Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 20, 2024, 08:26:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My life in the dumpster  (Read 390 times)
SeaShellz

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: March 20, 2015, 01:45:22 PM »

I am starting to realize the problem here and it's that I won't leave and end it for good with him.

There are a few great things about our relationship and I do believe that he's a good person at heart, but I am sacrificing MY whole life here for someone who lies, cheats, and steals.

I have spent hours here reading about his problem but maybe the real problem is that I am still with him. I am an understanding and sensitive person. I love him dearly. I have a great amount of sympathy for him. I am still in love with him, but I absolutely HATE the way he acts when he's in his negative, miserable, or angry moods. I have depression myself and I do not want to be brought down by anyone else any longer!

I have never felt such a connection with anyone but I am pretty sure I'll be held down all my life never doing the things I want to do like go to school, have a few friends I can hang out with (without him being right there) and spend more time with my aging mother. He takes all my time outside of work.

I feel like an idiot most of the time for being with someone who has cheated on me twice, lies constantly, and just simply cant understand logic. No one I know truly understands him or what's going on.

We have recycled 3 times in our 4 year relationship and this last time, things were good for about 3 months until he stopped taking his meds and the negative angry monster came back. I am understanding and patient with him most of the time but I'll admit, sometimes he really makes me see red and I let him have it. But that doesn't help. Nothing helps.

When I think of my future, I don't see him in it. When I think of leaving, I remember how it will get. He will destroy the car while I'm packing my things and if I try to protect the car, he will lock me out and I won't be able to get my things. The cops always have to be involved and the neighbors always stare. I knew all this before letting him come back. I get really down on myself when I realize I have made this chaos possible once again.
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

ColdEthyl

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married 2 years

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 02:36:59 PM »

I am so sorry seashellz that you are going through this. I have worried about the same thing if I ever leave, he's going to destroy something. He did it to his ex... .trashed her house.

It sounds like you have made your mind up. Is that right? If so, looks like the only thing to do is make the exit plan. Does he work?
SeaShellz

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 11:32:38 AM »

No ColdEthyl, he does not work. He is on disability for his mental disorder. It is very hard to get away from him outside of going to work... .which he doesnt like me to do either. I have made up my mind about what I SHOULD do... .but my feet arent going in that direction.  
SeaShellz

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 11:39:22 AM »

I don't want to walk away from him. I know he will struggle his whole life and there are people that will take advantage of him and hurt him, but I feel like I'm loving him more than myself for making this sacrifice. I don't know where the line is on what he does on purpose and what he can't help. But things are not very fair to me and I know I have to just stop taking care of him and let go.
ColdEthyl

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 11:45:33 AM »

I totally understand how you feel. Have you had a chance to read the lessons on this site? It's a great place to start. The biggest hurdle we as nons have is communication with our SO's. Have you experienced issues where you are trying to talk and it feels like you guys are both speaking a different language?

Maybe you are not ready to leave yet. Would you like to try to stay if things could be improved?
SeaShellz

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 01:25:06 PM »

I have read a couple of things on this site and I will read more. I have also read many many websites about BPD and I'm halfway through the book I Hate You, Don't Leave Me.

It does seem like sometimes when we talk, we are speaking different languages. Sometimes I feel like he's not listening. Sometimes he doesn't understand what I am saying or doesn't seem interested.

I would love to stay if things could be improved. When we are not having trouble getting along, he is a great companion.

He has a serious alcohol and marijuana addiction and seems to really not be able to tolerate not having one or the other. He lies to his therapist about this. I do not want to be around that all the time and it's driving me crazy that he can't go without it for a day or two.
ColdEthyl

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 01:57:43 PM »

I have read a couple of things on this site and I will read more. I have also read many many websites about BPD and I'm halfway through the book I Hate You, Don't Leave Me.

It does seem like sometimes when we talk, we are speaking different languages. Sometimes I feel like he's not listening. Sometimes he doesn't understand what I am saying or doesn't seem interested.

I would love to stay if things could be improved. When we are not having trouble getting along, he is a great companion.

He has a serious alcohol and marijuana addiction and seems to really not be able to tolerate not having one or the other. He lies to his therapist about this. I do not want to be around that all the time and it's driving me crazy that he can't go without it for a day or two.

Yeah that's a whole nother beast, and one I am not prepared to tackle yet. My H drinks almost daily. It's going to be my next hurdle after I get some more of the communication stuff down. Substance abuse is common with pwBPD. My H says he drinks because it slows his brain down. He said he feels like he has 1,000 thoughts going at the same time all the time.

Have you tried any of the communication tools yet? Do you have any specific examples on communication that didn't go well? We can help dissect one of those conversations and identify some of the problems Smiling (click to insert in post)
an0ught
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner
Relationship status: married

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2015, 12:08:37 PM »

Hi SeaShellz,

reading and understanding is providing a first boost of relief. Further reading and understanding can increase frustration unless the learning is accompanied by practical skill application. From what you wrote you struggle to full understand each other. In the short run he won't improve his ability to express himself so you have to learn his language. Validation is the key to get a better sense of what a pwBPD is expressing and intending. Formulating validating statements is key to get ourselves heard by the pwBPD. Try to experiment with validation and leverage the board here to aid your learning.

Alcohol can be a serious problem (M to a lesser extent) as it lowers boundaries and is not helpful for therapy.

Writing is self validation. Writing on bpdfamily is self validation squared!
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest