Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 29, 2024, 08:39:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
VIDEO: "What is parental alienation?" Parental alienation is when a parent allows a child to participate or hear them degrade the other parent. This is not uncommon in divorces and the children often adjust. In severe cases, however, it can be devastating to the child. This video provides a helpful overview.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dealing with Passive Aggressive interaction this morning... I think need advice  (Read 1025 times)
vortex of confusion

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2015, 02:20:30 PM »

Is this really about the kids, or her inability to tell you what she wants?

My wife does the same thing with not giving clear answers. She will avoid making decisions, eventually leaving me to make the decision for her. That way she has no culpability if it is the wrong choice.

So much good stuff in this thread. I have the same struggles with my husband. Last night, he approached me about something and asked my opinion. I told him something along the lines of, "I can't make that decision for you." He then went on to say that he wanted my opinion. I told him that I didn't even want to do that. I gave him some questions to think about when making his decision but it was HIS decision, not mine. That felt really good to do.

Also, I wanted to make a comment about the family dinner stuff. I have some of the same struggles. Over the holidays, I told my husband that I would like to have at least ONE major outing as a whole family. It didn't happen because "stuff" kept coming up whether it was the weather, altered sleep schedules, or something else. One of the things that I have been wanting is to do more stuff as a family outside of the house. I have talked about this until I am blue in the face. It isn't anything new. So, who's "fault" is it? Is it my fault for asking for the same thing yet expecting a different result? Or, is it his fault for agreeing to do something but not following through? Since I can't change HIS behavior, then it makes sense for me to find different ways to get my need for going out as a family met.

I completely understand the desire to have a family dinner. I try to have sit down family dinners once a week at least. I know that having a sit down dinner for all 6 of us requires a lot of work and effort on my part. I have to plan the meal, make sure the table is cleared of everything, and make sure that there are enough clean dishes to have a place setting for everyone. On top of that, I have to make sure that there are clean serving bowls and serving spoons available. And, I have to make sure that ALL of the kids know that I expect them to stop what they are doing and come to the table. It takes a lot of effort. I am bringing all of this up because it might help FF get some ideas. A lot of the time, I pull off a family dinner by having ready and on/at the table when my husband walks in the door from work in the evening. However, when he is here, it would be nice if he would offer to clean off the table or set the table.

Also, something that I have done is get take out and have everyone sit at the table and eat together. I am thinking out loud here. I wonder if you could get take out, call your wife and say, hey, set the table, I am bringing home dinner. Find ways to sweeten the pot a bit.  Smiling (click to insert in post)

Something I was wondering about in relation to the morning time conversation is "what are the wife's usual patterns?" I ask this because I know that there are certain times of day, such as morning time, when I don't bring up anything at all because that is when something completely mundane can set him off into grumpy/silent/whatever mode. Looking at patterns of behavior to get a better idea of when to bring up certain things plays really well to my logical side.

maxsterling

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner
Relationship status: living together, engaged

« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2015, 02:41:18 PM »

Interesting development!  I think this goes along with a phenomenon I have noticed:  Plant the seed about something - she dysregulates - she comes back later and eventually is able to discuss the issue and makes a decision.  Do you think that is what happened here?

Cole

« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2015, 03:24:39 PM »

Interesting development!  I think this goes along with a phenomenon I have noticed:  Plant the seed about something - she dysregulates - she comes back later and eventually is able to discuss the issue and makes a decision.  Do you think that is what happened here?

Yes, good observation. BPDw tends to have an immediate, over-emotional response, calms down, feels guilty about the way she acted, then can respond in a less emotional fashion. I expect that is something many of us see in common.
Cole

« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2015, 03:30:02 PM »

Do want to mention this plays into the post formflier asked me to put up last week about decision making. https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=240055.msg12553360#msg12553360

This is something I have used to help her learn to make her own decisions instead of relying on me to do so for her. So far it is helping, though I would not use it for r/s issues. Leave those for a T or MC.
Notwendy

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2015, 03:39:37 PM »

Great posts all of them. Glad you had a moment of happiness FF.
formflier
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2015, 04:25:06 PM »

Quite possibly... .I'm obviously pleased... .but there is also the curious side of me that wants to "understand"... .so we can do this again in the future...

formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2015, 04:34:10 PM »

VOC,

family dinner stuff:

Reasons it didn't happen were not because of effort... .wife sent 1 or 2 over here this evening... .I found out after the fact.

I expressed concern about no family dinner... .what is the worry... plenty of time.

Next night... .others are invited over... .again... .I get no cut on this... .express concern... .promises it will happen... .don't worry.

Then... .she skipped it one or two nights because she was pissed over something and went so sulk... .or... possibly did me a favor by skipping a dysreg... .again... .will not know.

Then there was some sickness... so they weren't there.

Then she realizes there are only a couple days left... lots to do... people get invited over... .her family...

and then oldest goes back to school.

She then announced it was no big deal that "my part of deal" didn't get done... I shouldn't worry about it.

At one point I asked if the tables were turned if she would feel same way... .if there had been tons of family dinners but kids were allowed to go to her parents.

She turned and walked away... .

So... .trying to draw a picture for you guys.  But also... .to say... .it's not the "mechanics" of dinner that were the problem.  She kicks a$$ as a cook... .I help... kids help... .big productions get put on almost nightly.

Hey... .if we are not all there... .there can still be 8 or so at table...

My gut... my guess is that there is some PA type thing going on where she is going to make sure that what I clearly wanted... .doesn't happen... .so I pitch a fit an argue.

Except... .I'm calmly prodding and this and shining light on an uncomfortable thing.

I would have had more success (I think)... .if I had asked about family dinners an hour or two ahead of time... .or tried to make it seem like her idea.

But... .I've chosen and decided that I don't want to live like that... .eventually I would like to get to the place where we can be clear about what we want... .and work towards that.

Thoughts?

Notwendy

« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2015, 04:51:27 PM »

I have to say I am pretty impressed at someone who cooks a dinner for 10 and does it well.

How invested is your wife in the family dinner? What is the input of her family? She may feel she has to please them too. If it is a dysfunctional family they may not respect the boundary of family dinner means us, not you.

Back to the school project- the one who wants the higher grade usually takes charge. If you are more invested in the event than your wife, you may have to make extra effort to make it happen. Plan earlier, say no to outside invitations. Help he set that boundary if she has trouble. It could be more about that than anything about you. Maybe your wife needs you to take on some aspect of it to make it happen even if she is a great cook.

Notwendy

« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2015, 04:59:31 PM »

Something else about standards. My H has high expectations of himself. He usually succeeds, but if he misses the high standard, he gets very down on himself. His dad was very critical of him. Probably for the same reason. He wasn't perfect but expected himself to be, and also his son. He was very proud of my H but almost never affirmed him.

H also has those same high standards of others, and they are always letting him down. At some point, I felt that I was held to impossible standards too. If I was not the always happy, always available, always loving wife, then he was disappointed. It is pretty hard to know that the bar is so high, you can't meet it. My husband accuses me of doing that to him. That's projection. Nobody is perfect. Part of recovery for me is knowing I don't have to be and that is OK. I do the best I can.

Is is possible that your wife feels that if she doesn't meet your expectations that she is somehow failing you? Maybe some parts of this are hard for her, like saying "no' to her family.
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2015, 05:14:00 PM »

Family time for her family and mine (me) are very different.

For them... .they get together to watch tv.

Bonding means sitting around arguing about which show to watch next... .and while watching TV... you have phones and laptops out... and 2 or three conversations going on at once.

Plus people griping about they can't hear the TV... turn it up... .which means conversation people get louder... .

Grab food and eat in living room

There is not a dining room table at her parents house... .but there is a stupid big TV.

Hint... I don't watch much TV.   I participate with them in their stuff... I expect reciprocation.

Me "helping" her say no... .is a pipe dream right now... .I would love that. 

When we do have family dinners... .and put away phones and sit around and "just" talk to each other... .she has a good time... at least says she does.

Sometimes we break out uno cards or do games at the table... (that's "her stuff)... .I like it ok... .but find it distracting.

I'm a conversation guy... .I like to talk... .but... .I give people my attention... .I expect reciprocation.

I'm fine with some conversations with my wife... when she has facebook open or whatever.  (I don't have facebook)

But... again... there needs to be balance.

Sometimes I want to take my wife on a date... .not her phone with facebook on it.

vortex of confusion

« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2015, 05:22:12 PM »

My gut... my guess is that there is some PA type thing going on where she is going to make sure that what I clearly wanted... .doesn't happen... .so I pitch a fit an argue.

Except... .I'm calmly prodding and this and shining light on an uncomfortable thing.

Question: What do you think is her reason for making sure that you don't get what you clearly wanted? Do you think that she is deliberately trying to sabatoge things?

I ask myself that all of the time because, for me, it feels too personal when I focus on it being some kind of PA type thing meant to get me going. In my husband's case, I think he is just that self centered. He isn't trying to get me to argue. He isn't trying to make sure that what I clearly want isn't happening. He is simply not thinking that far in advance. From where I sit and from the conversations that we have had, it seems to me that he has a difficult time thinking more than a few minutes ahead of time unless it is something that pertains directly to him.

Excerpt
I would have had more success (I think)... .if I had asked about family dinners an hour or two ahead of time... .or tried to make it seem like her idea.

If it is something that is really important to me, I do have to give him reminders just like I would the kids. Stuff like, "Hey, I thought we were going to do X. I know how excited you are about it." An example is when I found a train show to go to as a family outing. I know he loves trains so I planted the seed and reminded him how much he loves trains and how much fun we have had at train shows in the past. And then he latched onto it and it became all about him. I got what I wanted and so did he. It became win-win.

Excerpt
But... .I've chosen and decided that I don't want to live like that... .eventually I would like to get to the place where we can be clear about what we want... .and work towards that.

Hmmm... .that is a bit more difficult. I feel like I am pretty clear on some of the things that I want and it sounds like you are pretty clear about some of the things you want, especially stuff that is pretty logical and easy to set down in concrete terms. The problems that I have are 1. Getting my husband to not only hear what I want but act on it. and 2. Getting my husband to clearly communicate what he wants and be consistent.

I am interested in hearing more on this.
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2015, 05:28:44 PM »

VOC,

past patterns:  Before I new about BPD.  We would agree... .plan would change... I would pitch fit.  She would be "shocked" that I "attacked" her.

I would wonder... .why ask me in first place... .why agree... .why make plans... .if you were going to change at last minute and not consider me.

If it happens once or twice... .that's life.

If our "rate" of agreements actually happening is about 10-20%... .and my "rate" of providing what I agree to my wife is around 80-90.  That is unbalanced.

Now... .even funnier... .imagine pre-BPD me showing that calculation in MC with a pastor.  Somehow I was the a$$hole because I did an accurate calculation that invalidated that my wife "always" kept her word.  I chuckle when I think back on this.

Maybe I should rephrase my long term goal... .I want to change the pattern.  I don't want perfection.

Most of the time... .things need to come true... .that is the future I am going towards...

vortex of confusion

« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2015, 06:47:53 PM »

past patterns:  Before I new about BPD.  We would agree... .plan would change... I would pitch fit.  She would be "shocked" that I "attacked" her.

I would wonder... .why ask me in first place... .why agree... .why make plans... .if you were going to change at last minute and not consider me.

Hmmm. . .okay, I think I understand a little better. You have changed the dance by not reacting but she hasn't changed her side of things yet.

Excerpt
If our "rate" of agreements actually happening is about 10-20%... .and my "rate" of providing what I agree to my wife is around 80-90.  That is unbalanced.

Now... .even funnier... .imagine pre-BPD me showing that calculation in MC with a pastor.  Somehow I was the a$$hole because I did an accurate calculation that invalidated that my wife "always" kept her word.  I chuckle when I think back on this.

Maybe I should rephrase my long term goal... .I want to change the pattern.  I don't want perfection.

Most of the time... .things need to come true... .that is the future I am going towards...

I think I understand what you are getting at. It is something that I have been trying to figure out but I keep coming back to the question of: How can I set goals that involve another person if the other person is reluctant or, in my case, seems completely clueless. In my case, I don't want perfection but I would like a little better than what it is now. How can I get there with or without the participation of the other party?

Maybe focus on being more patient? I don't know. That is a thought that I have been having a lot lately. Yes, my husband is showing slight improvement in some areas but there are still lots of little things to be worked on. Am I being patient enough? There are days when I feel like, "I want things fixed and I want them fixed NOW. I have been patient for 16 years. How much more patient do I have to be?" I have to remind myself that I have only known about BPD for maybe 6 months, if that. How much damage did I do before finding out about it because I was shooting in the dark with one hand tied behind my back? Not only do I have to figure out how to not JADE and validate and all that stuff but I feel like I have to do a little bit of damage control on top of it because of the stupid stuff that I said and did because I thought I was dealing with a "normal" person.
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2015, 07:21:02 PM »

How much damage did I do before finding out about it because I was shooting in the dark with one hand tied behind my back? 

This was me... .my "logic" invalidated her... .BIGTIME.

I honestly thought... .that if she was wrong... .she would want to know it... .so I would "prove it".

Again... .I chuckle.

For newbies reading this... .many people that are "untrained" in the ways of dealing with pwBPD... .will react in a way that looks like they are "running to what is natural for them... "

So... I used less emotion and more logic.  That is the "natural  me".  Unfortunately it was a perfect storm... .because I made her worse.  Didn't mean to... .but I have a huge part in this.

So... .goes to figure that I should have huge part in unraveling it

Jack_50

« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2015, 01:59:16 AM »

If our "rate" of agreements actually happening is about 10-20%... .and my "rate" of providing what I agree to my wife is around 80-90.  That is unbalanced.

She has become used to you providing most of your side, and relies on it.  She has seen that you do your part, even if she does not keep her side of the deal.  In that sense, you are actually enforcing her behavior.  She's quite comfortable with this situation, and has no incentive to change.

If I may ask : can you give an example of how you discussed this issue in the past?

Jack
Notwendy

« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2015, 05:05:52 AM »

My H is from a military family and maybe that's where the use of logic in an argument to win style comes from, but I never encountered it before until we were married and my H used it. At first, he sounded so correct and logical that I bought into it. It seemed more reasonable than the emotional soup that my family swam in. However, it did errode that soft emotional side to me that my H actually liked- as it was what was missing in his stoic critical family. You say it destroyed your wife- it did me too- not my spirit or soul, but the part of me that could be vulnerable and open to him, and eventually my sense of self. Being a people pleaser and co-dependent, I wanted to make my H happy, but it seemed that every attempt was met with invalidation, criticism, and if I tried to explain, (JADE) that made it worse and it resulted in a logical critical argument- that he always won because this is not something I did or was familiar with and he was so good at it.

I would just cry and give in, tell him he was right, but sometimes this made it worse. Only recently was I able to not take it personally and really listen. It's an argument based on how he feels, so it isn't based on reality. The logic makes it sound so. But his last one about me made no sense at all, and he brought in all kinds of things from the past to logically justify it as well as well as blamed me for something I had nothing to do with. This was illusion dressed up in logic.

In the early years of my marriage, I was willing to believe him. I took on all the care of the home and kids as well as a part time job, but eventually, one day, I just started crying and it didn't stop. In the beginning, when he argued with me like this, I would cry, and he'd ridicule that. He said it was best to be logical and so I tried to be that. I had never been depressed before, but I was. I remember telling him and he didn't even notice at first,  but I went on to T and this was the first step of the recovery process for me, but it took years to crawl out of that space. (on going). Eventually, he did catch on that something was amiss and tried to make some strides, but it was hard to sustain them.

Author Patricia Evans addresses the argument style of "arguing to win" in her books on verbal abuse. This doesn't mean that everyone who uses this is an abuser, but when mixed with verbal abuse it is pretty damaging and that's what this was. There's another argument style that isn't really an argument, but it is an exchange of feelings with the assumption that the two people are on the same side- no winner, no loser, just us. This is the position from which I approached my H to help resolve something. However, he saw it as a personal attack and a battle that he must win.

Notwendy

« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2015, 05:52:34 AM »

I see where having a critical tough ( verbally abusive I think ) father, who had a strictly traditional marriage ( wife basically waited on him) set the idea of a male role model and doing anything that his dad didn't do was a threat to his idea of being a man. Someone with a stronger sense of self would recognize that doing the dishes doesn't obliterate a male identity. That was something I would point out - I am sure that was hurtful, but I didn't get it. I could take out the trash, fix something in the house, and it didn't turn me into a man.

I get the ratio of their doing less to the nons doing more, but it is so wierd to me that I don't understand it. If we are a home and a team, then it needs to be done no matter who does it. There is some wierd measurement going on that I observed. He may help, but always less. He would put the kids to bed but it would always have to be less often than I did. There were some things he would agree to do but only if I "helped", which he didn't really need. He would empty the trash cans in the house, but I had to hold the trash bag- but I did this job alone all the time. He used to take the trash cans out to the curb, but one day, he decided I had to help. I was busy, and told him I couldn't. He pitched a fit and then said that I had told him I would take it on as a job (huh? I didn't say that). So I just said forget it and did it. Then he pointed out that I was in a huff over nothing. Now, I just do it when he's at work. It's not a battle I want to pursue.

Jack mentioned a man needs to unwind after work and not be given a list of tasks. I can promise that there was never a time where I would give him a list. Asking for one thing would result in such a meltdown, it was better not to ask at all. There was a time when he would come home from work, and I would put a plate of food in front of him, and leave the room. This was when I was depressed and it was all I could manage to deal with. He could eat, unwind all he wanted. This doesn't happen now and we do eat together and interact.

I suspect the underlying wish was for me to take it on, since he had to go to work early and it was an inconvenience to take them out on trash day. I would have been willing to do it if he just said that. But then there was the mess of asking me for something, and giving up a "man" job, and feeling bad about not taking on a job he thought I could do.

My mom has this strange thing with tasks too. Once she wanted one of the kids to do something and they were busy, so I said I would do it. She got upset and said " I want (kid) to do it". I realized what she wanted wasn't just the job being done, but something about this child doing something for her.

I just don't spend time and energy dealing with this stuff. Some things have to be done. Early on in our marriage, H announced that he will never make the bed, but I like clean sheets and so, I make it for me. He said he wasn't going to change diapers. ( he did on occasion ) but I was not about to let the baby sit in a dirty diaper, so I did it. It was easier than fighting.

It took co dependency programs to get me to see where I enabled the behavior I resented.
Jack_50

« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2015, 06:41:54 AM »

My H is from a military family and maybe that's where the use of logic in an argument to win style comes from, but I never encountered it before until we were married and my H used it. At first, he sounded so correct and logical that I bought into it. It seemed more reasonable than the emotional soup that my family swam in. However, it did errode that soft emotional side to me that my H actually liked- as it was what was missing in his stoic critical family. You say it destroyed your wife- it did me too- not my spirit or soul, but the part of me that could be vulnerable and open to him, and eventually my sense of self. Being a people pleaser and co-dependent, I wanted to make my H happy, but it seemed that every attempt was met with invalidation, criticism, and if I tried to explain, (JADE) that made it worse and it resulted in a logical critical argument- that he always won because this is not something I did or was familiar with and he was so good at it.

I would just cry and give in, tell him he was right, but sometimes this made it worse. Only recently was I able to not take it personally and really listen. It's an argument based on how he feels, so it isn't based on reality. The logic makes it sound so. But his last one about me made no sense at all, and he brought in all kinds of things from the past to logically justify it as well as well as blamed me for something I had nothing to do with. This was illusion dressed up in logic.

In the early years of my marriage, I was willing to believe him. I took on all the care of the home and kids as well as a part time job, but eventually, one day, I just started crying and it didn't stop. In the beginning, when he argued with me like this, I would cry, and he'd ridicule that. He said it was best to be logical and so I tried to be that. I had never been depressed before, but I was. I remember telling him and he didn't even notice at first,  but I went on to T and this was the first step of the recovery process for me, but it took years to crawl out of that space. (on going). Eventually, he did catch on that something was amiss and tried to make some strides, but it was hard to sustain them.

Author Patricia Evans addresses the argument style of "arguing to win" in her books on verbal abuse. This doesn't mean that everyone who uses this is an abuser, but when mixed with verbal abuse it is pretty damaging and that's what this was. There's another argument style that isn't really an argument, but it is an exchange of feelings with the assumption that the two people are on the same side- no winner, no loser, just us. This is the position from which I approached my H to help resolve something. However, he saw it as a personal attack and a battle that he must win.

NotWendy,

Great info, thank you.

Opposites attract initially, out of curiosity, but on the longer term the differences do create problems.  You need emotional connection to someone, while he needs life to be only practical.

Boys are shamed consistently for showing emotions, so they turn away from them, and only focus on the practical aspect of life.  And voila, over time you get logical, non-emotional adult men.

In that context, most men see any issue that comes to them as a problem that needs a solution, and don't even think about seeing it otherwise.  I think that it comes from the need to provide and protect their family members, and make sure they are all right (=have no unresolved issues).  Most men see that as their primary role, and specialize in it (too much), and become very solution-driven.  At his core, a man needs to be needed, he wants to be useful, have a purpose, and thus he goes for the fixer role.

And logical, unemotional fixers do not match well with people who need regular emotional connection; they live in a different world with different laws, so to speak.

I know I'm often still having trouble with recognizing that sometimes these "issues" are just my wife trying to fish for my support, coming from a need to connect to me.  There's not necessarily anything for me to solve there, but my fixer-habit is often quicker than my emotional reasoning, and I get down the fixer path before I know it.

But when I do take time to evaluate, and I understand it the way she meant it, it usually ends with 2 people walking hand in hand towards the sunset, so to speak.

Still a lot to learn... .

Jack
Jack_50

« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2015, 07:28:10 AM »

I see where having a critical tough ( verbally abusive I think ) father, who had a strictly traditional marriage ( wife basically waited on him) set the idea of a male role model and doing anything that his dad didn't do was a threat to his idea of being a man. Someone with a stronger sense of self would recognize that doing the dishes doesn't obliterate a male identity. That was something I would point out - I am sure that was hurtful, but I didn't get it. I could take out the trash, fix something in the house, and it didn't turn me into a man.

I get the ratio of their doing less to the nons doing more, but it is so wierd to me that I don't understand it. If we are a home and a team, then it needs to be done no matter who does it. There is some wierd measurement going on that I observed. He may help, but always less. He would put the kids to bed but it would always have to be less often than I did. There were some things he would agree to do but only if I "helped", which he didn't really need. He would empty the trash cans in the house, but I had to hold the trash bag- but I did this job alone all the time. He used to take the trash cans out to the curb, but one day, he decided I had to help. I was busy, and told him I couldn't. He pitched a fit and then said that I had told him I would take it on as a job (huh? I didn't say that). So I just said forget it and did it. Then he pointed out that I was in a huff over nothing. Now, I just do it when he's at work. It's not a battle I want to pursue.

Jack mentioned a man needs to unwind after work and not be given a list of tasks. I can promise that there was never a time where I would give him a list. Asking for one thing would result in such a meltdown, it was better not to ask at all. There was a time when he would come home from work, and I would put a plate of food in front of him, and leave the room. This was when I was depressed and it was all I could manage to deal with. He could eat, unwind all he wanted. This doesn't happen now and we do eat together and interact.

I suspect the underlying wish was for me to take it on, since he had to go to work early and it was an inconvenience to take them out on trash day. I would have been willing to do it if he just said that. But then there was the mess of asking me for something, and giving up a "man" job, and feeling bad about not taking on a job he thought I could do.

My mom has this strange thing with tasks too. Once she wanted one of the kids to do something and they were busy, so I said I would do it. She got upset and said " I want (kid) to do it". I realized what she wanted wasn't just the job being done, but something about this child doing something for her.

I just don't spend time and energy dealing with this stuff. Some things have to be done. Early on in our marriage, H announced that he will never make the bed, but I like clean sheets and so, I make it for me. He said he wasn't going to change diapers. ( he did on occasion ) but I was not about to let the baby sit in a dirty diaper, so I did it. It was easier than fighting.

It took co dependency programs to get me to see where I enabled the behavior I resented.

Most men feel clumsy doing home chores, and that's why they don't like them.  Our dads often did not do them, so we did not get a role model in that sense, nor any experience in doing them.  

Deep inside, we actually want to be our wife's hero, which means we certainly do not want to look like an idiot who doesn't know how to do house chores while she watches.  And unfortunately our wife's supportive advice is taken in this context as belittling, and frustrates us.  In the end, it's our pride that is at play here.  And that's hard to let go of when you strive for hero-dom.

I myself needed quite some time to get over it, but now I do all the dishes, clean the floor and do all the laundry at home.  And I haven't lost my gender yet Smiling (click to insert in post)

The list I mentioned was speaking symbolically.  When I get home, the first things that my wife often tells me is "hurry, there's a lot to do!".  While my only wish is to greet everyone happily, and be welcomed back in the family after a long day in the office.  This has highest priority, and new tasks are a big no-no before this ritual is finished; but give me 15 minutes, and I'm ready to rock your world again.  I think it is probably related to a deep-rooted instinct (returning to the tribe or something).

Jack
vortex of confusion

« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2015, 07:46:40 AM »

Excerpt

When I get home, the first things that my wife often tells me is "hurry, there's a lot to do!".  While my only wish is to greet everyone happily, and be welcomed back in the family after a long day in the office.  This has highest priority, and new tasks are a big no-no before this ritual is finished; but give me 15 minutes, and I'm ready to rock your world again.  I think it is probably related to a deep-rooted instinct (returning to the tribe or something).

I have been following the conversation between Jack and Notwendy and the above stood out. It stood out because it seems to be making the issue about gender roles. I don't see how gender plays a part. I work two part time jobs AND I homeschool the kids. Why is it that the expectation is that a man gets welcomed back home and gets time to regroup? When my husband gets home a lot of days, the kids and I are at the the kitchen table so we can sit down and eat as a family. When he gets home, he comes in, changes his clothes, and does what he wants for the most part.

When I go to work and come home, I don't get any special greetings or special treatment. A lot of days I walk in the door and get bombarded with things that need taken care of. The kids will save up their requests for me. And, the other problem that I have with the idea that a man needs to unwind when he comes home in the evening is that it assumes that the stay at home partner hasn't had a long day and hasn't really done anything that he/she would need to regroup or recover from. Being a stay at home partner with a bunch of kids is a lot of work and can try a person's patience.

formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2015, 07:58:05 AM »

If I may ask : can you give an example of how you discussed this issue in the past?

Sure thing... .by the past... .I'm thinking you are asking about "pre-BPD" knowledge.

to be clear to all... .this is not the way to do it.  This is an example from my past... before I learned tools

So... .I am in room ... let's say kitchen.  She walks in and "ignores" or doesn't ask about the work that I have done in there.  Let's say dishwasher is running because I unloaded and reloaded it.  She would identify "something amiss" and ask or tell me about it.  Usually this was pleasant... .to a slight edge.  

I might defend myself a bit... .or point out that I had done the dishes.  In my view that would be ignored and she would return to whatever was amiss and complain about it... .and at some point she would probably use the words... ."you never help with that... "

I would usually protest... .she would claim she knew what she was talking about... .I would say she was wrong that I did help... she would say prove it.  I would.  

It always befuddled me that once I proved I was a helpful husband and actually helped with the things she claimed I "never" helped with... .that she was not happy.  I mean... .who wouldn't want a helpful husband.

So... I proved myself right and blameless.  She was p$ssed... .I was confused.  I would usually explain again how she should be happy...

Hopefully a distraction would come along to end it... .because I was never smart enough to "walk away"... .I was right (and I was... .from my point of view)  and was not going to "cop a plea bargain" to appease an unreasonable woman that couldn't look at reality.

Then... .she would usually wake me up at middle of the night to remind me how much of an a$$hole I was... .start the cycle over again.

How does that picture look?

Whew... glad those days are over... .!   Smiling (click to insert in post) Smiling (click to insert in post)

Jack_50

« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2015, 08:31:49 AM »

Hello VOC,

I'm in the same situation as you when I get home, usually there's no welcome and a long todo list waiting.

I think that gender should not play a role here:  I welcome my wife when she gets back, ask her how it was, let her change and do what needs to be done, and only start discussing about things still to do, once she's all settled in.  The way I would like to be treated.  Unfortunately the favor is not returned... .Maybe I just need to explain a bit better about the ritual... .

And if you, as the stay-at-home partner, are equally exhausted, it's probably best to equally unwind in the evening.  The todo list can often wait.  We're all human, and can only do so much in a day.

Jack
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2015, 08:38:34 AM »

Unfortunately the favor is not returned... .Maybe I just need to explain a bit better about the ritual... .

This is "normal" in BPD r/s... that things are "unequal" and "unbalanced".

Anytime you think that you need to "explain" something to fix it... .tread carefully

You are in a minefield.

I'm not saying don't explain... .you just have to check the rules... .and if explaining hasn't gone well in the past... .do it a different way.

There is a "way" to get it done... .you just have to find it.  You have to be in tune with your partner.

Many times while "explaining" we end up invalidating... .or our partners hear that they are doing something wrong.

The concept of good better best doesn't seem to process for them... .it only seems to be good/bad

You will see lots of mention about black and white thinking that seems to support this observation

vortex of confusion

« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2015, 09:13:50 AM »

Unfortunately the favor is not returned... .Maybe I just need to explain a bit better about the ritual... .

And perhaps there doesn't need to be an explanation. Like FF says, tread lightly with explanations. Is there a way to clearly state the need without explanation? For example, focus on "I need 15 minutes when I get home." No explanations, no justifications. A simple statement of need. The problem that I have is the lack of follow through. I think I have stated something clearly and he acts like he heard me but there still isn't much, if any, follow through.

Excerpt
There is a "way" to get it done... .you just have to find it.  You have to be in tune with your partner.

Many times while "explaining" we end up invalidating... .or our partners hear that they are doing something wrong.

FF, I think I know what you are getting at with this. I keep wondering how to get in tune with my partner. We will have great talks and things will feel like they are going in a positive direction and then, BAM, something happens and I feel like I have lost all ground and feel the need to start explaining or using mathematics to get my point across. I am thinking of an example with the dishes. I ask him to help me by emptying the dishwasher. He can't seem to wash dishes and get them clean so we agreed that I would load the dishwasher and he puts them away. Last night, I lightheartedly said that everything in the dishwasher was clean. He opened it up, saw that everything was still wet, and said, "I will empty it tomorrow. Everything is still too wet." I made a silly joke and left it at that. My problem is that I have already emptied the dishwasher several times this week. I am trying to think of how to handle things if he doesn't get to it tonight. I have clearly stated my need repeatedly. I have tried to give him ample time and space to complete the task yet it still isn't happening. I am changing my part of the dance by not nagging and trying to be more mindful of how I bring up topics and when I bring them up so that I am not inadvertantly invalidating him. And, I am trying to avoid using specifics such as being able to enumerate things such as how many times I have done something or how much time has passed since the last time he did something. His other chore is to change the cat box. That has been his thing since early in the marriage. He made a big deal about getting cat litter over a week ago yet still hasn't changed the cat boxes.

Something as simple as asking him why it hasn't been done can be very invalidating to him. How does one work with that?

Notwendy

« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2015, 09:14:06 AM »

I'll address the gender issues, and it is very helpful to hear Jack's explanation as this is the world my H grew up in and formed his ideas of his identity as a man. It was as rigid and controlling as his father was. My H didn't entirely buy into it, and was less like this when we dated. Much of this came out after we were married, but it makes sense that with the stress of supporting a family and the emotional investment in the relationship, that the rigidity would emerge as a way to preserve his sense of self ( not that it is right, but it is in alignment with that push/pull and the fear connected with being close).

I didn't understand it at all as it wasn't something I even considered would happen. I was not interested in gender roles so much. Had I married someone who earned less than me, I would have been the breadwinner with my husband taking on more of the home duties, however, my H earned more than me and it made sense to take on more traditional roles. I see the family as a unit with each person taking on some roles, not all 50-50 but in general some sort of division that works best, and so this worked for the family. What I was not prepared for was the rigidity, the rages, the projections and constant circular arguments. Had my H been like Jack desctribed, a traditional man, I would have been OK with it, because a healthy human can see where what he/she is doing is hurtful or not working and make exceptions to agreements in certain cases.

People are human. Someone can do the dishes most of the time, but sometimes, if the kids are sick, or the mom isn't feeling well, even a traditional man can see that this is time to help, just like I can see that if taking out the trash makes my H late for work, then I can help. What was missing was the natural give and take of these events. If I didn't do the dishes they were not going to be done. If I asked, I he would get angry. I was exhausted a lot of the time, but it didn't make a difference to him. He had these "logical" arguments about fairness, and doing my job meant doing two jobs to him and that wasn't fair. I never thought in those terms. Our family life was both of ours. He chose to divide it that way.

It is true opposites attract, and my H's stabilty was very attractive to me as my emotionality was to him. That would have been OK with me too, if there wasn't a raging volcano of anger under that stability. I could have lived with less emotional connection. We would make great room mates living parallel lives, but a problem arises when there is raging+lack of emotional connection and the H still expects great sex. I would never withhold as punishment and actually did  give him what he needed physically, however, this, for me, was not the setting to have desire. He picks up on that, and expects me to be the whole package- want, love, desire him. He has tried  hard to change that, and let me connect emotionally to a point, thanks to realizing his contribution to my depression. The rages are not as frequent. T and codependency has helped with that, but they are hard on me emotionally.

As to FF's discussion with his wife. It's funny because my H tells me he can never do enough for me, but I wonder if it is a projection of his experience with his dad, because I don't have unrealistic expectations of him. But his projections affect me. I can do everything I think he wants but sometimes it isn't right. I can think we have some sort of agreement but he can undo it in a minute. I had to take a child somewhere on Father's Day- something school related that he understood was important, and I thought he understood that we'd celebrate early. I thought he understood that. I planned a nice dinner and gifts for him the day before. The next day, he raged about me missing Fathers day and not having a nice dinner. Take this kind of thing into the bedroom, and it is very damaging.

Notwendy

« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2015, 09:21:42 AM »

I don't like the idea of saying always or never, but in our case it is always:

"Many times while "explaining" we end up invalidating... .or our partners hear that they are doing something wrong."

I didn't put his critical dad's voice in his head, but it doesn't take much to activate it.
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2015, 09:24:39 AM »

I don't like the idea of saying always or never, but in our case it is always:

"Many times while "explaining" we end up invalidating... .or our partners hear that they are doing something wrong."

I didn't put his critical dad's voice in his head, but it doesn't take much to activate it.

Once you detect it has been activated... .what do you do now?  What did you used to do?

Yes... .there are times when always is correct... but that is very rare.

If "slaying" the always in your r/s is something that will help you feel better... .you can do this

Edgewood

« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2015, 09:32:03 AM »

Hi Formflier,

Can you give an example of the 80 – 90% that she wants, which you provide?

Maybe it’s just me, but I see so much gender expectation in your posts.  It makes me sad for both of you.  You say that you want to co-parent, but is that really what you’re doing?  Several times, you have mentioned that you “help” or are “helpful” to your wife.  Do you see the difference between a helper and a partner?  A helper assists someone with THEIR work; partners perform SHARED work.  Do you see how that outlook shifts the responsibility? With a partner, she's not in it alone; the load isn't all on her shoulders.

When the 2-year old came into your room, couldn’t you have taken her back to bed, instead of instructing your wife to do so?  If you want a family dinner, couldn’t you plan a menu, go to the grocery store, set the table, cook the turkey and serve the family dinner?  Is your wife the only one who can reset the baby’s schedule?  Are all these things really your wife’s failure to give you what you want?  What are you doing to get what you want?

It’s clear that you’re old school and there’s nothing wrong with that.  I’m guessing that a military man had mostly baby boomers as mentors and role models.  But, YOU aren’t a baby boomer, formflier.  You are a young man with a young family in the 21st Century.  Honestly, your family is simply too big to expect the woman to do all the “women’s work.”  Eight children generate TOO MUCH “women’s work” to maintain traditional roles.

I see how things could have been very different for you if you had taken complete responsibility for the family dinner and said, “Honey, I’m not sure about how to cook this turkey.  Will you share some of your cooking expertise to help me?”  Can you imagine how her perception of you would change if you partnered instead of helped?

Notwendy

« Reply #58 on: January 15, 2015, 09:40:31 AM »

If my H did that- actually took on what he thinks is "my" job, even for one night, as a kindness,  it would be the most incredible gift because it would show me that we really are partners.

There's actually a gag gift book called "Porn for Women". There is no porn in it. It is pictures of handsome men doing household tasks: the dishes, taking care of the baby, vaccuming. The reason why it is called "Porn for Women" is that it satisfies our deep emotional need to have a connected partnership, even if the jobs aren't divided 50/50. It's a statement of "ours" not yours. The guys in the pictures aren't so bad either.
EaglesJuju
Retired Staff

« Reply #59 on: January 15, 2015, 09:45:12 AM »

Staff only

This thread has reached its post limit, and is now closed. This is a worthwhile topic, and you are free to start a new thread to continue the conversation. Thanks for your understanding... .

"In order to take control of our lives and accomplish something of lasting value, sooner or later we need to Believe. We simply need to believe in the power that is within us, and use it." -Benjamin Hoff
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest