Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 04:40:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Depression = 72% of members
Take the test, read about the implications, and check out the remedies.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Confronting my husband about BPD  (Read 344 times)
Omie
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: March 24, 2015, 03:19:04 PM »

My husband functions beautifully socially and at work. He is also a wonderful father in many ways. But to me, I know there is a serious disorder. It has been 15 years of trying to solve  inconsistancy, rage, manipulation, self affliction, self created confusion, denial, etc. There have been many sparks of light along the way in which he sees himself alittle bit. But now he has a therapist who vvalidates his and he believes with a complete heart that I am the source of all our marital problems. I need support and I need direction. Do I keep trying to confront him with the hope that he can see himself or give up and get a life. We have three kids and I love his many good qualities and his dedication to me and the family.
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

ColdEthyl

Relationship status: Married 2 years

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 03:31:21 PM »

Hello and welcome!

First of all, I'm sorry you are suffering. We all know what it's like to be in a r/s with pwBPD. The very first piece of advice I try to give newcomers is do NOT try to talk to them about their BPD, it will cause rages. pwBPD have incredible amounts of self-loathing and shame, and bring up 'imperfections' will cause him to lash out to protect himself.

The second piece of advice is to say take the time to read the lessons here, and do NOT let him know about the website. Same reason.

What I want to tell you is you are not alone, and we are all here to support each other Smiling (click to insert in post) The biggest hurdle is learning how to communicate with our pwBPD in an effect manner and not taking their dysregulations personally. For a pwBPD, feelings=facts, and what they say they believe at the time... .but that can change within minutes.

What exactly does he think is your fault?
formflier
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 05:18:53 PM »

Welcome to BPD family.  We can help.

Couple of quick thoughts.

The therapist may be "validating" your husbands feeling that "it's all your fault"... .vice agreeing with him.

Is this your husbands therapist?  Or a joint MC (marriage counselor). 

Can you take some time and write out what a "confrontation" with your husband looks like... .lots of detail will help.

ColdEthyl has pointed you to the lessons... .that is a great place to start... .post questions back here... .

Looking forward to your next post!  You are in the right place!

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest