Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 18, 2024, 07:00:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Before you can make things better, you have to stop making them worse... Have you considered that being critical, judgmental, or invalidating toward the other parent, no matter what she or he just did will only make matters worse? Someone has to be do something. This means finding the motivation to stop making things worse, learning how to interrupt your own negative responses, body language, facial expressions, voice tone, and learning how to inhibit your urges to do things that you later realize are contributing to the tensions.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need advice on co-parenting with BPD parent  (Read 339 times)
Patient
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: April 19, 2015, 06:46:29 AM »

I think my wife has BPD and I have a 30 month old son. Its at times difficult for my son to make sense of her rage and anger.

Can you suggest some resources or ways to deal with this?
livednlearned
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 10:13:45 AM »

Hi Patient,

I like your avatar name -- it's a much-needed quality when dealing with a BPD co-parent! Welcome to the site, I'm glad you found it and are looking for support. These are difficult relationships and having key information can make a big difference in raising an emotionally resilient child when the other parent has BPD.

While there are quite a few members here who are divorced from the BPD parent, so not all of the Lesson to the right in the sidebar will apply. However, Lesson 5 (Raising Resilient Kids When A Parent Has BPD) is right up your alley.

The key is validation. This is by far the most important skill you can possibly learn, and it's great that you are finding this now when your son is 3. People with BPD have higher than average needs for validation, and oftentimes, those of us married to BPD partners have high needs for validation too (because our partners cannot provide this). That means ours kids are more susceptible than normal to feel invalidated, and this can lead to serious problems as they get older.

If your wife rages at your son and he is sad, it is appropriate to take him aside and ask him if he is feeling sad, and to validate how he feels. If he felt scared, it's important to validate that he felt scared. Our instinct is to say, "Your mom loves you, she had a bad day, etc." That teaches the child that abuse and love are tied together, and then he was wrong to feel scared, he should've felt love, when in fact it is difficult to feel loved when someone is raging at us.

I hope this makes sense. It's a very simple concept with profound implications, and it can take a lot of practice to get it right.

Does your son have a strong bond with you? When his mom is raging at him, what does he do? 

Breathe.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest