Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 19, 2024, 11:02:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Depression = 72% of members
Take the test, read about the implications, and check out the remedies.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Girlfriends EX threatening suicide.  (Read 363 times)
Infern0

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: February 22, 2015, 03:31:47 PM »

Hey, so the dude that I replaced has been threatening suicide attempts and saying he needs to see her. She has shown me the texts, they are along the lines of "I have nothing left to live for please can I just see you, I just want to end it all"

My girlfriend is BPD however she does have compassion and empathy, she is saying it's not a good idea to see him especially as he was physically violent towards her at the end (this was witnessed, and to be somewhat fair to the guy she WAS gaslighting him pretty bad which i think pushed him over the edge) but she doesn't want him to do anything like that. It's causing her quite a lot of distress.

I don't know this guys deal, he's a former drug addict and clearly has some psychological issues of his own, which has been apparent for a long time. He was a friend of hers before we got together and during our initial courtship he used to play on her compassionate side by telling her he was sick, needed help, needed to go to hospital etc. Which always seemed to happen when he knew she was spending time with me. This kind of thing always makes her "want to be a good person" and help. One night we were having dinner quite happily then he called and she had to leave and an hour later she's snapchatting me from the hospital waiting room. The doctors didn't find anything wrong btw, big shocker eh.

I'm not sure what to do in this situation, this guy really needs to take a hike, when she's with me she's happy and her life gets better but when she's around him things go wrong all the time. Their relationship was more toxic than anything you can imagine, and many people said one of them was going to end up dead.

any advice on hw to handle this?
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 03:58:14 PM »

This seems like a potentially dangerous situation for all parties involved. I would hope that there's someone else who could be his rescuer this time--a friend, family member. I'm glad your girlfriend does not immediately jump into that role--it seems like she's wiser after having been there, done that in the past.

I would hesitate to get the authorities to do a welfare check on him since he is a former addict, but I certainly wouldn't get involved if I were you and I'd hope your girlfriend doesn't either.

“The Four Agreements  1. Be impeccable with your word.  2. Don’t take anything personally.  3. Don’t make assumptions.  4. Always do your best. ”     ― Miguel Ruiz, The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
Panda39

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex
Relationship status: SO and I have been together 9 years and have just moved in together this summer.

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 04:06:19 PM »

Have the police do a welfare check.

"Have you ever looked fear in the face and just said, I just don't care" -Pink
EaglesJuju
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 06:21:33 PM »

Have you talked to your gf about how it is probably not a good idea to become involved?

"In order to take control of our lives and accomplish something of lasting value, sooner or later we need to Believe. We simply need to believe in the power that is within us, and use it." -Benjamin Hoff
HoldingAHurricane

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 10:43:21 PM »

Anyone who is talking about suicide should be taken seriously. Involve the professionals who are properly trained to respond like emergency services. They are best placed to assess the situation and decide on the best course of action and link him to the right services. It's not a healthy dynamic for anyone for him to be contacting her and her to be the first responder to a potentially traumatising situation.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest