Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 25, 2024, 02:02:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Near or in break-up mode?
What Does it Take to Be in a Relationship
Is Your Relationship Breaking Down?
Escaping Conflict and the Karpman Drama Triangle
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Four T sessions in...  (Read 391 times)
breathelater

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: January 21, 2015, 08:56:25 AM »

UBPDw is seeing T to get a diagnosis. 

Last night was the fourth session to date & he tells me that he has not much of a dialogue with the T & that the sessions consist of my H relaying his thoughts, experiences, etc.

There doesn’t seem to be much dialogue between them.

Does anyone know if this is a customary diagnostic approach of BPD?

RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

EaglesJuju
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 09:14:22 AM »

Diagnosing a PD may take some time. This is especially true of the client/patient does not open up and a sense of trust is not established by the therapist.  Trust issues are really common amongst pwBPD.  Also, many pwBPD have a hard time expressing feelings/emotions. Finally, a diagnosis is reliant on what type of diagnostic tool a therapist uses.

"In order to take control of our lives and accomplish something of lasting value, sooner or later we need to Believe. We simply need to believe in the power that is within us, and use it." -Benjamin Hoff
maxsterling

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner
Relationship status: living together, engaged

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 10:26:18 AM »

I think this is typical that a T will spend the first few sessions getting a feel for the patient.  That means more listening and less diagnosing.  And if the T suspects BPD, I would guess the T would tread carefully.   Better to take things slow than to make a wrong early diagnosis. 

One thing to keep in mind here - that just him going to T is a good thing.  Everything beyond that is beyond your control and should be beyond your control.  If he wants to talk about it, fine, but be careful to not get too involved - you aren't his caretaker.  That's the only way to regain sanity through all this - let his emotional issues be the realm of him and his doctors, and that frees you up to take care of yourself.

breathelater

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 10:47:35 AM »

My anxiety about his possible reaction to a diagnosis is getting the better out of me.

I know he has spoken about his tumultuous r/s with women and has bundled me in with all the 2 yrs r/s he had in the past... .that threw me over the edge... .so I stopped asking about the particulars.

I am also anxious of his reaction once he is diagnosed
EaglesJuju
Retired Staff

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 11:23:53 AM »

My anxiety about his possible reaction to a diagnosis is getting the better out of me.

I know he has spoken about his tumultuous r/s with women and has bundled me in with all the 2 yrs r/s he had in the past... .that threw me over the edge... .so I stopped asking about the particulars.

I am also anxious of his reaction once he is diagnosed

I can understand how that may give you anxiety.

He may react in a negative way. That mainly has to do with a pwBPD having a hard time accepting their flaws. Honestly, many people have problems accepting that there is something wrong with them.  Being supportive and using communication tools and validation will help with an adverse reaction to a diagnosis. 

My pwBPD has a hard time with "labels," which is understandable. He told me that he thinks he has a PD. He seemed upset and I explained a PD is just a name for a grouping of maladaptive behavior. 

Also, I tend to not ask my pwBPD about his therapy. If he wants to tell me about something in particular, I just listen  and do not say anything. I found it is best to not involve myself in his therapy.

Do you have anxiety about the possibility that your SO may not be diagnosed?

"In order to take control of our lives and accomplish something of lasting value, sooner or later we need to Believe. We simply need to believe in the power that is within us, and use it." -Benjamin Hoff
breathelater

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 01:32:43 PM »

Yes!  I do.  It's been 10 years of magic/fog/tears/confusion/anger & I am afraid that if he doesn't get diagnosed that we will not ever deal with deep issues that brew the rages and illogical thoughts.

I have also had seen my share of incompetent therapists... .and I fear getting shammed by a person who earned his degree from a on-line diploma producing school (we had 3 sessions) and the other T who complained about his wife and told us that we needed to break up since we could not "see eye to eye". 
EaglesJuju
Retired Staff

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2015, 10:34:23 AM »

Yes!  I do.  It's been 10 years of magic/fog/tears/confusion/anger & I am afraid that if he doesn't get diagnosed that we will not ever deal with deep issues that brew the rages and illogical thoughts.

I have also had seen my share of incompetent therapists... .and I fear getting shammed by a person who earned his degree from a on-line diploma producing school (we had 3 sessions) and the other T who complained about his wife and told us that we needed to break up since we could not "see eye to eye". 

Diagnosing BPD can be sometimes difficult. BPD is a spectrum disorder, which means there are variations with the intensity/range of behaviors. The variability of behaviors can fit criteria for other disorders.  Many therapists/psychiatrists tend to start focusing on less stigmatizing disorders, like bipolar (which is a common misdiagnosis for BPD) and try to distinguish the behaviors and rule disorders out.  Whether or not your SO is diagnosed with BPD should not be a focus, since it is only a label. The most pertinent thing is working on maladaptive behaviors and the origin of behavior.

I am sorry you had such a difficult time with finding a therapist.   Finding the right psychiatrist/psychologist is really important. It truly is not a "one size fits all" type of thing. It may take a couple of different therapists to find the "right one." Most therapists have their background listed on their website or another website that has a review. You can look at their credentials and the focus of their treatment (CBT, DBT, Psychodynamic, etc.) and make a decision on tailored on that.     

formflier
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 09:37:40 PM »

Focus on the traits... .the actual behaviors... .don't worry about diagnosis.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest