Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 29, 2024, 04:24:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My Introductrion  (Read 408 times)
Soulfire

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: April 12, 2015, 04:12:16 PM »

Hello Everyone,

I am in a very frustrating relationship, but I DEEPLY Love her and I see progress being made but then it all unwinds. Every time I express concerns that I am being neglected in some way, no matter how I try to have the conversations, it IMMEDIATELY turns into a fight. She carries a lot of baggage from her past relationships as well (I have some too, let's be honest) and has a tendency to displace those experiences onto me over the smallest possible similarities sometimes. Most recently she became overwhelmed by situations in her life and said to me that she felt suicidal. Now normally (And I know that this is not the correct response) I take this somewhat lightly as a threat and only acknowledge it as an indicator of her feelings, but this time she said for the first time in a long time she had actually thought it out and had a plan. I have enough of a psychology background to know that is a major alarm. We got into an argument not long after this and then, because I called her frequently, texted to make sure she was ok, and even sent someone to check on her when she wasn't answering at all she said I am acting like a "creeper." This invalidation of my own concerns for her safety is BEYOND frustrating. She frequently uses the cold shoulder method of dealing with things with me as well, which is sometimes actually preferential to her anger, but it has lasted weeks at a time before. I just don't know where else to turn so I hope I can get some help here. She frequently fixates on the black and white paradigm BPD people have and far too often condemns herself as "Bad" without any hope of a better life.

PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

waverider
Retired Staff

Relationship status: married 8 yrs, together 16yrs

If YOU don't change, things will stay the same

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 01:02:20 AM »

Welcome

Hi Soulfire,

Thank you for sharing your story with us. I am sorry to hear the pain and confusion this situation is causing you. We are here to help you see past your current sense of frustration.

Suicidal idealization is fairly commonly linked with this disorder and is closely tied to depression and extreme thinking. It should not be dismissed and should be taken seriously in order that it doesn't compound. Has she seen a psychiatrist about this? If not it should be discussed, as I am sure she would like some help with this. There could be readily identified reasons or even medications that may help.

Please take some time to read our following workshop where this is discussed extensively

TOOLS: Depression and Suicidal Ideation

Has she been diagnosed with BPD, or is this just something you suspect.? A lot of what you dscribe does sound similar to what others here have experienced.

Do you think she evokes the rescuer in you?

Waverider

Reality is shared and open to debate, feelings are individual and real
Soulfire

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 09:42:16 AM »

Has she been diagnosed with BPD, or is this just something you suspect.? A lot of what you dscribe does sound similar to what others here have experienced.

Do you think she evokes the rescuer in you?

Waverider

She has the Dx. And she definitely evokes that from me.
waverider
Retired Staff

Relationship status: married 8 yrs, together 16yrs

If YOU don't change, things will stay the same

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 06:22:06 PM »

Are you familiar with the drama triangle?

PERSPECTIVES: Conflict dynamics / Karpman Triangle

It is important we don't get stuck in this or the dynamics just keep spinning.

One day when I was busy "rescuing" she made a very insightful comment "stop enabling me to be disabled"... then the insight was gone as she turned the needy tap back on again...

A needy person will continue to bleed you for as long as you are will to give blood, even if they hate themselves for it. It is almost like self harming their own self respect.

The process of being rescuing is validating to them, but they dont want to be rescued as an end game otherwise the act of rescuing stops. They want to keep the rescuing ongoing.

Reality is shared and open to debate, feelings are individual and real
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest