Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 24, 2024, 08:02:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things we can't ignore
What Does it Take to Be in a Relationship
Why We Struggle in Our Relationships
Is Your Relationship Breaking Down?
Codependency and Codependent Relationships
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Beginnings & Boundaries 3...  (Read 975 times)
MaroonLiquid

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: March 18, 2015, 11:57:17 AM »

This is a coninuation of the previous New Beginnings & Boundaries 2 thread found here... .https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=272410.0

So... .what steps can she take that would move your r/s forward... .towards reconciliation?

I realize you can't force her to take steps... .and heavy encouragement at this point might not be good either.

However.

I think that you should also think through and have a list of 4-5 things that you think are good.

If you ever see a chance to nudge in that direction... .take the opportunity.

This is "contingency planning".

1.  Our kids see us acting like a couple again, with PDA and spending time together and that's good.  Tell them we are working on our marriage and making strides toward reconciling.

2.  Start acting like a couple again (wear her wedding ring, be married on Facebook, let others know that we are spending time together, working toward reconciliation, etc) and not act like I'm some secret to people outside of our kids.

3.  Not just admit we need counseling, but actually go.

4.  Stop "kicking me to the curb" everytime things don't go her way.

5.  While in counseling, give my laptop back.

IMO... .the temperature seems to have been turned down a notch or two.

I agree here.  I've noticed that dysregulations are pretty mild in that we don't scream anymore (raise our voice at times, but nothing like it used to be), her silent treatments aren't near what they used to be in length or intensity (lasting now from a few hours to days) and we are becoming way more passionate toward one another again.  

"Missteps" seems to be fewer and further apart... .at least on your part.

Your key will be to find ways to work towards something better... .without getting disappointed or triggered by slow timing.

Thoughts?

I'm seeing my missteps now being caused by frustration and disappointment at times.  Frustration and disappointment in the sense that she knows the right thing, and still chooses the other option.  Frustration in the sense that she wants me to "pay" even though in the last 9 months, I have done the very best I can to make things better.  :)isappointment in the sense that she won't just be honest about stuff (even though I know that is typical of pwBPD).  

A couple of things I took note of the other day was regarding some things she said after the financial seminar thing.  I realize they're her bills and obviously not my problem.  But looking at it from another angle, I began to ponder some things.  She was saying how her car payment was higher on her vehicle with the interest rate she got because she didn't have the money to put down and didn't have all the "facts", possibly looking at another house when her lease is up, etc. and think she is trying to set it up for me to come back without a long drawn out thing.  After she told me about the car, house and stuff, I asked her, ":)o you realize how much better off we would be as a couple if we didn't have seperate households to pay for?"  Her response was, "Yeah, but I won't go back to the way things were."  I responded just like I always have, "I'm not asking you to, nor would I go back to that, which is why we need counseling."

PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

formflier
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 01:19:36 PM »

ML,

You are most likely on the mark with her missteps and frustrations... but... ultimately we will never know because we can't read minds... .(we'll leave that up to them... .)

Give us a list of your "missteps" and what you think the reason was that you did that... .

That can really work with... .because you can tell us what you were thinking and feeling. 

This will help us make better contingency plans for the future.

2nd thing.

I see why you or others would like your first two steps or goals... .but... .they involve others participation.

3 and 5 are the best ones... .because it's just you and her (ok... you got me... .and a counselor... so three!).

4... .  I would rather you express it as what you would like her to do... .rather than what not to do.   Try to stay positive.

Can you work on 1 and 2... .and express them in a way that involves you two... .I see where you are going with how you wrote it... .but try to keep it between you two.  The byproduct may be the same.

ff

MaroonLiquid

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 06:53:06 PM »

ML,

You are most likely on the mark with her missteps and frustrations... but... ultimately we will never know because we can't read minds... .(we'll leave that up to them... .)

Give us a list of your "missteps" and what you think the reason was that you did that... .

That can really work with... .because you can tell us what you were thinking and feeling. 

I misstep when she is in the middle of her dysrgulation and starts blaming me.  A few days ago I even caught myself and told her to hold on so that I could calm down.  A bit later, I raised my voice because she had pushed me too far.  I was mad, felt no way out of the conversation knowing I should have let it go earlier when it was somewhat dropped.  I want my voice heard WAY too much!  It comes from my mom who HAS to be heard. 

2nd thing.

I see why you or others would like your first two steps or goals... .but... .they involve others participation.

3 and 5 are the best ones... .because it's just you and her (ok... you got me... .and a counselor... so three!).

4... .  I would rather you express it as what you would like her to do... .rather than what not to do.   Try to stay positive.

Can you work on 1 and 2... .and express them in a way that involves you two... .I see where you are going with how you wrote it... .but try to keep it between you two.  The byproduct may be the same.

ff

1. Work together towards reconciliation by making plans for that and seeking counseling.

2. Wearing our wedding rings, showing married on Facebook and not having our relationship be "secret".  (The funny thing was her posting pictures from the boat over the weekend and she never posted or mentioned who was actually driving the boat.  Smiling (click to insert in post))
MaroonLiquid

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 10:08:59 AM »

ML,

I misstep when she is in the middle of her dysrgulation and starts blaming me.  A few days ago I even caught myself and told her to hold on so that I could calm down.  A bit later, I raised my voice because she had pushed me too far.  I was mad, felt no way out of the conversation knowing I should have let it go earlier when it was somewhat dropped.  I want my voice heard WAY too much!  It comes from my mom who HAS to be heard. 

2nd thing.

ff

1. Work together towards reconciliation by making plans for that and seeking counseling.

2. Wearing our wedding rings, showing married on Facebook and not having our relationship be "secret".  (The funny thing was her posting pictures from the boat over the weekend and she never posted or mentioned who was actually driving the boat.  Smiling (click to insert in post))

So my wife called me a few minutes ago and we were talking about our taxes.  The conversation was calm, and validated that our taxes need to be a priority.  I validated that working together will make a big difference and that we are in a much better place now to do that.  I also offered to pick up our daughter on the way to practice tonight and she said that I didn't have to nor was it my responsibility.  I told her that I know that she has a lot of deadlines, it is on my way and not a problem.  SHe said it would help her out and allow her to work.  She asked me what time I would be there and I told her.  At the end of the conversation, I asked her about having lunch this weekend at some point (she asked me Saturday night when I could take her out and I told her tonight but forgot about batting practice).  She told me she is "very busy this weekend" (cookie booths, church, etc) which seems to happen when she dysregulates on some level .  I guess it's her way of "fighting back" when I don't give in to her.  I then gave her the option of bringing lunch by her house tomorrow and she said, "No, I'm not interested in that."  I said, "Ok, no problem.  I'll see you tonight."  Back to that ridiculous stupidity.     

I saw my T yesterday and he told me that it sounds like my wife is doing much better and that we are on an uptick which is progress.  He validated how hard I've worked on myself, how much better I've been doing and that it is making a difference.  I told him we were intimate twice last week and the first time was rather "mechanical" as it usually is after a dysregulation.  He said that was normal, and asked me about the second time.  I told him it was amazing, intimate and about both of us.  He said it is obvious my wife loves me very much and her putting forth the effort to hug me when she got home last week was huge progress for her as compared to the last 9 months.  He also said that her wanting me to stay with the kids shows that she wants me a part of her and the kids life.  He validated my thoughts and feelings that I told my wife a few days ago that the bills are a symptom of the real issue.  I told him I felt they were a disguise, and what I felt they were to keep our marriage "a carrot" she could dangle and that it was unacceptable (which is what I told her).  He said that he was glad I told her that and that I'm expressing myself much better than I used to.  He did say that I was a tad off base about her reasoning for "dangling the carrot", but not by much.  He said that her bringing up the bills to "blow things up" every time was a disguise for the underlying issue.  He asked what I thought the underlying issue was and I said, "Our marriage."  He said, "No, think deeper".  I told him that I had no idea other than that.  He said, "It always comes back to her in her mind.  She knows you see a T.  She knows you are changing and all that's pretty much left is her.  She knows that dealing with "the marriage" means dealing with herself also.  Where this road leads scares her to death.  She keeps running, but runs back to you after a few days to a week because she loves you and you are safe"  I thought that was an interesting take.
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 10:24:07 AM »

Couple things.

T talk:  So... .if it really is about her (and likely is)... .what validation things can you have ready... .for when she starts saying she can't deal with her stuff... .won't... .it's too hard... .etc etc.

Please re-read the lessons on getting a loved one into therapy.  I've not read it in a while either. 

I'm not at all suggesting you start pushing this... .but it will eventually come up... .and you want to be ready.  She may still not go... .but I would hope that could be her issue... .vice you handing her an excuse because you handled something improperly.

2nd:  I didn't even think about taxes.  Are you going to file jointly with her?  It's what it sounds like?

Where will the money be deposited... .how will it be split.

Remember... .money talks are filled with triggers for you!  Not to mention her. 

Is this a point where you want to put the ball in her court... .

"I will be happy to file jointly with you in conjunction with participation in MC or we can file separately."

You have been pretty clear that you want to act like a couple... .even when it doesn't "benefit" her.  What I want to avoid is you filing jointly with her and ending up "feeling used"... .or with no benefits.

Thoughts?

MaroonLiquid

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 10:28:21 AM »

Couple things.

T talk:  So... .if it really is about her (and likely is)... .what validation things can you have ready... .for when she starts saying she can't deal with her stuff... .won't... .it's too hard... .etc etc.

I can validate that I will help her any way that I am able and will be there for her.  I think there is going to come a moment (and believe it already has to some degree) that it makes no sense for us to live apart.

Please re-read the lessons on getting a loved one into therapy.  I've not read it in a while either.  

I'm not at all suggesting you start pushing this... .but it will eventually come up... .and you want to be ready.  She may still not go... .but I would hope that could be her issue... .vice you handing her an excuse because you handled something improperly.

I will re-read those today.

2nd:  I didn't even think about taxes.  Are you going to file jointly with her?  It's what it sounds like?

Where will the money be deposited... .how will it be split.

Remember... .money talks are filled with triggers for you!  Not to mention her.  

Is this a point where you want to put the ball in her court... .

"I will be happy to file jointly with you in conjunction with participation in MC or we can file separately."

You have been pretty clear that you want to act like a couple... .even when it doesn't "benefit" her.  What I want to avoid is you filing jointly with her and ending up "feeling used"... .or with no benefits.

Thoughts?

Honestly, it doesn't matter how we file, we are going to owe just like we have for several years and are dealing with the IRS about.  Something we are going to have to work through together.
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 12:29:38 PM »

Hmmm... .taxes.  So... you guys are going to have to pay... .vice get money back?  I'm curious why it doesn't matter which way you file.  Normally... .married filing jointly gets a bigger tax advantage.  Do you use a CPA?

If you are talking about moving back in together... .what are the conditions under which you will do that? 

Would you move back in with her... .without any MC? 

When you reread the lessons... .how does that affect your strategy to get her into T of some sort?  What is the plan?

KateCat

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2015, 12:41:00 PM »

Would there be any downside to saying exactly this? Could you use this statement and then follow up with some of those fine "help me understand" clarifications if necessary? 

MaroonLiquid

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2015, 01:13:10 PM »

Hmmm... .taxes.  So... you guys are going to have to pay... .vice get money back?  I'm curious why it doesn't matter which way you file.  Normally... .married filing jointly gets a bigger tax advantage.  :)o you use a CPA?

Yes, we will have to pay.  We are in a high tax bracket with both of our incomes.

If you are talking about moving back in together... .what are the conditions under which you will do that?  

First, we would need to be actively in MC, not with the "agreement" that we will start.  I'm not trying to force her hand, but don't want to go back to the way it was (says that is what she wants also) or have her act "ok" for a while and then revert.

Second, need to act married (wearing wedding ring, making the kids aware we are working on it, etc).

Finally, would have to move into a house that is mutually agreed upon, certainly not the one she is in now.

When you reread the lessons... .how does that affect your strategy to get her into T of some sort?  What is the plan?

Just continue to reinforce that it will help "us" and our r/s to be able to have a qualified third-party mediate on major things that hinder healthy communication between us.  I really haven't forced her or tried to manipulate her into counseling for most of the 9 months.  I know it doesn't help.

Would there be any downside to saying exactly this? Could you use this statement and then follow up with some of those fine "help me understand" clarifications if necessary?  

The problem I have with this approach is my wife sees this as a "manipulation" tactic, and she would know as she is a master at it.  Tried that late last year to horrible results.  Since I have backed off tremendously of trying to force her hand, manipulate or negotiate, things have slowly gotten better and things have worked themselves out "naturally" at times.  For instance, with the car situation, once I got over the original anger of her "taking" my car and "trading" me (gave me no choice), I let it go.  I realized I had transportation and also ascribe to the Biblical principal of "You reap what you sow".  After a few months, I got in an accident (other person's fault), totalled it and actually came out ahead and better than if my wife had been sensible in the first place and traded it in before that happened.  

I have come to realize in the last 9 months, if my wife thinks something is important to me, it becomes "important" to her and a way for her to continue poor behavior and try and manipulate.  I just assume not give her that power and exactly why I haven't mentioned my Macbook in months.  She doesn't have the charger for it, can't use it, and can't sell it because it is locked with a code that only I know (I locked it remotely).  What has happened is she has screwed herself from her dysregulated decision over and over again during the last 9 months.  To me, that is a lesson I could never teach her and something she has to deal with on her own.
KateCat

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2015, 01:40:32 PM »

Geez, this is a tough situation.

Do you have any little sneaking feeling that your wife can go on like this indefinitely? That maybe she's not nearly as uncomfortable with this general state of affairs as you are and maybe also the kids are?
MaroonLiquid

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2015, 01:51:23 PM »

Geez, this is a tough situation.

Do you have any little sneaking feeling that your wife can go on like this indefinitely? That maybe she's not nearly as uncomfortable with this general state of affairs as you are and maybe also the kids are?

I believe for the first 6 months of this separation, she was definitely "comfortable" as she had a lot of things her way.  Now with almost all of the bill separated and her paying her own car note and house note, she is feeling the pinch as she told me last weekend.  She told me that she is looking at maybe a cheaper car and rent payment (may have been bluffing to get me to feel sorry for her and rescue her and believe that is part of it) which I am sure now is starting to eat her lunch.  She even agreed with me that we would be way better off financially if we were living together.  She is starting to see what all I did provide but isn't ready to admit it yet.
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2015, 04:03:54 PM »

I'm not suggesting you use the "manipulation" tactic now (and I don't agree it is a manipulation)... .but... .you need to practice and get ready for when the opportunity comes... .my gut says it will show up.  As she takes a hard look at her choices... .financially... .I think that will force her hand.  Just my guess.

Giving someone clear choices in an effort to find a mutually agreeable compromise is not a manipulation... .you don't need to argue with her over it... .just don't believe her version.

Are you planning on filing jointly with her?  Do you use a CPA?

MaroonLiquid

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2015, 06:06:18 PM »

I'm not suggesting you use the "manipulation" tactic now (and I don't agree it is a manipulation)... .but... .you need to practice and get ready for when the opportunity comes... .my gut says it will show up.  As she takes a hard look at her choices... .financially... .I think that will force her hand.  Just my guess.

Giving someone clear choices in an effort to find a mutually agreeable compromise is not a manipulation... .you don't need to argue with her over it... .just don't believe her version.

Are you planning on filing jointly with her?  Do you use a CPA?

I think it will show up too!  What do you mean by practice?  I'm not sure what we are going to do yet.  We are going to talk to a CPA. 

She texted and said our daughter was sick and wouldn't be at practice tonight.  I asked her if it would be okay if I came by and saw her after practice to check on her and my wife texted back, "No".   .  I didn't respond.  I thought about asking her, "Can you help me to understand why you don't want me to come over?" and I just figured she wouldn't respond so I let it go.  I just texted my daughter and said, "Your mom told me you wouldn't be at practice because you aren't feeling well.  I hope you feel better.  I love you."  She responded and said, "Thanks".  Kind of took it out of my wife's hands at that point.
Grey Kitty

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Separated

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2015, 07:27:38 PM »

Maroon, I'm thinking about your situation here... .I know you hope to reconcile with your wife, but I also know that you want to see a lot of progress on her part before you would move in, etc., and she isn't showing much interest in even starting such things.

I'm thinking that any pressure to do that on your part is going to cause problems, and not help much.

You also want to be a father to her kids. Even though you have been a father to them, you do not have much legal standing--you have very little in the way of either rights or obligations with them legally.

Your current status is a weird kind of limbo--living separately, legally married, with 98% separate finances. With other people, your wife is acting as if you don't exist in her life, or her kids life, wherever she can pull it off. Where you can pull it off, you are acting like you are still married. You are wearing a ring. She isn't.

I think this limbo status serves her pretty well. It did even better when you were still enmeshed and supporting her financially more than you are now. If you chase her, she can either run away or smack you down, which works somewhat for her. The financial realities are harder on her than on you, but she can at least blame you for some of them.

When you look at how this limbo option works for you, remember to compare it to the options available to you TODAY. A: Limbo. B: Divorce. C: Move back in with your wife exactly as she is, giving you at least the silent treatment, if not outright abuse, trying to manipulate you, trying to take advantage of you financially, and not in any kind of therapy or even acknowledging that she has a problem she needs to work on! (Besides, your wife isn't even making option C available to you!)

As a parent, this limbo status is probably your best option. If you were to file for divorce, it would upset her... .and she would withhold her kids from you more than she is now.

As a guy who wants to reconcile with her, it is probably your best option too... .and your policy of not chasing her so much seems to be working--it is letting her decide whether she wants to be with you or not on her own.

So what about taxes, especially considering how you are living... .are you seriously considering filing jointly with her? Think about it.

• Money issues are triggering for her, especially when they involve you. Almost guaranteed to trigger her.

• Either you or FF suggested involving a MC in order to do joint taxes with her... .and you can't get her into MC already!

• Your finances are already separated. You have all the info to do taxes, without talking to her.

• If you file separately, all you have to do is send her a one line email: "I'm going to file my taxes separately for 2014."

KateCat

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2015, 08:53:15 PM »

She texted and said our daughter was sick and wouldn't be at practice tonight.  I asked her if it would be okay if I came by and saw her after practice to check on her and my wife texted back, "No".

This might make me think that your wife is hunkering down for a long siege of push/pull struggle. (And not so much that she's about to fold under financial pressures.)

Is there any other way you can approach the issue of your relationship with her children at this time? Would your individual counselor have any ideas?
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2015, 10:51:33 PM »

I think it will show up too!  What do you mean by practice?  I'm not sure what we are going to do yet.  We are going to talk to a CPA. 

By practice... .I mean actually say the words... .maybe talk to yourself while looking in the mirror.  Make sure the words come out even and factual... .  Remember... pwBPD traits are very perceptive... .you don't want to give off any kind of "got you where I want you attitude"

You need to be truly giving her options

If you want me to do X... .I'm willing to do that under the following conditions.

I'm also ok with doing Y. 

Be ready for her to "do her thing"... .accuse... be triggered... etc etc...

CPA:

Good to think about involving professionals.  I gave up doing my own taxes years ago... .and I'm much better off for it... IMO.

So... .am I correct that you guys have discussed filing taxes jointly... .and have agreed to meet with a CPA to discuss this and possibly other options?

How does this plan for taxes work with your hopes for reconciliation?

What is different about taxes that the situation with the car?

Same question but washer dryer instead of car?

Do some risk analysis here... .let us know your thoughts on the results.  Chances that doing taxes together will end up being a positive thing?  Chances that doing taxes together will be triggering and result in either or both of you saying things that are unpleasant and unhelpful for reconciliation.

Hang in there... .

Oh yeah... .one last thought/question?

Did your relationship get better by getting rid of joint enmeshment issues over the car?  I just want to make sure I understand if that was a positive or negative move... .from your point of view.

MaroonLiquid

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2015, 11:34:22 PM »

Oh yeah... .one last thought/question?

Did your relationship get better by getting rid of joint enmeshment issues over the car?  I just want to make sure I understand if that was a positive or negative move... .from your point of view.

I'm thinking on your previous questions, but to answer this one.  I definitely think getting rid of the joint enmesh meant issues over the cars has helped.  It put us on very even ground and responsible for our own car notes.  Before, she could make excuses, hold it over my head and stall to keep from getting another car because it benefitted her greatly financially to have me pay both obviously.  I truly believe she sees quite a few things differently now having a big car note that she's responsible for.  I think a major sticking point with her is I am much better at saying, "No!"
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2015, 11:39:13 PM »

Good... .that was my understanding of the outcome of the "car thing" as well.

I'm going to give you my opinion on the patterns that I see... .please evaluate... .and see if you are seeing the same thing.

IMO... .when you have taken steps to disentagle yourself from your wife's finances... .you and she ultimately end up in a  "better place".

Yes... she usually blames and does something along those lines... .but when the impact of your "no" wears off... and she is over her dysreg... .things seem to get better.

Are you seeing the same pattern?  Same analysis? 

MaroonLiquid

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2015, 09:48:32 AM »

Good... .that was my understanding of the outcome of the "car thing" as well.

I'm going to give you my opinion on the patterns that I see... .please evaluate... .and see if you are seeing the same thing.

IMO... .when you have taken steps to disentagle yourself from your wife's finances... .you and she ultimately end up in a  "better place".

Yes... she usually blames and does something along those lines... .but when the impact of your "no" wears off... and she is over her dysreg... .things seem to get better.

Are you seeing the same pattern?  Same analysis?  

That is exactly the pattern I see.  She HATES when I don't do what she wants, and that creates the silent treatment "extinction burst" thinking that I'll give in.  She is learning quicker each time (started when I didn't give her the money for the Christmas present I bought her and she wanted me to return) and starting to realize I'm not this pushover I once was.  And as you said, when that "No" wears off and she regulates her emotions, its almost like we are a couple again and we start talking about a future again... .I've said for a while that a divorce is not what she wants.  I think the big issue is she can't figure out how to entagle herself out of the web she has spun for 9 months.  Her telling me a few months ago that she doesn't want to have to explain herself to people was very telling and showed she is still worried about what people think about her and if they find out the truth.  Yet, I'm the calm one (99% of the time  Smiling (click to insert in post), but way different than I used to be) and a comfort to her.  My T agreed.
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2015, 11:44:17 AM »

So... .we are in agreement that the same pattern is happening... .it seems like we are seeing the same thing.

So... .why change the pattern? 

Things are getting better... .right?

Grey Kitty

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2015, 12:22:18 PM »

That is exactly the pattern I see.  She HATES when I don't do what she wants, and that creates the silent treatment "extinction burst" thinking that I'll give in.  She is learning quicker each time... .

You might want to re-write your description of that pattern in your head--half of it is her ACTIONS, which you can observe, and half of it is her FEELINGS/THOUGHTS, which you are speculating on. I'm not saying that you are wrong. I'm going to propose another way of looking at it that will help you, which has all the same actions, but slightly different feelings/thoughts (the part you can't actually see)

She HATES when you don't do what she wants. She creates distance (i.e. not responding to texts/emails/phone calls, etc.) so she won't have to feel those uncomfortable feelings that are coming up.

MaroonLiquid

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2015, 02:32:38 PM »

So... .we are in agreement that the same pattern is happening... .it seems like we are seeing the same thing.

So... .why change the pattern? 

Things are getting better... .right?

We are in agreement!  And yes, things are getting better, so no need to change the pattern.

She HATES when you don't do what she wants. She creates distance (i.e. not responding to texts/emails/phone calls, etc.) so she won't have to feel those uncomfortable feelings that are coming up.

That is excellent and I totally agree!
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2015, 09:38:34 PM »

OK... .so you don't want to change the pattern... .but you are considering doing taxes together?

"Help me understand... ."  (sorry... couldn't resist using my line)

MaroonLiquid

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2015, 02:07:09 PM »

OK... .so you don't want to change the pattern... .but you are considering doing taxes together?

"Help me understand... ."  (sorry... couldn't resist using my line)

I don't mean to sound like an idiot, but how is doing taxes changing the pattern?  Is it because it's do my it together and not staying separate?
Grey Kitty

« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2015, 04:06:28 PM »

Joint taxes  = getting into conversations (dysregulations?) with her about money.

Married filing separately = No discussion of money with her, besides telling her that you will file that way.

Do you really *think* you can talk with her about taxes and not have the washer/dryer come up?
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2015, 06:45:19 PM »

The pattern as I see it is that every time you separate finances you eventually get to a better place.

Discussions of together finance issues "always" send you guys to a worse place... .

I hate to use the "always" word... .but... .isn't that actually true in this case?

So... .you want to take your r/s to a better place... .the tax choice is obvious... .if you are following the pattern.

There may be other ways to look at it... .I'm all for that... .but... .the pattern seems clear

ff

MaroonLiquid

« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2015, 11:01:52 PM »

The pattern as I see it is that every time you separate finances you eventually get to a better place.

Discussions of together finance issues "always" send you guys to a worse place... .

I hate to use the "always" word... .but... .isn't that actually true in this case?

So... .you want to take your r/s to a better place... .the tax choice is obvious... .if you are following the pattern.

There may be other ways to look at it... .I'm all for that... .but... .the pattern seems clear

ff

Yeah, I figured that is what you meant.  A part of me fights this feeling that I've had since the beginning that the more we separate the more "final" things become.

I sent out a softball team email today (haven't communicated since Friday that our daughter wouldn't be at practice) and my wife responds that our daughter isn't showing up to practice tomorrow (again).  She posted on Facebook today about how "good her life is".   .  When she does this, this is usually the time in the cycle of her crap when she is feeling down on herself and is trying to make herself feel better and missing me.  What I also notice is that when she tries to communicate at first after her dysregulations, it's always an attempt for negative attention.  Not sure why, but just saying what I notice.  I know that the last two practices (Thursday and Friday) last week our daughter wasn't feeling well and validated that with no response from my wife (even asking if I could bring our daughter a milkshake).  A part of me doesn't want to respond because it feels like she is trying to "start something".  A part of me wants to respond and just say, "OK, thanks for letting me know."  Thoughts?
123Phoebe
Staying and Undecided

« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2015, 06:39:14 AM »

I sent out a softball team email today (haven't communicated since Friday that our daughter wouldn't be at practice) and my wife responds that our daughter isn't showing up to practice tomorrow (again).  

A part of me doesn't want to respond because it feels like she is trying to "start something".  A part of me wants to respond and just say, "OK, thanks for letting me know."  Thoughts?

Frustrating and confusing, for sure.  In a situation like this, I'd want to keep it as simple as possible.  If any other parent responded to your softball team email, that their daughter would not be showing up to practice (again), how would you respond?

ff

Yeah, I figured that is what you meant.  A part of me fights this feeling that I've had since the beginning that the more we separate the more "final" things become.

And the more "real" they become, also.  Accepting things as they are, now, not how we wish they were and acting from a place of wishfulness and wistfulness.

She posted on Facebook today about how "good her life is".   .  When she does this, this is usually the time in the cycle of her crap when she is feeling down on herself and is trying to make herself feel better and missing me. What I also notice is that when she tries to communicate at first after her dysregulations, it's always an attempt for negative attention.  Not sure why, but just saying what I notice. 

Are you basing your relationship dynamics on what she posts on Facebook?  I so wish you'd step away from her FB and let yourself feel your way through this, with what's actually in front of you, not a screen(!) and not of the musings of a disordered mind and attaching to that.

I'm sorry if that's blunt. 

If I inserted myself into the rambling thoughts of my partner, I'd go mad!  We are separate people, individuals.  Thank goodness!

MaroonLiquid

« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2015, 08:18:50 AM »

Frustrating and confusing, for sure.  In a situation like this, I'd want to keep it as simple as possible.  If any other parent responded to your softball team email, that their daughter would not be showing up to practice (again), how would you respond?

Blunt?  Is that what you call it Pheebs?    Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)  It's alright, we all need a dose of reality every once in a while... .Anyway.  I would normally respond with, "Ok.  Thanks for letting me know." on a first or second offense.  How I choose to handle it in this instance (knowing she has been sick) is saying, "Ok.  Thanks for letting me know.  Is she still sick?"

And the more "real" they become, also.  Accepting things as they are, now, not how we wish they were and acting from a place of wishfulness and wistfulness.

I feel that is almost sending mixed messages on my part and my biggest issue.  Advice I have been given is to, "Make sure your actions back up your words."  What I mean by that is I am trying to show that I want things to work out, and yet by continuing to "separate" things, doesn't that send the other message?  I am trying to be the "even keel" person in the r/s and show that, regardless of what has transpired, that I still love her, that we can get through this together, and want what's best for us, our kids and our r/s.  I also know that she has to want the same things, and believe she does somewhere outside of her illness or she would have already filed if that is what she truly wanted. 

Are you basing your relationship dynamics on what she posts on Facebook? 

I wouldn't necessarily say that.  As before, it helps knowing the cycle of her disordered mind.  Do I base my thoughts and actions on what she posts or her disordered mind?  No.  I do feel that I am "feeling" my way through this and it is uncomfortable.  Most of the time, I am ok with the way things are at the moment.  We are on somewhat "common ground" with our own lives and our own bills and things have gotten better.  Sometimes, I feel like I'm in a "no-win" and want to "blow it up" and tell her she either gets help or we're through.  I know two things:  First, I can't base my life off of feelings.  Feelings almost always lead you astray and why pwBPD are so out there at times.  Second, I have to have respect for myself that says, "I won't put up with this anymore."  I told her last time, " I feel like our r/s is a carrot you are dangling.  If I "pay this", then you'll "begin to trust me and we can begin to move forward".  Yet, so far, I have compromised many times in 9 months and yet, I don't see you making the same concessions.  I'm not ok with our marriage being used as a carrot to get your way anymore."  I felt good for saying that even though it pissed her off.  I am much stronger than I used to be.  Honestly, I am close to laying down the ultimatum that says, "We either start counseling (within a time frame) and work toward reconciling in earnest, or I'm filing for divorce".  And no, it wouldn't be a threat.  I won't wait around forever.  I wouldn't have said that 6 months ago, except out of anger. 
123Phoebe
Staying and Undecided

« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2015, 08:33:39 AM »

Fair enough.

I can't base my life off of feelings.  Feelings almost always lead you astray and why pwBPD are so out there at times. 

Do you remember how you were feeling before checking out her Facebook page?  What prompted you to look at it?
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest