Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 11:38:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Depression = 72% of members
Take the test, read about the implications, and check out the remedies.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: learning g to deal with my new loved one.  (Read 433 times)
Forestgirl
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: January 27, 2015, 08:15:19 AM »

Feb 15, 2015 will make 6 months into my new relationship. I really  love this guy and I feel there's nothing I wouldn't do for him.

But now am discovering some BPD traits... .and it seems to be getting worse/dramatic every other episode. I'm highly interested in getting involved and helping him. i witnessed  the first melt down over something thought to be major turned out to be  minor (thought to be A/C unitgoing out when it was just a breaker switch)  and after the kicking doors and breaking and throwing things. ... he sat down and created a journal of what made him feel bad as he was going through this... .and admited he needed help. Also admited it wasn't fair to me.

I will support him and be there for him but I need to know at a beginners level... .besides just listening there are times I run out if things to say. I hear that he is in some type of pain... .but would like to know what to say when he talks about not being here on earth... .just walking away from it all... becoming a homeless person

has says he has no purpose in life. Please, I would appreciate any and all your suggestions.

thank you in advance!

Kat
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

EaglesJuju
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 10:57:35 AM »

Hi Forestgirl, 

Welcome aboard.

Coping with BPD traits and behaviors can really be frustrating.     Unfortunately, something as innocuous as an A/C unit shutting off can trigger major dysregulation.  Learning about the behavior and understanding is essential for being in a relationship with a person with BPD (pwBPD). I think it is great that you are being supportive by wanting to know more about the behavior of pwBPD. Being supportive and understanding truly makes a difference in a relationship with a pwBPD. Here is a beginners article that describes the basics of a relationship with a pwBPD. The Do's and Don'ts for a BP relationship

The emotional turmoil inside a pwBPD is absolutely horrible.  Most pwBPD grew up in an invalidating environment, where their caretaker did not validate the pwBPD's emotions or gave negative reinforcement of averse emotional expression. Essentially, the pwBPD was taught, learned, or was invalidated by emotional responses.  The core of the disorder is emotion dysregulation (learning to control emotions).

The comment your SO is making about having no purpose in life is related to having an unstable sense of self.  Many times a pwBPD will have a self-image reliant on the premise that they are "bad" or many times they feel as if they do not exist at all. The lack of a stable sense of self can be exacerbated in situations when a pwBPD feels that something is lacking, such as support or nurturing. Although this may not be the case, since pwBPD view feelings as facts. 

It is good that your SO is somewhat self aware. Is your SO in therapy?

Learning about the disorder and wanting to help is great, but as partners of a pwBPD there is a tendency to forget about our needs. Don't forget you are important too.  Smiling (click to insert in post)  Take some time to read the lessons on the right hand side of the page. They really do help.  Also, posting here really helps.  There are so many people going through similar situations.

Perhaps you can share more of your story so we can help you better?   

"In order to take control of our lives and accomplish something of lasting value, sooner or later we need to Believe. We simply need to believe in the power that is within us, and use it." -Benjamin Hoff
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest