Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 20, 2024, 01:43:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
VIDEO: "What is parental alienation?" Parental alienation is when a parent allows a child to participate or hear them degrade the other parent. This is not uncommon in divorces and the children often adjust. In severe cases, however, it can be devastating to the child. This video provides a helpful overview.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The B/U seems to hit our exBPD's later, while we process immediately.  (Read 571 times)
LimboFL

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: March 28, 2015, 06:50:51 AM »

Having scoured this board, over the last 4 months, what seems a constant is that our exBPD's get hit with whatever feelings they have, much later than we do.

If they have a replacement then that clearly has an impact on things but often times their delayed emotions happen while still with the replacement. Even as things got more difficult with my exBPD, which wasn't too far into the relationship, it didn't result in a delayed reaction to my divorce from my ex wife, whom I spent 20 years with. Once I felt nothing for my ex wife, I felt nothing and the case was closed.

We get hit very quickly with a barrage of emotions that may or may not last a very long time, but despite my 4 year relationship, where I continue to love my ex deeply, while not completely out I am far far less emotional than I was 2 months ago. Little waves, maybe a short burst of sadness or anger, but other wise I am just getting on with it. I have come to terms with my decision to bolt and my request that she never contact me again.

It has been three weeks since the brief recycle and yes, there are moments where I miss her deeply and have to deal with some of my emotions, but I am content with the decisions made. She may never reach out to me again, which only works in my favor but it seems pretty standard operating procedure for our exBPPD's to be thinking of us, well after we have truly moved on.

In some cases it seems as though their emotions, in whatever form that might take, can sometimes be even stronger down the road.

I realize that there are snippets of reasons, the way they process, but I thought it would be a worthy of it's own posting.
newlifeBPDfree

Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 07:52:56 AM »

I agree. At first, they are too busy trying to find a replacement and latch on to someone, so the excitement of the new relationship masks any negative feelings they might have related to the previous relationship.

When my husband had an 8-month affair and would not come home at night I was in so much pain. I could not sleep at night, I felt so miserable. By the time I filed for divorce I was already starting to heal. But for him, it just started hitting him when things went sour with the mistress and when he found out that I filed for divorce so he can't just come back and act like nothing happened. What's funny, he keeps saying the divorce was the worst thing that ever happened to him and that I broke up the family forgetting that every night I was waiting for him to come home at night and begging him to end the affair and try to work on our marriage.
sun seeker

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 08:49:06 AM »

Hope.everyone is being good to themselves.

I had trouble with this one as well Limbo. It seems BPDers just  are skipping through life after a b/u.

Thats just what they want us to see and feel. This hurts us correct?

In my experience of course.  The reality of it is my xBPD is repressing (controlling) her feelings. Bpders are mastering this. To no avail.  (Feelings are all devouring for a BPDer) Once that pressure cooker blows it always does (watch your a*s) . no one can contain  this amount of repression.  (Look Bullet: comment directed to __ (click to insert in post) us  nons and our repressed feeling from child hood and how long it took us to blow.a.seal)

Just my take on this. Awesome post as.always limbo.

LimboFL

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 08:51:08 AM »

Newlife, sadly affairs are quite common (I only ever had on emotional affair in my marriage but largely because my ex wife (not BPD) was and I wasn't going to sit around on my hands). Where the BPD is clear in your case was that your exBPDh felt it completely appropriate to not hide it or not come home at night, but even more so when he seemed genuinely perplexed as to why you filed for divorce and worse yet, blamed you for the dissolution of the family. It's downright scary how completely, seemingly, oblivious to their actions and the impact of those actions on the people that love them most.  
newlifeBPDfree

Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 09:14:27 AM »

Newlife, sadly affairs are quite common (I only ever had on emotional affair in my marriage but largely because my ex wife (not BPD) was and I wasn't going to sit around on my hands). Where the BPD is clear in your case was that your exBPDh felt it completely appropriate to not hide it or not come home at night, but even more so when he seemed genuinely perplexed as to why you filed for divorce and worse yet, blamed you for the dissolution of the family. It's downright scary how completely, seemingly, oblivious to their actions and the impact of those actions on the people that love them most.  

Sadly, it was not the first time he cheated on me but it was the first time he was doing on so openly. He would have his girlfriend drop him off at my house in the morning on the way to work so he can get shower, change clothes etc.

Another funny thing is, he is actually accusing me of sleeping around and soliciting myself online (false of course and I have not even wrapped my head around dating and he is the only man I have been in 15 years... .).  I think it's called projection.

Sun seekers comment regarding pressure cooker - this is so on point! Excellent comparison. In my ex's case - I think the pressure cooker just burst open. My ex has been on this angry rage harassing me with hundreds of messages per day for 1.5 months (since our last recycle ended). Instead of trying to deal with his emotions and try to move on, he is letting the anger run wild and literally make him sick. I don't know the details but I know he is physically sick. I'm really not surprised with all his rage and not dealing with any of his emotions.
JRT

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2015, 09:55:57 AM »

Grieving in reverse... .
rj47

Relationship status: Divorced after 30 years. Still care, but moved on.

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2015, 10:42:28 AM »

I'm reading this with fascination as I'm working toward a final break with my dBPDw. I have been playing out the various scenarios that may unfold. Frankly, its causing a lot of anxiety. I spent 20 years worrying about the constant stream of episodes and rages. However, over time; no longer caring became my best therapy. Now its the aftermath causing the worry. She says she's preparing for the break, that we can be friends, and she will make it on her own.

I've suggested that we can come to terms that will favor her financially without lawyers and legal proceedings. But, when she's disregulated and in full fury the dialogue is quite different. She intends to destroy me financially and assassinate my character to anyone that will listen. I'm prepared to deal with those consequences but worry about what she may do to herself along the way. She's attempted suicide in the past, will not seek therapy, and sometimes uses it for leverage. I won't be blackmailed; not when I have maybe 15-20 good years left. I'd be better off checking out myself than live in fear another day.

I'm interested in other's experience leaving and ex-partner behavior.

"It's hard to stay mad, when there's so much beauty in the world. Sometimes I feel like I'm seeing it all at once, and it's too much, my heart fills up like a balloon that's about to burst. And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain."
sixthsense
formerly Madison19

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2015, 01:37:20 PM »

Hey Limbo,

I agree with you 150 percent! I ended things with my ex bp waif/hermit seven months ago after 14 months of being together. The unprovoked mood swings, being painted black and prolonged silent treatment took a toll. When I ended it, she didn't resist. In fact, I think I was more devastated.

The situation is complicated because we work for the same company, but different departments and we used to drive to work together.

Anyway, lately she's stepped up the cyberstalking from our work computers. Goes out of her way to catch a glimpse of me or for me to notice her. At work functions together, she appears lost and behaves awkwardly.

She hasn't found a replacement. Relationships scare her and she ends up sabotaging them so I think she'd rather avoid them all together. My ex is only 33 and when we met she told me that she had been out of a relationship (9 years) for as long as she was in one with her high school sweetheart. So, it's a safe bet she's not searching for a replacement, but is experiencing delayed grieving from our relationship.

It's tough, but I'm keeping my distance... .And it's starting to affect her.

sixthsense
Infared

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2015, 01:52:09 PM »

Yeah... .my ex was so so busy with her replacement for me initially... and hoping that I was going to chase her... .I didn't play her sick game ... .and in her dysfunctional world that meant that I did not love her... .Much later she started the drive-byes?... .plotted accidental run-ins... .she will most likely continue from time to time... .I don't think it means anything to her... .it's just entertainment for her whacky self in that moment... .I never respond or engage.

It still saddens me though. They do have quite a hold on us!
Blimblam

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2015, 03:44:36 PM »

Limbo,

I think you notticed a common pattern but keep in mines it isn't always the case.  When I think back to my ex I remember it was I who had her ear. It was I who helped her make sense of her issues. So it is late largely dependent on who has her ear at the time.  Also the way the pwBPD goes about their smear campaign and how her support group that have her ear enable her to distort her reality.  So there are variables but the pwBPDs defenses by default will seek to put as much blame as possible onto the person split black.  The idea of the split black person and the split black person themself become the container for the unwanted parts of the pwBPD.

If you flip this around it can be easily seen that us "nons," attempt to do this ourselves quite often! Splitting is a defence mechenism common to all humans. A tell tale sign of splitting is black and white thinking.

For me it took seeing splitting explained from a few different schools of thought within psychology to really click for me. From the object relations school it is explained with the concept of projective identification.

www.en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Projective_identification

In jungian depth psychology it is explained with the concept of shadow projection.

Reecer1588

Relationship status: Single

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2015, 05:35:54 PM »

Grieving in reverse... .

There are Tons of threads on this very subject. "Grieving in Reverse", ":)ealing with it later", so on and so forth.

Here's my input: There would not be so many threads and observations were there not something to it.

While there is a possible problem with a psychological term called 'groupthink'; I watched a discovery show called "Brain Games" and they have proven that something really hard to guess intuitively by an individual like "How many gumballs are in this machine?" can actually be rather accurately guessed by a group of people! Basically, the more people that guessed, the closer to the real answer the group average became. Really cool huh?

How does that tie in here? Here's my two cents: I have gone through a TON of threads from years ago up to now. Always the same thing "Our ex's seem to run off and act so happy with their lives, then later on the grief hits them"

So here's what I'm saying. There almost certainly is something to this

Now what are the reasons for their 'grieving in reverse?'

Here's the common ones I have read, just to make a list.

• They repress their emotions immediately following the split but over time they can not continue to repress them, I mean literally psychology speaking their dam breaks and they just CAN NOT physically repress the emotions anymore. Literally they might want to do so, but they can not.

• The longer we go in NC with our ex's the more likely we are no longer a trigger for them, the more likely were are painted white over time

• In general BPDs live in Opposite world so just in general this would follow that mantra.

• Their impulsive emotions were why they left us. But when there's just no reason to be impulsive anymore (long stretches of no contact) they really have nothing better to do but sit on their hands and that's when the grieving starts.

This list is not comprehensive but I think I summed up a few of the major points on this subject.

Valuable thread. It is not the first thread on this subject and I would be damned surprised if it is the last.

Hope I can add something worthwhile to the discussion.

Reece

Blimblam

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2015, 05:57:22 PM »

Sometimes pwBPD get dumped while they have no backup replacements lined up. With no enablers or new attachments that enable them to escape into a new "world," they have no choice but to experience the abandonment depression.  Once they find enablers that changes.

Always or never are absolutes which is a twisted thinking pattern that we can easily fall into when we are hurt whether we realize we are hurt or not.

Heres a link to an article about ten forms of twisted thinking

https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=56199.0
hurting300

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2015, 06:03:58 PM »

Grieving in reverse... .

There are Tons of threads on this very subject. "Grieving in Reverse", ":)ealing with it later", so on and so forth.

Here's my input: There would not be so many threads and observations were there not something to it.

While there is a possible problem with a psychological term called 'groupthink'; I watched a discovery show called "Brain Games" and they have proven that something really hard to guess intuitively by an individual like "How many gumballs are in this machine?" can actually be rather accurately guessed by a group of people! Basically, the more people that guessed, the closer to the real answer the group average became. Really cool huh?

How does that tie in here? Here's my two cents: I have gone through a TON of threads from years ago up to now. Always the same thing "Our ex's seem to run off and act so happy with their lives, then later on the grief hits them"

• They repress their emotions immediately following the split but over time they can not continue to repress them, I mean literally psychology speaking their dam breaks and they just CAN NOT physically repress the emotions anymore. Literally they might want to do so, but they can not.

• The longer we go in NC with our ex's the more likely we are no longer a trigger for them, the more likely were are painted white over time

• In general BPDs live in Opposite world so just in general this would follow that mantra.

• Their impulsive emotions were why they left us. But when there's just no reason to be impulsive anymore (long stretches of no contact) they really have nothing better to do but sit on their hands and that's when the grieving starts.

This list is not comprehensive but I think I summed up a few of the major points on this subject.

Valuable thread. It is not the first thread on this subject and I would be damned surprised if it is the last.

Reece

Reece this sounds on point.

In the eye for an eye game, he who cares least, wins. I, for one. am never stepping into the ring with someone who is impulsive and doesn't think of the downstream consequences.
Reecer1588

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2015, 06:13:38 PM »

Thanks. If anyone else has anything to add to what I wrote out you should. I think it's a very worthwhile subject.
Blimblam

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2015, 06:22:48 PM »

Thanks. If anyone else has anything to add to what I wrote out you should. I think it's a very worthwhile subject.

Reece what is it you are seeking?

What is the worthwhile subject? What you wrote or limbos thread?
Mutt
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Divorced Oct 2015

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2015, 06:29:13 PM »

Non's and relationship grieving sometimes have similar patterns with an ex partner with BPD traits.

Sometimes people don't go through the pain and start another relationship before the one they are in ends.

Are transitional objects and relationship grieving synomous with borderline personality disorder?

"Let go or be dragged" -Zen proverb
Reecer1588

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2015, 06:32:07 PM »

Reece what is it you are seeking?

What is the worthwhile subject? What you wrote or limbos thread?

What I wrote was supposed to be a specific, poignant answer to Limbo's thread.

I seek only to gain knowledge on the subject of "Grieving in Reverse." Or as Limbo put it (but essentially the same thing)
Blimblam

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2015, 06:41:11 PM »

Reece

I guess what I mean is you are worthwhile! We are all worthwhile pwBPD are worthwhile too.  Everyone deserves love!
JRT

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2015, 06:48:19 PM »

Grieving in reverse... .

Reece

Great post Reecer!
dobie

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2015, 07:06:42 PM »

I think at least mine did they grieve in the r/s makes it easier for them that way none do this too of course .
dagwoodbowser

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2015, 07:22:13 PM »

I'm fairly new to these boards but not new to dealing w/a xBPDgf. On my 4th recycle and so done! However, BPD's it seems do grieve in reverse and that's how I kept getting dragged back. The first week for me after a B/U are soo hard and pummeling. I can only describe it as a withdraw from so many intense emotions/feelings both high and low. Meanwhile she is totally clueless out finding replacements after I've been painted Black. In each and every recycle after about 80-90 days like clock work I finally get my sanity and sea legs back, but she starts to reach out with so much painful emotion that I buckle. I cant say exactly what it is that happens, either replacement didnt work out or the fact that I stick to N/C but it seems she starts to reflect and ruminate after about 2 months. The first 2-3 recycles I saw this pattern and jumped back in thinking I was stronger, better prepared with boundaries and had this down to a science. However, as they say... when you play with pigs, you get dirty. After this last recycle I realized she is just far too clever (in all the wrong ways) and manipulative and she has me pinned in a weakened position after about 6 months. So this time I blocked her phone to both texts/calls and set up Google Acct to simply delete her know emails. I love her, care for her but after 2 plus years of her emotional abuse, her cheating and lies I feel I have lost a lot of my self dignity and esteem so there simply isnt any way I can do it again. Hopefully this will be helpful to someone that is tempted to try a recycle with a former BPDx. Someways they are predictable, but they always seems to get the upper hand somehow.
antelope

« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2015, 07:23:23 PM »

Non's and relationship grieving sometimes have similar patterns with an ex partner with BPD traits.

Sometimes people don't go through the pain and start another relationship before the one they are in ends.

Are transitional objects and relationship grieving synomous with borderline personality disorder?

^^good food for thought

I'd like to add this: 'successful' grieving from this type of relationship ends with the process of detachment

those who do not truly detach continue in the cycle, hoping to deal with their grief

BPDs never detach
hurting300

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2015, 07:28:59 PM »

I've seen first hand that Cluster B disordered people do not detach. They normally always have you at arms length for whenever they need you. And my ex does not deserve love. She needs locked away so she don't destroy another innocent human being. That's very harsh of me to say but it's how I feel. People with BPD clearly know right from wrong. And I do believe they do grieve backwards from us for the most part. Yes everyone is different, but isn't it interesting how they all seem to play the same game?

In the eye for an eye game, he who cares least, wins. I, for one. am never stepping into the ring with someone who is impulsive and doesn't think of the downstream consequences.
hope2727

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2015, 08:18:21 PM »

What is the longest any of you have found that your exs reached out for you? Do they do so after having another relationship that fails or is it random?

Mine loses it every spring and I am afraid that he will contact me when this happens again. He has a replacement that he is splashing all over Facebook but he was on POF at the same time so he can't be that happy. If he dysregulates in the next 8-10 weeks like he has for the past 3 years I am scared he will contact me. Mind you he is on meds again so maybe he will be ok.

Usually he has a major blow out over April and May. I am not sure I am strong enough to resist him. Ugg. I need to move away and hide.
Reecer1588

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2015, 08:40:02 PM »

What is the longest any of you have found that your exs reached out for you? Do they do so after having another relationship that fails or is it random?

Mine loses it every spring and I am afraid that he will contact me when this happens again. He has a replacement that he is splashing all over Facebook but he was on POF at the same time so he can't be that happy. If he dysregulates in the next 8-10 weeks like he has for the past 3 years I am scared he will contact me. Mind you he is on meds again so maybe he will be ok.

Usually he has a major blow out over April and May. I am not sure I am strong enough to resist him. Ugg. I need to move away and hide.

It's  been nearly two months for me and not a peep.

However to directly answer your question I have read a user on here who wrote that an ex contacted him after 18 years of silence.
Infared

« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2015, 08:54:12 PM »

I'm fairly new to these boards but not new to dealing w/a xBPDgf. On my 4th recycle and so done! However, BPD's it seems do grieve in reverse and that's how I kept getting dragged back. The first week for me after a B/U are soo hard and pummeling. I can only describe it as a withdraw from so many intense emotions/feelings both high and low. Meanwhile she is totally clueless out finding replacements after I've been painted Black. In each and every recycle after about 80-90 days like clock work I finally get my sanity and sea legs back, but she starts to reach out with so much painful emotion that I buckle. I cant say exactly what it is that happens, either replacement didnt work out or the fact that I stick to N/C but it seems she starts to reflect and ruminate after about 2 months. The first 2-3 recycles I saw this pattern and jumped back in thinking I was stronger, better prepared with boundaries and had this down to a science. However, as they say... when you play with pigs, you get dirty. After this last recycle I realized she is just far too clever (in all the wrong ways) and manipulative and she has me pinned in a weakened position after about 6 months. So this time I blocked her phone to both texts/calls and set up Google Acct to simply delete her know emails. I love her, care for her but after 2 plus years of her emotional abuse, her cheating and lies I feel I have lost a lot of my self dignity and esteem so there simply isnt any way I can do it again. Hopefully this will be helpful to someone that is tempted to try a recycle with a former BPDx. Someways they are predictable, but they always seems to get the upper hand somehow.

They are predators. They pick "us" for a reason.
Reecer1588

« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2015, 08:56:43 PM »

They are predators. They pick "us" for a reason

I know exactly where you are coming from. I want to tell you though that I am of the opinion, that we should AVOID these "us vs. them" kind of statements. They lead us nowhere. They are not Machiavellian predators cunningly planning out their ascent to power. From the research and learning I've done, their emotionally impulsive behavior is beyond their conscious control. Not to go too deep here but I'm going to go pretty deep here. Borderlines might have differing activity in the Amygdala (the emotional center of the brain), which leads them to these intense emotions. The "conscious" and executive function is in the Frontal Cortex of the Brain. Essentially, they literally are NOT consciously doing these things when they are emotionally disregulating. They are not lions stalking their pray man. They're disordered human beings.
hope2727

« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2015, 08:58:49 PM »

I don't want to vilify mine. I am not perfect either. He is not intentionally trying to hurt me. He is just one big raw pile of hurt and he lashes out as he doesn't know how to be happy. I on the other hand do. I am grieving. I am sad. He is suffering in a way that only he can heal with the help of a therapist and meds. I wouldn't want to walk his path for all the tea in china.
Infared

« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2015, 09:01:06 PM »

After about a year, still in the relationship with the guy she cheated on me with she would attempt contacts. I disallowed them because of the way I had been treated.

I do not think she wanted to recycle,... .I think she was just trying to see if she could set the hook or if I was available. That was my read... .but I would not even say hello to her so I am not sur. if I was walking down the street tomorrow, and she saw me(only if she was alone), she would try to approach me with this look on her face like nothing ever happened. I am just not having THAT conversation. I love myself enough now to just cross the street... .it hurts inside emotionally... .but I take the healthy action.

I will not make excuses for her, mentally ill or not she went waaaaay out of her way to hurt me.
JPH

« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2015, 09:11:22 PM »

My ex-BPD girlfriend seemed to have no problem "moving on" until I, too, moved on. Perhaps I'm cynical, but I don't think it had anything to do with her genuinely caring about me or regretting what she did to me. She just wanted me to sit alone like a toy on a shelf and to be there if she opted to return. I think the only thing that bothered her was my unavailability. There was no feeling of substantive loss on her part. I could be wrong but that's my take.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest