardless of those changes.

I'm also thinking this is an opportunity for him to latch onto things that might sound "critical" and use those to create an argument.  Probably not a conscious strategy... .

patientandclear

Relationship status: single

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2015, 10:32:27 AM »

Still wondering about the "maybe I'm not who you think I am" comment. Assuming everything else is the same in the face of that seems like a big assumption.

If you see him next month Eagles, presumably you'll have a lot more information to use to assess what it meant. But that comment didn't come out of nowhere.
EaglesJuju
Retired Staff

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2015, 11:40:34 AM »

Still wondering about the "maybe I'm not who you think I am" comment. Assuming everything else is the same in the face of that seems like a big assumption.

If you see him next month Eagles, presumably you'll have a lot more information to use to assess what it meant. But that comment didn't come out of nowhere.

I am upset about the comment. It makes me question everything.  He texted me 2 pictures of us together after he sent pictures of the new look. I'm assuming the old pictures are where he wants to get back to?

I am not assuming everything else is the same. He tells me that he still wants to marry me.

formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2015, 11:55:21 AM »

He tells me that he still wants to marry me.

When does this happen?  In what context?

EaglesJuju
Retired Staff

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2015, 02:53:00 PM »

He tells me that he still wants to marry me.

When does this happen?  In what context?

FF, he says that everytime he talks to me. Sometimes he will bring it up out of nowhere.

formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2015, 02:56:05 PM »

[

FF, he says that everytime he talks to me. Sometimes he will bring it up out of nowhere.

Have you ever been engaged?  Sorry if I'm not remembering much of your story by asking... .

This seems odd.

I'm a bit old fashioned... .I didn't mention marriage until I proposed. 

My advice to my daughter would be to ask him to not bring it up until he is ready to propose... .but again... I'm old fashioned.

EaglesJuju
Retired Staff

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2015, 05:01:09 PM »

[

Have you ever been engaged?  Sorry if I'm not remembering much of your story by asking... .

This seems odd.

I'm a bit old fashioned... .I didn't mention marriage until I proposed. 

My advice to my daughter would be to ask him to not bring it up until he is ready to propose... .but again... I'm old fashioned.

He asked me when he was here.  We lived together for four years, so the conversation came up often. At the time, I decided it was best to wait for a couple of reasons.  Mainly, I told him I would accept if he would get the treatment that he needed.   

formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2015, 06:25:13 PM »

He asked me when he was here.  We lived together for four years, so the conversation came up often. At the time, I decided it was best to wait for a couple of reasons.  Mainly, I told him I would accept if he would get the treatment that he needed.   

How did he respond to the "conditional yes"?  Is that still on the table? 

EaglesJuju
Retired Staff

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2015, 07:43:20 PM »

How did he respond to the "conditional yes"?  Is that still on the table? 

He understood and agreed to it. He tried to get help here, but it was a horrible experience for him.     He decided it was in his best interest to work with a psychiatrist he had worked with for years prior to us meeting. In retrospect, it was a good decision for him to leave. 

He has not given me a specific date for returning, which is understandable.  I have been given a time frame of summer.  I have a few conditions on his return. Primarily, he needs to find a psychiatrist here. He said that is reasonable because, I do not deserve to deal with the "rollercoaster." He is very self aware of his issues.

After those conditions are met, then I will accept. 

braveSun

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2015, 10:10:41 PM »

After those conditions are met, then I will accept. 

Doing the right thing (click to insert in post) Eagles!... It looks like Valentine Day might be a bit early for a proposal than...
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2015, 07:02:20 AM »

He decided it was in his best interest to work with a psychiatrist he had worked with for years prior to us meeting. 

Will you be part of the decision that it is OK for him to come back... .or will you have to "take his word on it"?

When you guys were together how many things were decided by mutual agreement?  How many things were decided by one party and the other had to accept it... .or figure out on their own how to deal with it?

I'm asking because... .for me... .a lot of my marital happiness comes from being able to discuss something with my wife... .we each put out ideas... .and come to mutual agreement on the way forward.  Then we jointly get to evaluate... .enjoy... .whatever... the fruits of our work.

Well... .that sounded great as I typed it... .and that used to happen... .but as BPD traits have popped up in our r/s... the times where we came to mutual agreement have been few and far between.

In a way... .you have an advantage over me.  You are at the start of a possible marriage r/s and have lots of choices... .and have the ability to understand the impact of these BPD traits before committing to marriage.

If you have not been deliberate about addressing decision making... .I would highly recommend that.

How is the work with his P going?

EaglesJuju
Retired Staff

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2015, 02:33:13 PM »

Doing the right thing (click to insert in post) Eagles!... It looks like Valentine Day might be a bit early for a proposal than...

Haha, yes most definitely. 

EaglesJuju
Retired Staff

« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2015, 03:07:01 PM »

Will you be part of the decision that it is OK for him to come back... .or will you have to "take his word on it"?

It will be up to him to decide when he is ready. I cannot make that decision for him.  We have discussed the steps he needs to take to come back.  He wants to have a more detailed conversation when we meet up again. It is going to be a mutual agreement. 

When you guys were together how many things were decided by mutual agreement?  How many things were decided by one party and the other had to accept it... .or figure out on their own how to deal with it?

The way things were decided were based on a situation by situation basis. Before I was in therapy, I relied a lot on him to make decisions. A lot of that had to do with my DPD.   After I was going to therapy, I made many decisions. Overall, the "tougher" decisions were mutually agreed upon.  The only "tough" decision he made, was to leave. It was upsetting but, honestly for his own health and mine it was the best decision.   

How is the work with his P going?

He is getting better at learning to how to regulate his emotions.  He is crying less.  Also, he is getting better with the constant self-loathing. He has not had as many sessions as I thought he was having.  Apparently, the P has taken quite a few vacations with the holidays.

Honestly, some of the other problem behaviors have gotten worse. I think that has a lot to with the family constantly enabling him.  He is sleeping more than ever, was drinking heavily, and now is smoking weed.  I was furious when he told me.  I said something before about his drinking making matters worse. Apparently he stopped and now is smoking weed.  I was going to say something about the weed but, I decided to not bring it up at this time.

I am disappointed and sad.  I knew it was not going to be easy for him. He looks awful. The pictures really show how miserable he is.  My first instinct was to "help" or "fix," due to my codependency.  I have worked very hard in therapy to not be so co-dependent, so it would be counter productive for me to say anything. Although, I think it would benefit him if I said something to him.  The two family members he lives with are very immature and in a "partying" phase. 

Grey Kitty

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Separated

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2015, 06:52:52 PM »

I said something before about his drinking making matters worse. Apparently he stopped and now is smoking weed.  I was going to say something about the weed but, I decided to not bring it up at this time.

Doing the right thing (click to insert in post) Sounds like a good one not to bring up. First, you can't control him and don't even have much influence.

Second... .the risks from weed (getting busted aside) really do seem far lower than the risks from drinking.

Two things kinda go together here... .emotional health gives him less need to check out (with weed or whatever). Addiction-level substance consumption makes it harder to do the work needed for good emotional health... .they can spiral down together, or spiral up together.

Heck, I've got no substance abuse issues... .but I just had to cut myself off from games on my phone when I looked at how much time I'd blown on them over the last week. Mostly because I was kinda depressed and just wanted to check out and not experience my life, or deal with the tough choices in front of me. I still don't want to deal with the stuff... .but my life won't get better from me playing a game on my phone, nor will any other part of the world!

We all have ways of coping with the crap in our lives, and we try to find healthier ones. pwBPD or non. All of us.
EaglesJuju
Retired Staff

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2015, 08:09:55 AM »

Doing the right thing (click to insert in post) Sounds like a good one not to bring up. First, you can't control him and don't even have much influence.

The only reason why I was going to address this concern because, he has been nasty to me when he is high.

Last night he made it a point to tell me he was high. Then he started talking about weed smoking and then started getting hostile, almost looking for a reason to get into an argument. I changed the subject and he told me that he would talk to me at another time.

I am going to tell him that I do not want to speak to him while he is high.  

formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2015, 06:41:26 PM »

I am going to tell him that I do not want to speak to him while he is high.  

Do you want to be with someone that gets high? 

Is that the kind of person that you deserve?

EaglesJuju
Retired Staff

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2015, 07:11:51 PM »

Do you want to be with someone that gets high? 

Is that the kind of person that you deserve?

FF, no I do not want to be involved with someone who gets high.

According to him, he was a "pot head" in high school. When I met him, he told me how stupid it was and how smoking weed does not solve anything. Honestly, he is acting like an 18 year old who is finding themselves and "rebelling." I am viewing this as a phase he is going through.

I can tell he is ashamed of it because, he keeps bringing it up waiting for me to tell him how stupid it is. In my opinion, it is like a cry for help. He would never tell his parents about it. He wants me to tell him how he is messing up. I am not going to say anything at this time.  Although, I will speak to him about it when I see him.

I do not deserve to deal with this added crap. The weed makes him confrontational, hostile, and paranoid. The other behaviors are frustrating to cope with but, this exacerbates everything else. I am going to tell him that I refuse to talk to him when he is high.  He knows how I feel about it and he would never dare do it around me.     

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest