Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 23, 2024, 09:12:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Near or in break-up mode?
What Does it Take to Be in a Relationship
Is Your Relationship Breaking Down?
Escaping Conflict and the Karpman Drama Triangle
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Could this be the reason for my BPDbf didn't communicate with me?  (Read 343 times)
Kasina

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: March 17, 2015, 09:12:47 PM »

Hello everyone,

I was just wondering about this that in the start of my relationship with my uBPDbf he was quite open about his mood and feelings to me,he talked up whatever made him angry or frustrated even about his family members and in beginning he himself admitted to me that he had this mood problems ...

But after sometime in to relationship like in two months I started figure out that there was sth wrong about his behavior so I started searching and reading about his behavior as I was already well aware of his past relationship and the way he use to acted out in school and college it was quite easy for me to find out that he's BPD .

I started to read alot about it and then naturally wanted to talk to him about it too but as advised over boards this was not a good idea so I keep quiet  but I started giving him hints that I know about his issues and I understand ...

So not day we were talking and I said to him that I understand why you feel constantly bored and agitated ... he started arguing right away in an effort to make sense I further worsened it by saying that you feel empty I understand how it is.

He got up and left and after that he shut me out for like a week I apologized profusely and he forgave me but after that he never opened up to me like he did before.

This was the second month of us starting to date... bow it's been more than 2 years but he haven't communicated to me the way he used to did before...

I understand I invalidated him at that time because I knew little about the tools for communication.

But after that one incident he talked to me about his issues now and then but he rarely was open ... like genuinely open ...

So I was just wondering was that the sole reason for him to being unable expressing himself because he thought he be misunderstood or is it the other way around and it's just part if BPD as in the more you know there issues and get close the more they pull away... ?

Just curious ... or is it both?because he will get dead silent when he was angry at me as if he was literally put of words ... he would just left cause I felt he was scared that if he stayed he might physically hurt me...
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

waverider
Retired Staff

Relationship status: married 8 yrs, together 16yrs

If YOU don't change, things will stay the same

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 04:32:39 AM »

He doesn't want you to tell him what is wrong with him. He wants to tell you his self diagnosis. Otherwise he loses control. Thats a threat.

A common symptom of this is them asking for advice, but then rejecting you as trying to control them if you are not simply mirroring back the scenario they are presenting.

'Understand" can be a tricky word. This stuff is in their head, it is alien to you, that is what they are telling you. If say you understand, they know you don't and can find it dismissive or patronizing. Alternatively they can take it as an Ok with you as an all encompassing excuse to do whatever they want, because "you understand'. If you pull them up later on something it gets thrown back at you 'you said you understood, you obviously dont, you are just lying'

It is a word best avoided.

Reality is shared and open to debate, feelings are individual and real
Crumbling

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 08:30:21 AM »

Hi, Kasina   

So I was just wondering was that the sole reason for him to being unable expressing himself because he thought he be misunderstood or is it the other way around and it's just part if BPD as in the more you know there issues and get close the more they pull away... ?

I hear you feeling guilty for actions you took almost two years ago.  What your SO does or thinks is not in your control, and even if it was, you cannot go back and change things, right?  Feeling guilty over it isn't going to help you today.   

No one likes to be labelled or told how they feel.  So it is best to avoid these conversations.  You know that now.  Lesson learned.   Bullet: completed (click to insert in post)

Have you acknowledged to him that you now know not to do this?   Have you let him know that you've felt bad for bring those things up, because you know now that doing that is hurtful to him and he doesn't have to fear that react from you again?  Does he have any self-awareness of his actions or words?  Does he have anyone he opens up to, like a therapist or someone? 

he will get dead silent when he was angry at me as if he was literally put of words ... he would just left cause I felt he was scared that if he stayed he might physically hurt me...

Sometimes getting distance is the only way to cool down a heated argument.  Or does he get upset, say nothing to you about why and just leave?  This would be terribly frustrating, but also much better than being lashed out at for something silly or uncalled for.

Have you read through the "before you can make anything better" link at the right of this page?  Knowing your role and what is important for you is really important.

I'm sending you good intentions,

c.
Loosestrife

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 02:57:44 PM »

He doesn't want you to tell him what is wrong with him. He wants to tell you his self diagnosis. Otherwise he loses control. Thats a threat.

A common symptom of this is them asking for advice, but then rejecting you as trying to control them if you are not simply mirroring back the scenario they are presenting.

'Understand" can be a tricky word. This stuff is in their head, it is alien to you, that is what they are telling you. If say you understand, they know you don't and can find it dismissive or patronizing. Alternatively they can take it as an Ok with you as an all encompassing excuse to do whatever they want, because "you understand'. If you pull them up later on something it gets thrown back at you 'you said you understood, you obviously dont, you are just lying'

It is a word best avoided.

This explains a lot of stuff that I could not make sense of - thanks
Kasina

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 04:04:49 PM »

Thankyou wave rider,

For your opinion in sorting out my confusion.yes I understand is a very dangerous word,I was very careful after that incident but as time passed I became very aware if what's he was feeling as I had somewhat insight in to BPD thinking which really used to get him because he hated it when I used to get him to know well and what caused it.

Thankou for the detailed answer.

X
waverider
Retired Staff

Relationship status: married 8 yrs, together 16yrs

If YOU don't change, things will stay the same

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 04:14:41 PM »

As you learn more about the disorder it is better to keep the extent of your knowledge to yourself, and just practice it. If they believe you are constantly analyzing (which they take as criticizing) you become a threat.

Conversely if they get to a stage where they are "open" about the disorder and want someone to "council" them, they will expect you to know the answer to everything, which as previously mentioned shouldn't deviate too far from what they find palatable... It becomes far too much pressure on you. That knowledge then just becomes an additional burden and responsibility.

In their mind you either have no understanding, or should have all the answers>>black and white thinking

Reality is shared and open to debate, feelings are individual and real
Kasina

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 05:22:50 AM »

Hello crumbling,

Yes,I feel guilty over it sometimes cause I get frustrated that why wouldn't he talk to me about things which are harmful for this r/s.he almost never talks about anything at all.

Mostly it's me apologising after him being passive aggressive about sth that I have no clue about so I keep second guessing all the time about what caused this fight or upset in his mood.

After we have an argument he believes that is all my fault by justifying it by his twisted thinking and when I try to talk or clarify he just straight forward ask mr to not he doesn't want me to take Blame apologise for it.

He just asks me to be quiet and then goes in his deep silence maybe trying to regulate sometrd he succeed at other times he just brings it up over and over rages at me threatens me to leave,break up with me ,blocks my number for awhile and then comes around eventually at his own pace and time.

Maybe despite all of my reading and trying to validate due to the first few incidents he dismissives all of my logic n validation.,he believes as if I m biased or my thinking is wrong or maybe I m way to judgmental or sth due to the first few months of our r/s cause I didn't knew about the disorder and I was pretty bold in speaking my mind to him and by nature I am very confident and bossy ... a little proud and grandiose cause maybe because of my family n friends who always makes me feel like I m apple of there eye.i m really loved and I can't thank good enough for that...

Because of these beliefs that he has,I m very scared of bring myself around him.i don't joke or speak my mind to him cause he might think I m being very assertive .i don't talk about day to day things about him because he think I m judgmental ...

He Often asks me why do I like myself so much  or why am u so confident in a very sarcastic tone... so I have changed alot just to not act invalidating ...

My self esteem has suffered alot.

He doesn't wants me to speak about past incident do I don't talk about the past but I keep changing my behaviour as in to not repeat the same mistakes.

I have read the lessons,I still keep reading when I think I have to refresh them in my mind.

X
Crumbling

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2015, 08:37:55 AM »

Oh, how I can relate to feeling like this, like there's nothing you can do or say to make things right, how it's just a tangled mess of crap that keeps leading you to be hurt.  I've been with my BPDh for over ten years, but he was only diagnosed about a year ago, so I've been through a lot, and I have felt this way more times than I care to remember.  It isn't a nice place to be.  I'm glad your sharing.

You're not alone, Kasina.  There are many people here who have been where you are.  And having people you can talk to and places to reach out for support are really important tools to use.

Maybe despite all of my reading and trying to validate due to the first few incidents he dismissives all of my logic n validation

When you're seen as black, or bad, by the person with BPD, they will lash out or withdraw, and this is more likely the reason he is being disrespectful of you, not because you caused it.  I'm going to say it again, Kasina, because it's very true, and very important for your own self esteem.  YOU DID NOT MAKE HIM THIS WAY.

It is so common to feel this way when your a nonBPD that the pros have a term for it: 'FOG'.  This is when you feel Fear Obligation or Guilt and you act based on these feelings.  It really does feel like being in a fog, like everything is confusing and frustrating.  It's so typical for us nons.  Most of us go through this a lot.  The good news is you can train yourself to recognize these feelings and be better prepared to deal with them.  Mostly, know that it's normal and that if you act on these feelings, you may be making things worse.  There are stories here on how people deal with this, just put FOG into the search site box under the green striped menu, and you get lots of info.

Mostly it's me apologising after him being passive aggressive about sth that I have no clue about so I keep second guessing all the time about what caused this fight or upset in his mood.

After we have an argument he believes that is all my fault by justifying it by his twisted thinking and when I try to talk or clarify he just straight forward ask mr to not he doesn't want me to take Blame apologise for it.

It makes sense that you would try defending yourself, and explaining your side of things.  The sad part is, with BPD, doing these things will most likely make things worse.  I don't know how or why this is, but it really does seem to be the case. 

This is also studied by the pros and they have termed it JADEing.  When you Justify yourself, Argue your point with the person, Defend your actions and Explain yourself; you will not be helping matters.  I know, I know, it totally goes against logic, because we are taught to express ourselves and try to make ourselves understood.  I struggle with this almost daily.  Being able to recognize when you are doing it, is really tough, because it's such a natural thing to do.  Again, the search site tool at the top can help you find more info on this.

Because of these beliefs that he has,I m very scared of bring myself around him.i don't joke or speak my mind to him cause he might think I m being very assertive .i don't talk about day to day things about him because he think I m judgmental ...

He Often asks me why do I like myself so much  or why am u so confident in a very sarcastic tone... so I have changed alot just to not act invalidating ...

My self esteem has suffered alot.

The more you read other people's stories on here, the more you will see this is the biggest challenge in these types of r/s's - keeping your own self worth. 

Last Christmas it hit home for me, just how much my confidence had shrunk.  I was nothing more than an empty shell of emotional chaos, even lost a job because of it, which is a real blow for an over-achiever like me.  At that point, I realized I need to stop focusing on my H and start directing my energy into me, and my life.  I am not going to change or help him - it isn't in my power to do this.  What is in my control is my life.  I have a right to not be disrespected in my own home, and it has been a work in progress to get this to stop.  And it never really does stop, you just learn to deal with it better, and to detach yourself from his words better.

I've only just begun this journey into self worth building.  I'm sure there are others out there that have lots more advice to give than I, but I so encourage you to know what is right for you, what is important for you and what you need to do to keep yourself safe.

I gotta go, my BPDh is up now.  I wish you all the best, Kasina, and keep sharing.

Welcome to bpdfamily!
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest