Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 29, 2024, 06:22:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
How to communicate after a contentious divorce... Following a contentious divorce and custody battle, there are often high emotion and tensions between the parents. Research shows that constant and chronic conflict between the parents negatively impacts the children. The children sense their parents anxiety in their voice, their body language and their parents behavior. Here are some suggestions from Dean Stacer on how to avoid conflict.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: no responses  (Read 339 times)
rarsweet

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: March 25, 2015, 09:30:02 PM »

So in the last 6 weeks I emailed the ex telling him dd has a dentist appointments, pointed out that I have all the holidays, birthdays, etc, just because of our rotating schedule up until final hearing in September, told him I was willing to share those days to be fair, asked him if he would like to come to dd's infant development screening in 2 weeks, he has not responded to any email since February. We exchange dd every 3 days. Should I just let my emails go? I am guessing he will ask me the day before each holiday to have dd and then make me the bad guy if I say " no I offered 2 months ago."
Panda39

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex
Relationship status: SO and I have been together 9 years and have just moved in together this summer.

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 10:09:11 PM »

You offered... .he has not responded, I wouldn't push it. He's a grown up either he wants to see your daughter or he doesn't.   If after a period of time he doesn't respond,  I would send a follow up email telling him that since you haven't heard from him you will be going back to the original schedule.  Follow up so you can make your own plans and so you can document that the offer was taken off the table.

"Have you ever looked fear in the face and just said, I just don't care" -Pink
Sunfl0wer
`

Relationship status: He moved out mid March

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 11:22:53 PM »

My bf exwife would do this intentionally.  She didn't want to commit to things ahead of time as she preferred to create last minute desperation drama.  I told my bf at the time that we needed to set a boundary around this, decide together a #of days prior to the upcoming break to offer a change, and then stick with it.  For example, I think we did two weeks. We told her that we were making plans and needed two weeks notice of any request of change in schedule for our own schedules.  (The real reason was for D to feel stability but we dare not express this as she would think we were undermining her parenting) If she could not make a schedule change request two weeks in advance, then we reminded he that we needed two weeks notice and we stuck to that.  If she did ask ahead, then we tried to accommodate within reason.  That helped our sanity... .just a wee bit.  We eventually had this written in our PP to include a notorized letter provided by her of any agreed change as she liked to draw it all out and mess with times, locations and change every single bit she could.

How wrong it is for a woman to expect the man to build the world she wants, rather than to create it herself.~Anais Nin
livednlearned
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 11:41:17 AM »

I would let the emails go.

You will always have to be the responsible person in this dynamic -- you have to do twice as much as his less than half in order to create something manageable for yourself.

You were reasonable, and offered to work this out. He is not able to right now. If he wants to create last-minute drama, you can always set a boundary early, and stick to it consistently, until he learns that you are serious.

Or you can revisit closer to the date, knowing this will probably come up.

I found that the predictable nature of my ex made it very easy to guess what would happen. If I offered something, he figured there was a secret agenda. Because his nature is to be contrary to me at all costs, I knew that whatever I offered, no matter how much I might be thinking about him, he would say no.

Breathe.
momtara

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 12:27:24 PM »

Ugh, what is it about them not committing to dates? I think it gives them pressure or anxiety. If they really do have the emotions of a 3-year-old, thinking far ahead is not in their list of talents. I know also that if a date or holiday was important to me, he'd manipulate by not committing. You could send a text too. I know the advice here is to let it go, but I guess I was like you, I didn't want to be asked about this at the last minute.

In our agreement we have specified where ex has to notify me x time before each weekend whether he is taking the kids or his plans are changing. Unfortunately we compromised on only 24 hours' notice but he usually takes them so it's not a big issue right now. It was an issue before we set it all in stone.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest