Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 20, 2024, 04:19:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
How to communicate after a contentious divorce... Following a contentious divorce and custody battle, there are often high emotion and tensions between the parents. Research shows that constant and chronic conflict between the parents negatively impacts the children. The children sense their parents anxiety in their voice, their body language and their parents behavior. Here are some suggestions from Dean Stacer on how to avoid conflict.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brand New and Saying Hello  (Read 364 times)
ParadiseLost
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: January 24, 2015, 11:20:34 PM »

I have been lurking for a while and reading peoples posts. I finally thought it was time to register and say hello. My x is a uBPD and is the very definition of "high functioning, Narcissistic, BPD" out of Walking on Eggshells. I have a very young son with her and since the break up its been hell. So, guess i'm just looking for some support and education on how to deal with her and the situation. Nice to meet everyone
momtara

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 12:14:35 AM »

Welcome. Are you divorced, separated, or what? How old's the son? Hope you get some peace.
NorthernGirl

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent
Relationship status: married

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 04:02:09 PM »

Hello ParadiseLost  and welcome 

I'm glad you have registered and are saying hello. Many people find that sharing their story and reading other is a great way to move forward.

We'd love to hear more about your son and the situation you're in. We can provide some support and ideas that fit. Do you parallel parent your son? How long has it been since you broke up?

Keep sharing your story and we'll be here to help. 

[/url]
livednlearned
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 05:34:05 PM »

Hi ParadiseLost,

I have a high-functioning N/BPD ex too, and we have a son together. The line between mentally ill and seemingly normal can appear razor thin. And the more high-functioning they are, the less likely people can imagine what it's like. My ex also used the legal system to keep the abuse going, I think he was more likely to do that because he was so-called high-functioning. He had an uncanny ability to manipulate the system.

How is your son doing? How are you holding up?

Breathe.
ParadiseLost
Fewer than 3 Posts

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 10:49:39 PM »

Thank you all for the welcome.

To answer a few questions my son is 9 months and is absolutely adorable. Right now I'm doing a mix of co-parenting and parallel parenting. But honestly I am doing most of the parenting. I take him to all the Dr visits and my family watches him 5 days a week which means he is at my house 6 days a week and 3/4 nights.

We are broken up meaning we were engaged but her behavior just got to extreme and couldnt and I got concerned for my kids safety as well as my own.

Liveandlearned - thank you for your reply, I can relate. On one hand my ex is very high functioning but on the other she cant hold a job for over 6 months because of her personality and constant absenteeism. But because of her looks and intelligence she is a master manipulator. She will use the legal system, threats, and accusations to control and manipulate the people in her life.

My son is doing well, I however am not. Maybe tomorrow will be better...
livednlearned
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 08:45:59 AM »

My son is doing well, I however am not. Maybe tomorrow will be better...

It's pretty common for people here to suffer from depression, especially after the relationship ends. And while you have the added joy of a young son, it is also pretty sobering to raise a child as a single parent, especially when the other parent has a mental illness.

I know everyone has a different journey and each of our circumstances can make things harder/easier, but I just wanted to say that the year after my marriage ended, I cried every day. Every single day. I didn't think it would get better, and could not believe that things had ended up the way they did.

There really is a path through this -- keep reading, and posting when you feel motivated to do so. It's been 4 years or so since I left N/BPDx and I have never felt as good as I do now. I'm dating a wonderful man, and for the first time in my life it's a healthy relationship. It was painful getting here, but worth it. Sorry, I know that's very cheesy to say. 

It doesn't stay this hard forever, and it can get even better, as long as you're willing to do the work.

Breathe.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest