Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 24, 2024, 10:29:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Am brand new to here looking for support  (Read 339 times)
timandkat
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: February 23, 2015, 04:30:11 AM »

I have been in a relationship for 8 years with my partner whom has had a recent diagnosis of BPD. She has alot more awareness and has done alot and ongoing therapy but I/we still need support. Sometimes things can get so unbearable but I always look forward to the good days she has. She has come a long way and now it's time for me to get some support/help and she understands this.  I wish I found these forums alot earlier but it's good to know I have a place to get support.

I look forward to meeting anyone on here. I am open to any advice it's so wonderful to know there are resources like this out there. Thanks so much
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Rockylove

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 05:42:48 AM »

Welcome

The best advise I can give you is to read everything you can.  The suggested books are amazing and the lessons (to the right) have been invaluable to me.  So glad you found this wonderful resource!   Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)
EaglesJuju
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 07:43:39 AM »

Hi timandkat,   

Welcome aboard.  You came to the right place for support and resources.  You will find that there are many of us who are going through similar situations with their significant other. Posting here really helps.

I understand how unbearable it is coping with the erratic and confusing behaviors of BPD.  The rollercoaster behavior of a person with BPD (pwBPD) can make anyone feel frustrated or overwhelmed. 

It is great that you are taking the opportunity to focus and have an outlet of support for yourself.   Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)  Taking care of yourself is very important. It sounds so simple, but it is something that most of us have forgotten or forget to do in our relationships.  The motto on the staying board is "before you can make anything better, you must stop making it worse."  This motto has truly helped me improve my relationship with my bf. My journey of making things better started by focusing on myself and learning my role in the relationship.  Take a look at this article.

Article 4: Take the First Step Toward Improving Your Relationship

It is great that your partner is in therapy, self-aware, and is working on her maladaptive behaviors.  What types of behavior are you having a problem coping with? 

"In order to take control of our lives and accomplish something of lasting value, sooner or later we need to Believe. We simply need to believe in the power that is within us, and use it." -Benjamin Hoff
Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 10:28:53 AM »

Welcome and you're here with lots of people who've been through trying times. You sound like a supportive partner and I'm very glad that your SO has awareness and understanding of her part. What has helped me is to get therapy for myself. It's a lot of responsibility to be in a relationship with a pwBPD and in addition to posting here, having one's own therapist is very helpful.

“The Four Agreements  1. Be impeccable with your word.  2. Don’t take anything personally.  3. Don’t make assumptions.  4. Always do your best. ”     ― Miguel Ruiz, The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest