Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 29, 2024, 06:21:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: similarities between BPD (waif) and DID (with BPD traits)  (Read 375 times)
Haye

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: SO

« on: March 16, 2015, 06:23:58 AM »

I'm live with my SO and my three kids (from previous marriage). He had been evaluated to suffer from BPD (waif-type) with some dissociative behaviour. I've been at this board about a year now, and gotten a lot information and help (thanks all you people . I've occasionally doubted whether he is a true BPD, and kept thinking it's perhaps ptsd with both BPD and DID traits. A lot of his behaviour has had the traits of BPD waif, quite clear actually. However, his psychologist and pshychiatrist have been reviewing his case and have agreed that he has a DID, with PTSD and BPD in a big role too. I don't know how it is with other waifs, perhaps he is just an exception showing the difficulty in correct diagnosing?

What has made it a bit difficult to diagnose is that his alters are not totally different (like one sees on film/TV multiple personas, with different clothes and names etc). However there are, and have been, traits they do not share. One alter for example is in charge with anger, resentment etc (he can't deal with rage otherwise). But what goes on is not much different than a BPD going into a ragefit. What does create more difficulties is that not all of his alters want to be with me in a relationship. Perhaps some here still remember something about my case, nevertheless he dumped me quite suddenly about two months ago after being cold and distant for a month. Before that happened we shared the most loving and intimate moments ever, for months, something that has always ended with him switching into a cold distant version of him. However, even this colder version continued to attend therapy etc, so his alters are not totally autonomous either (or they are, with the exception of the suicidal one, helpbent on getting him/them better)

But the good thing is that a lot of stuff that works with BPDs seems work with DIDs as well! My lessons here have been of good use nonetheless. For what i've managed to gather so far is that maintaining boundaries is perhaps even more crucial with a pwDID than with pwBPDs. Also not taking anything personally and avoiding getting involved in arguments. Both BPD and DID seem to have profound attachment issues, very similar in that perspective too.

So yeah. I'm with him, still, but it has been quite draining period of time. I don't know if being dumped and hasn't affected my feelings too much - i was getting used to the idea of not being with him anymore, though i don't think i never stopped loving him. Now I try to figure how much FOG affects my thinking and take it as it comes i guess.
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Sunfl0wer
`

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: He moved out mid March

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 06:35:42 AM »

Excerpt
What has made it a bit difficult is that his alters are not totally different (like one sees on film/TV multiple personas, with different clothes and names etc).

From what I have researched in the past, DID as seen on TV does not truly exist.  There was also a Dr. Phil episode about it.  He explained that it is rare that DID has such clearly distinct identities like depicted in some shows that exist.  Rather, when a person does exhibit that type of extreme DID it is because of the influence imposed onto the pt by a therapist who has taught the pt to develop the disorder that way due to their own biases or desires.

How wrong it is for a woman to expect the man to build the world she wants, rather than to create it herself.~Anais Nin
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest