Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 29, 2024, 04:01:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: great discussions always lead to disaster.  (Read 398 times)
Rockylove

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: March 27, 2015, 10:01:07 PM »

This evening all seemed to be going well and it felt right to discuss some issues.  He was expressing as well as he could the need to talk about some issues.  The stroke has been difficult.  He's struggled to communicate.  I told him that I wasn't going to tolerate the nonsense about him telling me to get out if I don't do what he says.  We were actually communicating well until he couldn't come up with an answer to my question about why he continually tells me to get out.  I let it go and told him just go to bed.  I'll be sleeping in my studio so I can get a good night's sleep.  Too much to tell as to why I can't sleep with him, but he gets it.  It didn't end the way I'd hoped, but he understands that I love him even though I don't like the things he does.  Progress?
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Grey Kitty

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Separated

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 10:52:38 PM »

Uhm... .did you think he could give you a decent answer as to why he does something that irrational?

OffRoad

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 11:21:30 PM »

What did you say you would do if he told you to "get out" again? Did you set a specific boundary for that? 
Rapt Reader
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: married

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 10:37:15 AM »

We were actually communicating well until he couldn't come up with an answer to my question about why he continually tells me to get out.  I let it go and told him just go to bed.  I'll be sleeping in my studio so I can get a good night's sleep.  Too much to tell as to why I can't sleep with him, but he gets it.  It didn't end the way I'd hoped, but he understands that I love him even though I don't like the things he does.  Progress?

Not really being in your shoes, Rockylove, but being married to someone who is old enough to have a stroke (though I don't expect that) and who also has BPD traits, I think if he felt useless and unable to communicate with anyone very efficiently, I could expect him to tell me to "get out" at times when he was so frustrated and down on himself and his abilities.

In my mind, if it were my own Husband, I would see it as his either being too frustrated to want to try to make things better anymore, or maybe his feeble attempts to "save me" from his affliction and troubles. My Husband would probably look at my "getting out" as a means of having a better life without him.

And I doubt he would ever really believe that I would actually desert him by doing this "getting out"; it would just make him feel better to say it. I would probably just validate his feelings about it (if, indeed, all that I'm saying is shown to be true), and sympathize without questioning why he's telling me that.

It's good that he understands that you love him, even if you don't like the things that he does or says. Does it feel like progress to you? That would be good... .

formflier
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 02:58:18 PM »

I try to have a little bit of a "meet in the middle" strategy.  I do push hard for better conversation and answers... .but... .when something whacky comes out... .I really try to not take it personally.

So... I guess I meet more on her side... .but... .   Being cool (click to insert in post)

waverider
Retired Staff

Relationship status: married 8 yrs, together 16yrs

If YOU don't change, things will stay the same

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2015, 05:56:49 AM »

Sometimes its just a case of stop bugging me/get out of my face frustration, with a bit of BPD black and white extremism translating it into 'get out/leave me"

Reality is shared and open to debate, feelings are individual and real
Rockylove

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2015, 07:32:16 PM »

Sometimes its just a case of stop bugging me/get out of my face frustration, with a bit of BPD black and white extremism translating it into 'get out/leave me"

I think you're right, waverider.  He told me yesterday that I didn't have to quit smoking but that he really needed to.  I told him that I'd be respectful and supportive of his decision.  I need to quit too, but I'm not going to do it just because he's pressuring me.  He has so many fears, but fear is nothing new to me.  I just have to find the right way to convey my fears without him using them against me in anger.  I'm up for the challenge now.  I'm feeling better since the weather's changed.
waverider
Retired Staff

Relationship status: married 8 yrs, together 16yrs

If YOU don't change, things will stay the same

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2015, 07:43:41 PM »

I'm feeling better since the weather's changed.

Funny how this has an effect Being cool (click to insert in post) Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

Last night I was feeling a little down and taking things personally, todays weather forceast for tomorrow is for perfect kayaking weather and suddenly last nights nonsense seem so pffft!

Dont you hate it when enjoying life gets in the way of a bit of navel gazing Smiling (click to insert in post)

Reality is shared and open to debate, feelings are individual and real
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest