Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 18, 2024, 11:57:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: looking for support  (Read 398 times)
sim1
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Living together for 2 months

« on: April 05, 2015, 01:29:08 PM »

Hello everyone!

I am in a fairly new relationship with a woman who has BPD. I really am looking for support in understanding the chaos that has become my life. My partner and I have been together for only 9 months. We moved in together 2 months ago and that is when things became very overwhelming for me. She went from being someone kind and loving to treating me like the enemy. The worst part for me is never being able to resolve any concerns I have. She blames absolutely everything on me. Not able to take responsibility for anything. Even her apologies are aggressive with blame laid at my feet.

I am invested in making this work. But I recognize I am getting lost in managing her emotions while neglecting my own.

Thanks for listening.

Sim1
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Rockylove

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 04:40:18 PM »

I hope you find the support you need here... .I surely have!  My best advise to you is to read ALL of the information here (to the right are all kinds of information you'll find helpful)  I started my quest for answers to the "craziness" when I happened upon the book Stop Walking on Eggshells.  Look through the lessons and tools... .you'll be glad you did.  Welcome!
an0ught
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner
Relationship status: married

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 11:54:02 AM »

Welcome sim1,

I am in a fairly new relationship with a woman who has BPD. I really am looking for support in understanding the chaos that has become my life. My partner and I have been together for only 9 months. We moved in together 2 months ago and that is when things became very overwhelming for me. She went from being someone kind and loving to treating me like the enemy. The worst part for me is never being able to resolve any concerns I have. She blames absolutely everything on me. Not able to take responsibility for anything. Even her apologies are aggressive with blame laid at my feet.

arguing won't solve much - that is why marriage counseling fails in cases of BPD relationships. You have not real factual conflicts but are dealing with out of control behavior triggered by invalidation.

I am invested in making this work. But I recognize I am getting lost in managing her emotions while neglecting my own.

You are not responsible how she feels - that is walking on eggshells. What is of values is validation which helps her to regulate better what she feels to a less extreme level. Validation properly practiced by you will allow you to feel her emotions less. As you reflect them back to her they become disarmed and have less impact on your own mind.

Keep in mind that you deserve having some peace of mind - if you need take a step back - protect yourself with boundaries!

You find more on the concept of validation and boundaries in the LESSONS.

Welcome to the board,

a0

Writing is self validation. Writing on bpdfamily is self validation squared!
EaglesJuju
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 08:52:49 PM »

Hi sim1, 

Welcome aboard.

I am sorry that are you have such a difficult time.   I understand what it feels like to have things constantly being blamed on you.  Coping with behaviors from a person with BPD (pwBPD) can be completely overwhelming. You have come to the right place for support and tools to help you improve your relationship.

It is really easy to get lost in your partners emotions and completely neglect your own.  Unfortunately, our pwBPD can consume a lot of our energy and time when we are feeling that we are constantly walking on eggshells.  There are things we can do to alleviate this.  Although we cannot change our pwBPD's behaviors and thoughts, we do have the ability to change our own. 

The best way to improve our relationship is to start focusing on our own needs. For a very long time, I completely forgot about my own needs and primarily focused on my pwBPD's.  I constantly spent the majority of my time focused on my bf's behaviors. I ended up feeling overwhelmed, angry, and feeling exhausted. I found that having an outside support group of friends, family, and my therapist really helped me. My support system helped me alleviate a lot of frustration. Having less frustration and anxiety helped me support my bf. Taking care of yourself first is really important. Do you have a support system?

Also, we can learn how to change how we communicate. Prior to using communication tools, I tended to add fuel to the fire and argued back and forth with my bf. Other times, I would not say anything in fear of him getting upset or angry. Most of the time I ended up feeling angry for not being able to say anything or frustrated. Learning communication tools has helped me address my concerns with my bf. Here is an article to help you get started.

Communication tools (SET, PUVAS, DEARMAN)

Looking forward to reading your response.   Smiling (click to insert in post)

"In order to take control of our lives and accomplish something of lasting value, sooner or later we need to Believe. We simply need to believe in the power that is within us, and use it." -Benjamin Hoff
Loosestrife

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 03:57:53 PM »

an0ught- if MC doesn't work what do you suggest?
an0ught
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner
Relationship status: married

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 05:20:45 PM »

an0ught- if MC doesn't work what do you suggest?

Working each individually. In the end the only one you have a chance to control is yourself. Breaking unhealty interdependece is hard to work on as a team when the drama of unskilled negotiation is feeding the unhealty patterns.

Writing is self validation. Writing on bpdfamily is self validation squared!
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest