Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 24, 2024, 07:49:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Family Court Strategies: When Your Partner Has BPD OR NPD Traits. Practicing lawyer, Senior Family Mediator, and former Licensed Clinical Social Worker with twelve years’ experience and an expert on navigating the Family Court process.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: attachment disorders  (Read 381 times)
catclaw

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: April 17, 2015, 02:30:56 AM »

Hey there.

I'm concerned about one thing lately. We knew that S7 had attachment issues (having moved 8 times in 7 years, in an out of foster care etc.). He's been living with his dad and me for 9 months now. Things are really getting better for him, as he's in play therapy and a concentration training programme at school. It goes slowly, but it goes the right direction Smiling (click to insert in post)

He had trouble keeping distance with strangers - after the first "hello" he would take them by the hand, want  to sit on their lap etc. We figured out a way to interfere with this behaviour. Anyway, a few days ago, SS was playing in the public park next to our garden (20mtrs away from the house) with some children from the block. When he came back he told me about that nice man hanging around there and that he played with him. We talked and talked and he was insisting he "KNOWS" this man after that one day he waved at him and SS waved back. He states that he trusts him, because that day he almost fell into the little river (it hardly covers your feet when you walk through) and the man held him and asked if he was OK. I told him again (after we already had a few talks about this) that it is not OK to talk to strange adults and playing with them is not even an option. There were other kids there, but he prefered to play with that man. Not only had he now clue what I was talking about, but he kept insisting on trusting this man and would even start crying. Since he moved in with us, his BPDm has presented him 4 (or 5?) different men she was in relationships with. This is all he knows - as soon as there is a strange man, they're trustable and body contact is normal then. We're in contact with his therapist and teacher and this kind of network has been pretty helpful so far. They want to pick this topic up in the group again and his T will work on this physical boundary issue again. In the meantime, BPDm has broken up with yet another man SS7 got attached to.

Do yo have any thoughts on this? Any experiences?

enlighten me

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 03:17:48 AM »

Im no pscologist but this to me sounds like your son is doing this because when his mum has a new boyfriend it makes her happy if he bonds with them. This seems to be deeply engrained and almost natural to him.

I dont know if its possible to discuss this with his mum but he needs to learn that only adults that are introduced to him are appropriate to interact with.

It must be a terrifying situation to be in.

catclaw

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 06:09:13 AM »

I don't think talking to his mother would be a good idea - she always feels like we are attacking her. Plus, she doesn't see any problem in this behaviour of having no physical boundaries. In her opinion, he just likes to cuddle with whomever because he needs physical contact so much.

I thought about having SS7 stay in the garden when he's outdoors, but this would be like a punishment. There are hordes of kids of his age playing in the park. And he would not understand why, because he doesn't understand why interacting with strangers could be problematic at all. I told him that if there ever comes a situation with an adult talking to him again, to come home and tell me (or his dad or his grandmother) immediately so we can have an eye on the situation or talk to that certain person. His reaction was "and when you said hello to them, I am allowed to play with them again?". Just no... . :/

We had the "don't talk to strangers/ don't go with strangers" talk quite a few times since he's with us. It's right, it's terrifying. I'm searching for children's books about this topic right now and DH and I are going to a counselor to get information about abuse prevention and communicating such issues with SS7. It might sound silly and over the top, but we really need to get him to understand this or at least having him stick to this rule... . :/
Sunfl0wer
`

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: He moved out mid March

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 07:30:49 AM »

Can you find a way to supervise him?  It sounds like having the freedom to just go and play is what everyone is doing, as it is so close.  But maybe there is a teen kid close by anyway who could big a big brother type to him so he can still go out but also be supervised?  Or, maybe he cannot learn to avoid the adults to play with, but can he learn "the buddy system?"  Like invent a way for him to be with a peer at all times?  Can you think of a creative way to "supervise" him maybe? 

How wrong it is for a woman to expect the man to build the world she wants, rather than to create it herself.~Anais Nin
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest