Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 09:22:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Boyfriend is mad at me. Handling it the best I can. Feel bad.  (Read 400 times)
misuniadziubek

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Semi-long distance relationship living apart.

« on: April 03, 2015, 10:48:09 PM »

We usually spend our weekends together, but last weekend my uBPDbf was expressing a lot of dissatisfaction with the relationship. He told me he doesn't see much of a future, that he was exhausted of our constant fighting and that it was making intimacy with me very difficult and not fun. Obviously, blaming the problem on me and how I mess things up by doing silly things like sitting on his keyboard or not giving him the right power adapter. He even got pretty adamant about us -probably- being over, 

That weekend also included a confrontation with his roommate on my part. Boyfriend and I were arguing and she heard it. He was telling me to leave. I was refusing to, knowing that this wasn't a serious fight. She started yelling at me to just go, since he had asked me to. She expressed that she was tired of the drama every weekend and that she only had 2 days off each week and it wasn't to hear us bicker. I instantly apologized, proceeded to leave the premises,  and instantly my bf and I were back to on good terms.

So my solution? I told my boyfriend that I'd come visit again in two weeks rather then the coming weekend, especially since it was Easter and I wanted to spend some time with my family. We had a very nice heartfelt goodbye and he agreed that it was a good idea. It's also a way for me to recharge, honestly.

Then today he starts messaging me.

Excerpt
Bf: You coming up today

Me: No, love,  I told you I'd come up next Friday

Bf. Oh. What are you up to?

Bf: K ( I didn't answer right away)

Me: Seeing my family and stuff. Dealing with the FedEx crap as well. Getting my mom certification from a valid association. Nothing exciting.

Me: Also... Finding a job, Laugh out loud (click to insert in post) making my car drivable... .

Me: Miss you, though

Bf: K... .

Me: You doing okay?

Bf: Eh.

Me: What's going on, hon?

Bf: Hmm.

Me:[Send him a funny picture]

Bf: Hmm... .

Me: whats with all the hmm's hon ?

Me: so you're just not talking to me

Me: well that's really unfortunate. I like talking to you, but I'm not sure there's much I can do to change that.

Have a good night, then, love. I love you.

Chat Conversation End

Firstly, I have to stick to my guns. He has guilted me plenty of times before into coming up when I had expressed I couldn't. He's big on deciding on things ahead of time, and then it's set in stone and if I'm not there, trouble is to be had. So, I do the same, except that I'm more flexible. If I'm able to come, I'll come, letting him know a day earlier. This we decided last week. Now he's mad because he misses me and wants to spend time with me.

So he's giving me his version of the silent treatment by not really responding. I can only ask a few times before I give him his space. I can't be reactive or upset. He's upset because he doesn't want to spend Easter alone. I already made plans with my family. I feel bad for him.
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

an0ught
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner
Relationship status: married

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 09:03:02 AM »

Hi misuniadziubek,

not much you can do here. What might have been an option would be instead of "Miss you, though" validating him feeling lonely, disappointed etc... But again that is details. He asked you to leave and while he had not intended it his roommate amplified his request. These are consequences of his own actions and are very helpful although painful for him to learn to control his behavior.

Happy Easter,

a0

Writing is self validation. Writing on bpdfamily is self validation squared!
misuniadziubek

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 02:55:01 PM »

Hi misuniadziubek,

not much you can do here. What might have been an option would be instead of "Miss you, though" validating him feeling lonely, disappointed etc... But again that is details. He asked you to leave and while he had not intended it his roommate amplified his request. These are consequences of his own actions and are very helpful although painful for him to learn to control his behavior.

Happy Easter,

a0

You're absolutely right. He was trying to express how angry he was with me, by telling me to leave, but at this point I know him better than to just leave. It escalated too quickly for him and at that point it was too late to take back his words, so I acted accordingly. It was the quickest argument we ever had. By seeing me being confronted by his roommate, suddenly he wanted to deescalate everything and go back to normal and he couldn't. Actions have consequences.

Next time, we leave the house and talk it out somewhere else. That was the deal.

I guess validation is a way better strategy. I convince myself telling him I miss him is effective but it might only be that for me.

I guess in a way I take responsibility for his emotions. I want to make it better for him. The way you comfort a child who fell and hit their head.

He asked if he couldn't just be miserable. He's spending Easter alone.

I told him that he has every right to feel that way. I didn't realize it was such a big deal to be with me Easter, but I'd feel like that too if I was him and that it must be really hard.

He didn't tell me, but he went to spend the night at his best friend's by the location marker on his last message.
waverider
Retired Staff

Relationship status: married 8 yrs, together 16yrs

If YOU don't change, things will stay the same

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 05:37:31 PM »

Be aware of overselling miserable. It can be a way of obtaining sympathy, so while you are feeling guilty about it, he has put it aside and doing something else.

Make your decisions and then dont stew on them or feel guilty. You did not create this.

Be wary of Waif traits

A good workshop on BPD types here:

BPD BEHAVIORS: Waif, Hermit, Queen, and Witch

Reality is shared and open to debate, feelings are individual and real
formflier
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2015, 06:43:49 PM »

Me: well that's really unfortunate. I like talking to you, but I'm not sure there's much I can do to change that.

Might want to be careful with this part.

You asked a question... he chose... .for some reason... .not to answer.

Usually best not to try to make statements to fill in the blanks he left.  Just leave them blank.

"so... you are not talking to me could have been the start of a text argument... .best not to argue with pwBPD.   Even better to avoid doing it via text."

Great job making your own plans and sticking to them!

FF

misuniadziubek

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 05:01:51 PM »

Be aware of overselling miserable. It can be a way of obtaining sympathy, so while you are feeling guilty about it, he has put it aside and doing something else.

Make your decisions and then dont stew on them or feel guilty. You did not create this.

Be wary of Waif traits

A good workshop on BPD types here:

BPD BEHAVIORS: Waif, Hermit, Queen, and Witch

That's actually really helpful. You're right in terms of him overselling his misery. I had this urge to make it better for him. I know he doesn't do well with holidays and I've BEEN alone on holidays before and I felt miserable so I can relate to it a -little- too well. I wanted to offer to go out of my way to come up to see him at work or SOMETHING. Lol.

That's pretty horrible, honestly. It would be turning my back on my family just because he felt lonely. My parents had a pretty wonderful dinner with all my relatives and some of their friends there and being there made me extremely happy. My dad expressed how much he enjoyed and appreciated me being home this holiday. I got into some arguments with my mom, but it's to be expected. She had some bad NPD going on for most of my childhood and with age the negative behaviours only come out when we spend too much time with each other, and unfortunately I turn to JADE-ing by reflex.

I have to remind myself that no matter what he says, I'm not responsible for his emotions. He chose to work Easter. He knew I was spending the weekend with my parents. I extended an invitation but he instantly was turned off to the idea because he doesn't want -anything- to do with religious crap :P. That was -his- decision. Then he implied that I didn't invite him. I simply gave him the facts. If he's miserable, he can do a lot of other things. He can spend time with friends. He's not a wounded puppy that can't do anything.

He survived it. He was moody and distant for a couple days ( lots of eh, mehs, and k's) but eventually calmed down yesterday started asking when I was coming up again, since I never give him a specific time. I empathised with him told him that he's right, I should be more transparent about my plans when I come up. I'm not actually sure if that's the way I should respond, though. He always has complaints about me and I sometimes don't know anymore which ones to entertain.

Might want to be careful with this part.

You asked a question... he chose... .for some reason... .not to answer.

Usually best not to try to make statements to fill in the blanks he left.  Just leave them blank.

"so... you are not talking to me could have been the start of a text argument... .best not to argue with pwBPD.   Even better to avoid doing it via text."

Great job making your own plans and sticking to them!

FF

Thank you. I knew I was standing my ground and sticking to my plans and doing well, but it's not until today that I finally realised just how important it was that I did that, ESPECIALLY for myself. I had the strength to go through with it. That's pretty amazing.

I have some sort of saviour complex where I want to make things better for him, like for a crying child. Yet, even when you are raising a kid, you have to let them experience the consequences of their own actions and comfort them if they reach out, rather than save the day. Another thing I learned from the boundaries book Smiling (click to insert in post)

Definitely see the mistake in making assumptions or filling in the blanks. It's a definite trigger for a fight. He got somewhat angry over me 'badgering' him.
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 07:06:36 PM »

I empathised with him told him that he's right, I should be more transparent about my plans when I come up. I'm not actually sure if that's the way I should respond, though. He always has complaints about me and I sometimes don't know anymore which ones to entertain.

Hey... .so... .one thing to be very careful of in BPD r/s situations is when they are upset... .we change our behavior in an effort to calm their "upsetness" (did I just make up a word?   )

IMO... .much better to show empathy or validate his feeling and frustration... .and NOT tie a change in your actions to that.

Thoughts?

FF

waverider
Retired Staff

Relationship status: married 8 yrs, together 16yrs

If YOU don't change, things will stay the same

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2015, 08:30:13 PM »

IMO... .much better to show empathy or validate his feeling and frustration... .and NOT tie a change in your actions to that.

This is important it prevents it from becoming an effective tool to achieve a goal. Effective tools are reused.

Reality is shared and open to debate, feelings are individual and real
misuniadziubek

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2015, 11:06:29 PM »

This is important it prevents it from becoming an effective tool to achieve a goal. Effective tools are reused.

Maybe that's where we have the most issues, that it becomes a neverending circle. I try to appease him by telling him I 'should' do something instead, but that's not actually what I think.
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2015, 06:18:27 AM »

Maybe that's where we have the most issues, that it becomes a neverending circle. I try to appease him by telling him I 'should' do something instead, but that's not actually what I think.

That is a big insight... .I would spend some time thinking on this.  Thinking on understanding this dynamic in your r/s.

What happens if you don't appease him?

Lastly... .do you like the never ending circle? 

Misuniadziubek,

Great job on these posts... .keep it up.  !

FF

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest