Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 24, 2024, 01:30:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Family entanglements  (Read 343 times)
mjh

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: March 14, 2015, 12:35:03 PM »

So, I have long thought that my wife and her father both suffer from BPD.  Now the problems it has caused are expanding beyond my immediate family.

My wife's parents have been married for close to 40 years.  Dad is disabled due to a back injury and is on some fairly significant pain meds- maybe too much.  mom has always seemed very concerned with appearances, to the point that she has spent quite a bit of money on the wrong things over the years and they are broke.

Last week, mom tells us that she's had it with him and his crazy accusations of infidelity and can't go on with the charade any more.  She wants a divorce.

Now, this is sort of preposterous, because they can't really support one household, much less two.  However, my wife and her sister decide that they have to discuss this.  We tried last night.

I should have known how this would turn out, but I went along.  We didn't get 30 minutes into the discussion before my spouse is accusing her sisters husband of not caring about her, blaming Sis for the lack of love mom showed and the emotional abuse that dad piled on her, etc.

Now we have an incredibly awkward family gathering ahead of us for the day.  Bro in law has already approached me and told me that he is out of here if she starts down that road again.  Wife is still mad and suspicious of everyone, full of resentment.  Sis in law is showing off some of the defense mechanisms she must have learned as a kid.

I have heard the stories of dads 'incidents' over the years, now mom is coming out and saying that they never stopped.  The meds keep him knocked out most of the time, but when he is up and about its almost like the time he was under led to some sort of delusionary world view. 

Wife is still irate and has cancelled our planned anniversary trip reservations, is threatening to cut off comma witht the family, 'turn in' her family card, etc.

Not sure what I am trying to get to, but it felt good to post. 

Wish me luck.

PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

tjay933

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2015, 09:04:53 PM »

mjh

thanks for posting and welcome to the group. sorry to hear you are having such a bad time and more to come. let us know how it goes and if there is anything we can help you with.

i know how chaotic family can be. your in laws sound a lot like mine. i shoulda started writing about them a long time ago, i'd have a best seller by now.

hang in there and remember to breathe. and bring along anything you think you might need along with any ideas for escaping even temporarily if you think you or any other relative might need a breather from the blood fight. if you have a dog, bring it so you have an excuse to go for a walk. suddenly remember something you need to pick up/drop off if you feel you need to get out for a few minutes.

above all, stay safe.
bxtxba
Fewer than 3 Posts

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 11:30:36 AM »

So, I have long thought that my wife and her father both suffer from BPD.  Now the problems it has caused are expanding beyond my immediate family.

My wife's parents have been married for close to 40 years.  Dad is disabled due to a back injury and is on some fairly significant pain meds- maybe too much.  mom has always seemed very concerned with appearances, to the point that she has spent quite a bit of money on the wrong things over the years and they are broke.

Last week, mom tells us that she's had it with him and his crazy accusations of infidelity and can't go on with the charade any more.  She wants a divorce.

Now, this is sort of preposterous, because they can't really support one household, much less two.  However, my wife and her sister decide that they have to discuss this.  We tried last night.

I should have known how this would turn out, but I went along.  We didn't get 30 minutes into the discussion before my spouse is accusing her sisters husband of not caring about her, blaming Sis for the lack of love mom showed and the emotional abuse that dad piled on her, etc.

Now we have an incredibly awkward family gathering ahead of us for the day.  Bro in law has already approached me and told me that he is out of here if she starts down that road again.  Wife is still mad and suspicious of everyone, full of resentment.  Sis in law is showing off some of the defense mechanisms she must have learned as a kid.

I have heard the stories of dads 'incidents' over the years, now mom is coming out and saying that they never stopped.  The meds keep him knocked out most of the time, but when he is up and about its almost like the time he was under led to some sort of delusionary world view. 

Wife is still irate and has cancelled our planned anniversary trip reservations, is threatening to cut off comma witht the family, 'turn in' her family card, etc.

Wish me luck.

Wish me luck.

It sounds like a really challenging situation.  How does your significant other function on a daily basis?  Do you have kids involved?
formflier
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 11:35:36 PM »

MJH,

How are things now?

I'm glad you found us... .we can help things to get better in your r/s.

For this situation... .most people that are dealing with BPD traits successfully have figured out that there is usually little upside to being involved in family drama and plenty of downside... .opportunities to be blamed... .and worse.

I would encourage you to read up on validation.  Focus less on the details of the drama and more on trying to understand and validate your wife's emotions.

FF

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest