Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 29, 2024, 12:59:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New book about NPD and high conflict personality  (Read 411 times)
bravhart1

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

« on: February 20, 2015, 03:36:12 PM »

I just got it today but so far it seems good. It's called "Will I Ever Be Free Of You?"

The title definitely got my attention! LOL
livednlearned
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 05:31:12 PM »

Thanks! I'm curious if it describes my experience. Somewhere I read that more narcissistic types tend to engage in the constant court warfare approach, which certainly applied to my situation.

Did the narcissistic person in your life eventually start dating someone? When my ex began dating, he sort of disappeared. I figured it was a new narcissistic supply. It coincided with the judge terminating visitation, something that he could've appealed but didn't.

If it's a good book, let us know  Smiling (click to insert in post)

Breathe.
bravhart1

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 05:44:24 PM »

No, my husbands ex gf will not, does not date. First of all she's not a very nice person in general. Secondly she says that of course she has dedicated her entire life to her only child. 

I wish with my very being she would find someone else to fixate on besides poor SD6 and our family, but after going on like this for four years, I'm afraid the writing is pretty clear on that wall.
bravhart1

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 05:51:46 PM »

Oh! And yes so far the book is great. It's actually helping me with something I've struggled with, which is how my DH ever had the bad judgement to get together with her to begin with and why he stayed so lonnngggg... .

It's the only thing about him that after knowing him for six years ( we were friends for years before it became romantic) that I just can't make line up in my head. The man I know would never put up with such nonsense and drama, and yet he did. 

I feel like it would help those struggling with feeling guilty about sticking their child with such a bad parent and forgiving themselves for making a bad relationship decision.

The book definitely covers a lot of ground regarding NPD/BPD's propensity for liking and desiring court drama. Makes me sick, but these are our lives.
Eco

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 07:02:45 PM »

I will have to check that book out as my ex is more than likely N she has strong N traits.

Excerpt
I feel like it would help those struggling with feeling guilty about sticking their child with such a bad parent and forgiving themselves for making a bad relationship decision.

I am going through this as well and im struggling hard with guilt, everytime I bring my daughter back I feel like im lowering her into the pits of hell. I feel like I am supposed to protect my daughter and when I bring her back to my ex im putting her in harms way.
Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2013; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2015, 11:22:22 PM »

I got about a quarter of the way though it yesterday, up to the point where he starts discussing the court issues. While my Ex isn't NPD, I realize that she was (is?) self-centered and narcissistic in many ways. It can be hard to seperate that out from a pwBPD, but it's the traits and behaviors we're dealing with, not a diagnosis. One of the resources he lists at the end is the book The Power of Validation, too, another good book.

Good so far, thanks for the recommendation.

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
drummerboy

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2015, 11:37:39 PM »

Thanks for the heads up about that book.

I've just finished reading a book that applies to our relationships: "The Human Magnet Theory" It explains that most of our partners were N emotional manipulators and it talks about BPD a lot in this context. Basically it says that every BPD will be a N emotional manipulator and it helped explain a lot of my exes behaviour. It also explains how these people will be magnetically attracted to a person with strong co dependent tendencies and vice versa and that the relationships actually work, in a very dysfunctional way as both are too terrified of ending them. In my case it made me feel better because it meant that I wasn't submissive enough for my exes needs which is why she dumped me and went back to the ex before me who is a total doormat/no self esteem/codependent. Much better for her than me who expected her to stand on her own two feet for the first time in her life.
bravhart1

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2015, 08:37:01 PM »

Update on the book... .I've finished it and found it to have a lot of great advice for managing your child's damage from having a parent with PD whether it's BPD or NPD I still think it's a fine line between the two. The empathy component and how to help them manage was very sound.

The most interesting thing to come of the book however is the pilot program for high conflict divorce cases that she hopes to put into effect. While I found the idea to be sound, the details were a bit vague. But interesting overall.

Don't know about you guys, but I'm always wondering just when and how we can get the court system to recognize these "special" people and the need for a different kind of order in able to protect the children sooner, with less stress to the non PD parent and without bankrupting the family. The pilot program might be on the right track.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest