Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 29, 2024, 05:04:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Depression = 72% of members
Take the test, read about the implications, and check out the remedies.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tired of walking on eggshells  (Read 352 times)
Mustbeabetterway

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: March 29, 2015, 09:28:26 AM »

Lately, I Have had some success at curbing my codepent reactions.  I have been feeling more relaxed and not so anxious about doing everything right.  Just trying to take care of myself and my own issues. 

My uBPDh and I were having a surprisingly open conversation about his father who passed away 4 years ago.  FIL was definitely BPD/npd.  Very difficult to get along with.  In my husband's FOO lots of WOE, push and pull and crazy making stuff. 

I have been in the family for decades.  I was close to my FIL and took him to doctor's appts.  Sat with him while he was ill and he lived with us for a short time.

The conversation and reminiscing was so open, I let my guard down and said truthfully, you know your dad brings up mixed feelings for me.  This was about 10 minutes into the conversation, not the first thing I said.

Well my H just went off and said I was disrespectful, etc, etc,  then for 4 days now every time he gets a chance, he works "have mixed feelings" into the conversation. 

Like "oh, so you have mixed feelings about that?" And so on. 

So tired of WOE.
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

believer55

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 07:39:25 PM »

It can be very exhausting. Especially when you are not allowed to bring up anything they may have said or done in the past but they will keep repeating a phrase you used, like in your case, and rubbing it in your face even though you meant no ill by it.

It can be so hard trying to convey your emotions if they have any negative connotation to someone with BPD - they just can not handle it.

Best of luck  Smiling (click to insert in post)
waverider
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: married 8 yrs, together 16yrs

If YOU don't change, things will stay the same

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 06:16:23 AM »

He is doing it deliberately to annoy you. If you have told him that it is disrespectful and annoying, then you will have to decide whether its worth a boundary or not. The only reason you need is that it is a deliberate action that makes you feel bad =emotional abuse.

Do not have mixed feelings about this, either ignore it and let it wash or remove yourself from it.

Things wont change until you make a change. If he can get away with this example, then there will be other issues of the same ilk. You need to demonstrate that you have the capability to not allow yourself to be exposed to it.

Reality is shared and open to debate, feelings are individual and real
an0ught
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner
Relationship status: married

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2015, 01:09:49 PM »

Excerpt
Like "oh, so you have mixed feelings about that?" And so on. 

Looks like he is looking for a fight. Don't JADE, don't pick up the gauntlet!

Do not beat yourself up for being open and taking a risk you did nothing wrong. Just because he is now using "mixed feelings" as club to beat you over the head. It is just his newest tool and luckily it is nothing very personal.

Having mixed feelings about some things is normal but is a concept that is very hard to swallow for a pwBPD who strongly prefers a more clearer black and white view of life.

Mixed feelings is dialectic and an important stepping stone to feel comfortable with Grey. We love our partners a lot and we dislike quite a bit about their behavior and we are ok with that. Well, our partners struggle with such realities a lot.

Him using "mixed feeling" in inappropriate ways to hurt you is also a sign of immaturity (surprise) as is might well be insecurity of how to relate to the concept. It might be worth for you at times to take more dialectical positions (avoid the term "mixed feelings as it is for the time being tainted) as he ultimately needs to become more comfortable with the concept.

Writing is self validation. Writing on bpdfamily is self validation squared!
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest