Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 18, 2024, 11:01:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things we can't ignore
What Does it Take to Be in a Relationship
Why We Struggle in Our Relationships
Is Your Relationship Breaking Down?
Codependency and Codependent Relationships
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are your concerns for your kids?  (Read 411 times)
Randi Kreger
DSA Recipient

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« on: January 13, 2015, 12:19:25 PM »

All parents with a BPD/npd spouse worry about the effect of the household situation on their children. I need to come up with some suggestions to help the parent help the kids at various ages. Could you share some of your experiences?Please start with saying the number and ages of your kids and if they are mutual kids or step kids. If there are no problems and your high conflict partner is great with the kids, you can just say so and leave it at that. 1) What are your children viewing between you and your high conflict (HC) spouse? Not stuff directed TO them, but what do they see and hear?2. What things does your HC spouse say or do to the children directly? How do your children respond? 3) Do you worry that your children will be permanently affected by any behaviors, and if so, what concerns you the most?4) Have you taken any steps to help the children, or do you feel helpless and not know what to do? What steps have you taken, and have they worked well, so-so or not at all? Are you afraid that saying things or taking steps will just make your partner angrier? 5) Have you ever tried to explain to the kids anything about mental illness or personality disorders, or in fact given any explanation for why their parent might be acting in this way? 6) Have you taken your children to seek professional help? Please list any other concerns. THANKS!

I had a borderline mother and narcissistic father.
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

ColdEthyl

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married 2 years

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 12:49:19 PM »

My children are from a previous marriage, ages 14 and 10. My S10 is Asperger's,

My dBPDh is, for the lack of a better term, un-involved. He does take my D14 to her after school activities, he does talk/joke with them, but all discipline is my responsibility, even if it is a simple reminder or short talking-to.

He doesn't want to be "the bad guy" or look bad in front of them. In 5 years, he hasn't dyregulated in front of the children at all, but they have been woken up 2-3 times.

What I have told my children about him is the truth. The "truth" was a bit different to each child... .more tailored to their age. My S10 thinks very black/white, so all I really have said to him is that he suffers from an emotional condition so his emotions are sometimes irrational and all over the place. What I told my D14  is more of what BPD is and its effects. I also explained to both of them about anxiety issues, so sometimes he won't go with us to places because of it.

My children are a bit more capable of dealing with this sort of situation. Their uncle is paranoid schizophrenic, so they already have acclimated to that. We talk about mental illness and what it does and can do, and they know if they have any questions they can always ask.
vortex of confusion

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 02:02:14 PM »

We have 4 daughters together. Ages 6, 7, 10, 13.

1) What are your children viewing between you and your high conflict (HC) spouse? Not stuff directed TO them, but what do they see and hear?

They see and hear us arguing and bickering. They see me doing the lion's share of the work around the house. They see dad spending lots of time on the computer. They see me get frustrated with feeling like I don't have much help around the house. They have made comments about how my husband and I interact but they have also experienced how difficult it is to try to communicate with him.

Excerpt
2. What things does your HC spouse say or do to the children directly? How do your children respond?

This one is difficult to describe. For the longest time, he was checked out and would spend most of his time on his computer games. On evenings when I work, the girls usually report that he spent most of the evening on his games. Sometimes he talks to them without any problems. Other times, he gets kind of snappy and defensive. The girls sometimes respond in very disrespectful ways. A lot of times, they circumvent him and come get me, which means that most of the kid stuff is on me.

He is very invalidating towards the kids. There have been instances where they will say something tastes funny and he will argue with them. In one case, the milk had gone bad and he wanted to argue about it. Lots of little stuff like that. And, the kids don't really trust him. They have made comments to me and when dad isn't around that show that they have little or no respect for him.

There was a period of time when my husband said stuff about suicide around the kids. They have seen him stomp off and pout like a little kid. They have commented about his childishness. They have asked me why he doesn't act like a dad. At times, he acts more like a sibling than a parent.

Excerpt
3) Do you worry that your children will be permanently affected by any behaviors, and if so, what concerns you the most?

Yes, I have a lot of worries about this. I worry that they will have a distorted view of relationships. I worry that they will pick up some of the behaviors. I am already seeing this to some degree as a couple of the girls have lots of anxiety. The girls seem to be a lot less anxious when he isn't around. I am seeing low self esteem in the oldest. Not sure if that is related to husband's behaviors or whether it is an age thing. I know that my oldest has expressed that she doesn't feel important and that she doesn't always feel like her dad loves her.

Excerpt
4) Have you taken any steps to help the children, or do you feel helpless and not know what to do? What steps have you taken, and have they worked well, so-so or not at all? Are you afraid that saying things or taking steps will just make your partner angrier?

My approach has changed significantly over time. When I had no idea about BPD or anything else, I was looking at things from a completely different angle. When the girls would express negativity about dad, I would essentially invalidate them and try to help them see the good things about dad. That made things worse so I did a bunch of reading and research. In the last couple of years, especially since finding this site, I validate what they have to say and I have tried to apply more consistent standards. I have tried to approach things as, "I don't want to see anybody throwing fits." so that I am not singling anybody out but I am also trying to hold dad to the same set of standards that the kids are being held to with regards to politeness, fit throwing, etc.

I feel like the kids are pretty savvy when it comes to dealing with dad. One of the kids makes it a point to try to build him up. She jokes that it is butt kissing and that she feels sorry for dad and wants to make him feel better about himself. Another daughter tries to avoid him. Each of the kids seems to have her own coping mechanism. I have talked to my oldest about dad's mental health problems but I haven't mentioned it to the younger kids. It is more of a case of "this is how dad is" and we try to find ways to work around it.

Excerpt
5) Have you ever tried to explain to the kids anything about mental illness or personality disorders, or in fact given any explanation for why their parent might be acting in this way?

I have talked to my kids about mental illness because I have a lot of mental illness in my family. They have seen people in my FOO behave rather strangely and I have talked about how their brains don't always function properly. With my oldest daughter, we have had a lot of discussions about this sort of stuff. The younger kids don't seem to want an explanation. There concern is more about how to deal with dad.

Excerpt
6) Have you taken your children to seek professional help?

Not yet! I would like for the girls and I to seek professional help together with or without dad. I think it would have t initially be without him because they do not feel comfortable opening up when he is around.
z 7873

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 02:20:57 PM »

Older stepson (hers), two mid teenage boys (ours)

1) What are your children viewing between you and your high conflict (HC) spouse?

They see emotional and heated arguments that can get loud and can last for hours. They hear BPD mom say very nasty, accusatory things which are often highly exaggerated or fabricated.

2. What things does your HC spouse say or do to the children directly? How do your children respond?

HC wife tries to minimize things afterwards and downplay. They are usually worn out and not interested.

3) Do you worry that your children will be permanently affected by any behaviors, and if so, what concerns you the most?

My older stepson thinks I am evil incarnate and my older son also has major problems with me. This is due to absorbing caustic crossfire and assuming that if mom is crying her eyes out then dad must be very cruel to mom. Thankfully my younger son has a more balanced view.

4) Have you taken any steps to help the children, or do you feel helpless and not know what to do? What steps have you taken, and have they worked well, so-so or not at all? Are you afraid that saying things or taking steps will just make your partner angrier?

I feel helpless, because I had blinders on about how the kids would judge me based on the behavior of BPD mom. Much damage has been done and I don't know how to fix anything besides building trust gradually.

5) Have you ever tried to explain to the kids anything about mental illness or personality disorders, or in fact given any explanation for why their parent might be acting in this way?

I have tried to gently put mom's behavior in context of her having difficulty coping but I don't think it has mattered.

6) Have you taken your children to seek professional help?

Older teenage son has a regular therapist. Also has aspergers so needs help for multiple issues.
enlighten me

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 02:37:40 PM »

I have three boys from my two uBPD exs.

The eldest are 13 and 11. These are from my exwife who is a waif type and ticks all nine of the dsm criteria for BPD.

my youngest is twenty months old and is with my uBPDexgf. She is a queen type.

my exw has remarried and her new husband has some sort of PD.  My boys walk on eggshells with him as he will fly off the handle over the slightest thing. My eldest gets most of it as he wont back down when he feels it is unjust. He has started playing up with his mum as he feels she never sticks up for him. His brother lets things wash over him so isnt as affected.

My exgf is an over protective mother. She describes herself as a lioness when it comes to her kids. I wasnt even allowed to bayh my son until he was six months old. She has a temper which I have seen directed at her kids from previous relationships. They are ten and eight. When she tells them off she panicks so buy them things to make up for it.

Both my exs use the kids for their own benefit. Trying to guilt me for more money or to change access dates to suit them.

Honestly there is so much I dont really know where to start.

I worry that my eldest will have a lot of issues. He also has renal failure so has had a lot to deal with on top of the divorce, moving, step dad and mum not being there for him when needed.

I want to get him to see a counseler but he doesnt like the idea. I have spoken about BPD to him as we have discussed my exgf and her behaviour.

My youngest I worry about as his sister (10) shows a lot of BPD traits. Also my ex isnt a very good role model as she told her daughter she had another boyfriend while we were still together. I came home from working away for her daughter to anounce. Mummy has a new boyfriend. I dont want him growing up thinking it is acceptable to lie and cgeat to someone you supposedly love.

My best advice is to never bad mouth your ex to the kids. Provide stability and boundaries and be as honest as you can with them. There are things that arent suitable to tell them so avoid them if possible.

Another thought is both my exs emotionally black mail the kids. Mummy will miss you so much if you go to daddys. Mummy loves you so much. Mummy this and mummy that. Whilst the statements and sentiment arent wrong it is the timing of them that is upsetting. My eldest wanted to live with me after his step dad raged at him. He was adamant about it and we had discussed schooling. Two emotional blackmail phone calls later and he was going home. What was a happy boy had turned into a scared and confused boy.

I will add more but on a mobile so I cant rememver the questions.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest